2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome, CBC decided to replay Netherlands vs Denmark, so I'll actually get a chance to watch a game of the team I am supporting. Of course, I already know how its going to end, but whatever.

Awesome, CBC decided to replay Netherlands vs Denmark, so I'll actually get a chance to watch a game of the team I am supporting. Of course, I already know how its going to end, but whatever.

Watch Eljero Elia he subs on around the 70th minute.

This kid is going to be something

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

One thing I've been curious about, besides change kits for the most part, what is the reasoning behind some of the random colors for countries that don't have these colors in their national flag?

i.e. Netherlands in orange, Italy in blue, Slovenia in green, Japan in blue, Australia in Green, etc.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

For the Netherlands, orange comes from the House of Orange, the royal family of the Netherlands. The Dutch flag used to have orange on it, but that gradually turned into red. Same story with Italy, the blue is associated with the former Italian royal family.

The others I'm not sure of.

One thing I've been curious about, besides change kits for the most part, what is the reasoning behind some of the random colors for countries that don't have these colors in their national flag?

i.e. Netherlands in orange, Italy in blue, Slovenia in green, Japan in blue, Australia in Green, etc.

Dutch are orange because orange is in their coat of arms and Willem van Oranje who led the Dutch revolt against the Spanish that set off the eighty year war and plus what Subi said.

Italy: The traditional colour of the national team (as well as all Italian teams and athletes) is azure blue[3] (azzurro, in Italian), due to the "Azzurro Savoia" (Savoy Blue), the colour traditionally linked to the royal dynasty which unified Italy in 1861, and maintained in the official standard of the President of the Italian Republic.

Italy's is from Wikipedia, not sure about Slovenia, Japan or the Aussies.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Slovenia is green for 2 reasons:

1 - It's their national colors, for this reason:

Green is more than a colour in Slovenia. It is ‘Slovene green’ that expresses the balance between calmness of nature and diligence of the Slovene people. It stands for intact nature and our focus to keep it that way, for lifestyle equilibrium and an orientation towards nature. Last but not least, ‘Slovene green’ represents the harmony of all senses that help us to experience Slovenia. One never remembers Slovenia in images, but as the scent of forest, the murmur of stream, the astonishing taste of spring water and the softness of wood.”

2 - Somewhat to differentiate from Slovakia and the other neighboring countries that wear red, white, and blue.

Japan wore red & white for part of the 80s & the 90s, but blue has been a traditional color for them. For what reason, idk. Blue Samurai is a cool nickname, though. :P Also, Australia's national colors are green & gold, & it was made official in 1984.

So there you have it, or at least part of it.

Overall, my bigger story is the lack of people in the seats. FIFA is "investigating" it, but if they already received the money from sales, their care is not genuine.

FNB Stadium (Soccer City) looks like FEDEX Field with a roof; Green Point Stadium (Cape Town) looks great but who will it be the new Beijing Birdcage with no tenant? Durban looks solid to but also has an arch to have people go up on. No big screens = spare to me. Even Peter Kins (SI) has ripped scoreboards before he ripped food, hotels and coffee.

Bring it back to the USA as we can give FIFA the revenue they want, the security they want and capacity/revenue the would love. If 45K cannot get to a venue in RSA, the they cannot really host this.

Slovenia is green for 2 reasons:

1 - It's their national colors, for this reason:

Green is more than a colour in Slovenia. It is ?Slovene green? that expresses the balance between calmness of nature and diligence of the Slovene people. It stands for intact nature and our focus to keep it that way, for lifestyle equilibrium and an orientation towards nature. Last but not least, ?Slovene green? represents the harmony of all senses that help us to experience Slovenia. One never remembers Slovenia in images, but as the scent of forest, the murmur of stream, the astonishing taste of spring water and the softness of wood.?

2 - Somewhat to differentiate from Slovakia and the other neighboring countries that wear red, white, and blue.

Japan wore red & white for part of the 80s & the 90s, but blue has been a traditional color for them. For what reason, idk. Blue Samurai is a cool nickname, though. :P Also, Australia's national colors are green & gold, & it was made official in 1984.

So there you have it, or at least part of it.

I guess it beats really changing the flag. Other than the shield I think Slovenia and Slovakia have the exact same flag.

Although Libya definitely wins the "green" country of the world award, if you know what I mean.

Overall, my bigger story is the lack of people in the seats. FIFA is "investigating" it, but if they already received the money from sales, their care is not genuine.

FNB Stadium (Soccer City) looks like FEDEX Field with a roof; Green Point Stadium (Cape Town) looks great but who will it be the new Beijing Birdcage with no tenant? Durban looks solid to but also has an arch to have people go up on. No big screens = spare to me. Even Peter Kins (SI) has ripped scoreboards before he ripped food, hotels and coffee.

Bring it back to the USA as we can give FIFA the revenue they want, the security they want and capacity/revenue the would love. If 45K cannot get to a venue in RSA, the they cannot really host this.

Why do you think they abandoned the "let's rotate this among the continents" policy after 2002? Unfortunately it was too late for this year's World Cup.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why do you think they abandoned the "let's rotate this among the continents" policy after 2002? Unfortunately it was too late for this year's World Cup.

Africa as a continent needed to be thrown a "bone" and RSA was the the best non-Arabic nation to host over Egypt and Morocco. Sepp Blater did it properly as as more players of African descent become globally known, you have to do it. FIFA may have made the most important global mark since WW I. It is not political in the 1980 Moscow games or 2008 Beijing GAmes, yet is stands for more than the Tokyo Games of 1964.

Plus, we get ABC/ESPN to tell the American audience about RSA post-Apartheid, but as an African American, they are still so ill-prepared for this on TV. However, those covering this just tell us that as sportswriters, they prefer scoreboards.

When FIFA was selling tickets online only apparently sales were very low, then once they opened it up to walk up sales it apparently improved. But I did happen to notice during one of the games today that there were a lot of empty seats, in the front rows no less.

I still do find it funny that the United States as an effectively non soccer nation in '94 with only 24 teams still holds the World Cup attendance record. The US should get the Tourney back in either '018 or '022, and I'd love to see that record pushed even further ahead.

Just on the Aussies, I can't quite remember exactly why, but I believe the green and gold were adopted by the Rugby League team first, and since just about every Australian sports team has adopted them. (If I remember rightly it might have had some to do with the sun and the land?? That might be rubbish mind!) Similarly the New Zealand rugby team adopted all black, however soccer teams traditionally didn't wear black as it clashed with the referees uniforms, so the NZ soccer team played in white.

Slovenia is the one that interests me, why do they play in green?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ahem... Look up a few posts Saintsfan. You'll find your answer there.

And New Zealand ties the game in Stoppage Time! Mindless is probably going out of his mind after that game tying goal by Winston Reed.

Archived