2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

A tie is good for the Americans. It makes the 2nd game against Slovenia a little more managable. But, it remains to be seen what Slovenia can do when they face Algeria tomorrow, so who knows what kind of team the Americans will get on Friday, but if Slovenia loses then the Americans better be careful since a cornered animal is the most dangerous.

The team I was most impressed with today was actually South Korea. They came out like gangbusters and made the Greeks look bad (Speaking of which, the Greeks still haven't scored a goal in World Cup play... I want to feel sorry for them, but their inept play today just tells me why they haven't scored a goal in World Cup play. They just suck!). If the Koreans can bring that energy to their next game against Argentina, then you might see a close game or possibly an upset.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an England point of view, an ok performance that doesn't iron out any of the concerns. Not a killer of result, as wevshould get 6 points from Algeria and Slovenia, but it puts the pressure on the next game.

I thought onyewu was a real rock at the back for the US, and would be my man of the match, the US looked pretty good without worrying any really good team. I think it helped them to have plenty of players who've played againt English players, and are very familiar with them.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

England probably could have won that game if they had 5-10 more minutes to work with; they really took back control of the game toward the end. As it was though, still a great start for Team USA - but only a start. They have two more games to build upon it and get into the Sweet 16, and then anything can happen.

CCSLC signature.png

What's that old saying, something about great athletes not blaming their equipment when they fail?

Well, Steven Gerrard just broke that rule.

If the ball sucked how come Howard had no problem with it?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Great match, good result (not great) for the Americans. My MTOM had to be Bocanegra. Him and 'dolo were starting the counter and giving Englands wingers fits the whole match.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Here's my reaction from the game now that I have had time for it to digest.

First things first - a solid start for USA - we got lucky with our goal, but if you ask anyone you need luck on your side to do well in this tournament. As far as stand out players go I think eveyone on USA made their contributions, however ricardo Clark was a non factor and I would have liked findley to test the legs of terry, king and carragher more especially late in the match but we were too busy defending our goal then anyways. Our back 4 was awesome - onweyu and demerrit made Rooney get frustrated, dolo and boconegra limited any play down the flanks, which makes me wonder what kind of shape we would have been in had Walcott played for England, as the pace of Lennon was definately a concern for USA. And tim Howard what more can you say he came up big time after time especially after picking up that knock.

The best news from this game is that:

1. This team played much like the 09 team during the later stages of the confederations cup - especially defensively which is definately a positive

2. This tea lm is not the same unconfiden bunch from 06, after going down early it brought back memories of Czech republic in 06. But the early deficit didn't seem to phase us, and in the end the USA was THE better team in the first half

Now to build on from this performance and not think that Slovenia and Algeria are going to be easy wins or draws. Obviously te advantage of being able to watch tomorrows game will give the USA team and idea of what to expect but nevertheless we must create more chances for ourselves and not have our defense under so much pressure. Tonight against England it seemed like we were just that one pass away from a real chance, and when we did get those chances (jozy misssed header in the first half rings a bell) we got capitalise.

A final note - the mood here in London is satisfying - the public and media have already started slagging off capello and the rest of national team, they have already said they expected too much. Music to my ears.

As an England fan (obviously), I am disappointed with how the match went. Not so much the final score, 1-1 seems a fair result, I just dislike the softness of the US goal, if it hadn't have come frm Green's howler of a mistake then it would have been perfect. I still think England will win the group, but it's gotten a lot tighter.

Oh yes a public holiday for us tomorrow to allow us all to watch the Socceroos v Germany game at 4.30am when we stumble home from the pub. Thank you Queen Betty 2.

My predictions:

AUS - GERMANY 0-1 (0-0 our best hope)

AUS - GHANA 1-0

AUS - SERBIA 1-0

Not much science to these predictions, but our defence is what our game is based around and I think we can pluck one or two goals in the last 2 games.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

In fairness to ITV, that is what HD viewers saw! Those of us watching it in normal resolution saw the goal fine!! Incidentally on the ball, it's been one of the talking points in the build up to the World Cup, it apparently does dip and do some weird things in flight. However in this case I don't think Green can blame the ball. If there is an excuse, I would suggest it was because he saw the shot a bit late as it was coming through something of a crowd and Green was in a bad position as the ball got to him.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Considering how I've only been able to watch France/Uruguay and England/US, the England/US game has been by far my favourite of the tournament.

Hoping to catch Serbia/Ghana and most of Germany/Australia tomorrow before work.

Also:

W7xVX.gif

Algeria is down to 10 men, as Ghezzal is sent off. Ironically, Ghezzal entered the pitch in the 58th minute and in 15 minutes on the pitch, accumulated a yellow card in the 59th minute (forgot what for) and a red card for a handball in the 73rd minute.

Edit: Slovenia up 1-0 on a poor save attempt by the Algerian keeper.

From what we saw in Polokwane, neither England or the US has too much to worry about. Of course either side could pick up there performance (especially Slovenia given that a win against USA virtually guarantees a last 16 place). If England and the USA won there next matches, a draw would put either country through in its last game (I believe I am right in saying). Winning the group is well worthwhile given that being runners up in the group could well mean a last 16 match against Germany. (Not that any side from that group would be easy in the last 16. I have to say Alphabet Man may be being very optimistic in his assesment of the Aussie chances! Ghana and Serbia are both very decent teams!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived