NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

You all seem to forget that although the Diamondbacks play in downtown Phoenix, they are called the ARIZONA Diamondbacks.

So why not the Phoenix to Arizona change to the Coyotes?

That's because when the organization started they were truly meant to be Arizona's team with farm teams throughout the state.

The Arizona Cardinals name change from Phoenix to Arizona for like zero reason. When they first moved to Arizona, they played in Tempe, not Phoenix. There was never any pressure to be the Tempe Cardinals. In fact, The Phoenix Cardinals have never really played a game IN Phoenix.

But when it comes to the Phoenix Coyotes, it is the city of Glendale and really only the elected officials of the city of Glendale who have made it a stink that the Coyotes are still named the Phoenix Coyotes or have bemoaned the fact it's the University of Phoenix Stadium. Your average citizen of said town could really care less.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought it was dumber to have them called the Phoenix Coyotes since they don't actually play IN Phoenix anymore.

When you get the Jets and Giants to change their names, I'll ask the Coyotes to fall in line.

And they technically play in Metro Phoenix, since Glendale is and will always be a suburb.

And don't forget the Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills, the Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, the Ottawa Senators play in Kanata, and let's not forget my own Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim ( :rolleyes: ).

Glendale is literally right next to Phoenix. It's part of it. Glendale has this whole marketing campaign to try and make itself a great, independent city. It's not.

You do realize that your statement on Phoenix/Glendale is the same statement everyone else makes about LA/Anaheim correct? So, what's the difference?

Having now lived in both areas, I can tell you there is a difference.

LA and Anaheim are different culturally and economically. The distance is greater. If you looked at Anaheim/OC on its own, it's a large population/urban area/economic area.

Phoenix and Glendale are literally the same place. They share a city border. Glendale on its own is nothing. To make a comparison to OC, Glendale is like a crappier Irvine. Glendale isn't a large anything. Their bigger sense of themselves is completely manufactured. Whereas with Anaheim/OC is actually is a bigger place.

I don't have specific statistics or anything. But it's the feel of the whole thing. That isn't a valid comparison.

You all seem to forget that although the Diamondbacks play in downtown Phoenix, they are called the ARIZONA Diamondbacks.

So why not the Phoenix to Arizona change to the Coyotes?

That's because when the organization started they were truly meant to be Arizona's team with farm teams throughout the state.

The Arizona Cardinals name change from Phoenix to Arizona for like zero reason. When they first moved to Arizona, they played in Tempe, not Phoenix. There was never any pressure to be the Tempe Cardinals. In fact, The Phoenix Cardinals have never really played a game IN Phoenix.

But when it comes to the Phoenix Coyotes, it is the city of Glendale and really only the elected officials of the city of Glendale who have made it a stink that the Coyotes are still named the Phoenix Coyotes or have bemoaned the fact it's the University of Phoenix Stadium. Your average citizen of said town could really care less.

The thing with the University of Phoenix stadium though is that the building and the land are owned by the Arizona Tourism/Sports/Leisure board. Glendale doesn't get hardly anything from the actual stadium. The Arizona TSL board can name it whatever they want. Plus the University is an online university. It might as well be named for the actual Phoenix bird than the city.

Glendale is trying to think of itself as larger than it is. Remember a while ago there was the rumbling that they wanted it to be the Glendale Coyotes? Well they know that wouldn't fly, but they don't want to be Phoenix either. Arizona covers the whole thing.

I really don't have a problem with Arizona Coyotes. I mean Arizona Cardinals/Diamondbacks are fine because they are they are the only professional teams in the state. Hell if the Diamondbacks were originally the Phoenix Diamondbacks, whatever. Hell Arizona Suns wouldn't be weird either. Phoenix Coyotes was fine because they played in Phoenix. But had they been the Arizona Coyotes, it wouldnt have mattered either.

The only time the state names are weird are when it's not the only team in the state. California Angels, Golden State Warriors, Florida Panthers, etc. FWIW those are all weird because they were all formed after there were other teams in the state already, but whatever.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Didn't see an AHL thread, and it's kinda NHL related, so I'm posting here.

The Philadelphia Adirondack Phantoms played the W-B Penguins in Philadelphia at the Corestates FU Wachovia Wells Fargo Center, and wore Flyers-esque jerseys. No pics from the game, this is the best I could find.

34j62yq.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Philadelphia Adirondack Phantoms played the W-B Penguins in Philadelphia at the Corestates FU Wachovia Wells Fargo Center, and wore Flyers-esque jerseys. No pics from the game, this is the best I could find.

34j62yq.jpg

They've worn these on and off since last season.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

34j62yq.jpg

They've worn these on and off since last season.

Yes they are the 3rd jerseys for the Phantoms

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

Proposed Columbus alternate logos. Most of them are very, very nice.

0127-cbj-3rdconcepts.jpg

I dig that crossed cannons logo. Reminds me of the old Charleston Battery Soccer team logo.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

The only time the state names are weird are when it's not the only team in the state. California Angels, Golden State Warriors, Florida Panthers, etc.

In the Panthers' case, it's more of a play on words than anything else.

Miami Panthers could have worked, but they chose not to go with it. Guess they felt it didn't sound right. *Shrug*

W133fxD.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Watching the 2009 All Star game on VS right now, i dont see a team patch on any of the players jerseys. Did they not have it on the jersey? the one arm has the players number and the all star logo patch on it, the other arm has star patches with all they years the Montreal had an all star game

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

It seems like it would be weird to be a Denver or Phoenix sports fan, where your various favorite teams can't decide if they represent the city or the state. It's so inconsistent. What makes the Avs and Rockies represent the whole state in ways that the Nuggets and Broncos don't? I don't even think they do. It's stupid. Following the Chicago Cubs but the Illinois Bulls would be too. Pick a lane.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Received a Columbus alternate jersey for my birthday today, never seen a crest quite like this one. The off-white color on the crest is 'fuzzy', for lack of a better term. Thought it was an interesting detail. Jersey also has the JHM initals on the back of the color and a star stripe and team slogan on the inside of the color. Hadn't seen these details mentioned before.

Received a Columbus alternate jersey for my birthday today, never seen a crest quite like this one. The off-white color on the crest is 'fuzzy', for lack of a better term. Thought it was an interesting detail. Jersey also has the JHM initals on the back of the color and a star stripe and team slogan on the inside of the color. Hadn't seen these details mentioned before.

Like the Wild's home crest? This isn't the greatest pic, but it's what I have:

MINH3.jpg

Pens 2011 Winter Classic jersey was like this as well. Felt-like crest and "January 1st 2011" printed on the inside collar. Certainly makes spotting the knockoffs easier.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

And don't forget the Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills, the Dallas Cowboys play in Arlington, the Ottawa Senators play in Kanata, and let's not forget my own Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim ( :rolleyes: ).

Glendale is literally right next to Phoenix. It's part of it. Glendale has this whole marketing campaign to try and make itself a great, independent city. It's not.

Actually Kanata is in Ottawa....

tigercatssignature-1.png

Actually Kanata is in Ottawa....

Kanata was only amalgamated by Ottawa in 2001. It's not exactly in the heart of Ottawa. It's considered a suburb.

Archived