2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kentucky beat Louisville 23-16. WE'RE THE KINGS OF KENTUCKY, MAN! WOOHOO!

Sorry, I just had to say that.

Kind of like being the Emperor of a junkheap.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Did you just call my home state a junkheap?

When it comes to football, yes. Cheer up, I routinely compare my home state to Somalia.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When it comes to football, yes. Cheer up, I routinely compare my home state to Somalia.

That's unfair to Somalia, you know.

LvZYtbZ.png

That's unfair to Somalia, you know.

Probably. I hear their justice system is more effective.

Today, we are all otaku.

Kidding aside, (well the part about no one wanting ND at least) how can anyone involved in the process really believe Notre Dame is better off as an independent these days? They need to join a conference or they're going to become so irrelevant that the one thing that let's them stay independent in football is going to go away quickly. And that would be the money. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see NBC continuing to spend all that cash to televise at team that is basically on about the same level as a Michigan State or Clemson etc. Yeah they're "NOTRE DAME" and all but how long can they continue to be "NOTRE DAME" when they're winning 7 games a year?

1. Assuming nothing has changed, Notre Dame has an easier road to getting a BCS bowl berth than any other school in the nation. Get 9 wins and be in the top 12 (or 14...whatever it is) of the final BCS Poll, and they're in. Every other BCS-conference school has to win their conference, or every school has to hope to finish in the top-6 of the polls....and hope that these bowls don't pass them over in favor of a lower-ranked team that has a bigger national following.

2. Notre Dame, even today, still has probably the biggest national following than any other school does. In the least, the success/failure of Notre Dame's team gets talked about a lot more than most other programs.

3. Whatever money Notre Dame gets from bowls, etc...they get to keep all to themselves. They've got more than enough money to not have to worry about finances for a long, long time. Plus, I believe, Notre Dame is getting some money from their Big East affiliation in their other sports.

4. Old farts still watch Notre Dame, simply because they're Notre Dame. They might become irrelevant to the casual colege football fan if they don't win another national championship for another 20 years.

5. NBC will likely keep the rights to Notre Dame home games, simply because they don't have a better college football option that'll gain viewership.

Yeah, but other than all that... :D

Excellent points but don't you think at some point they've got to be better than some team that goes 9-3 every ten years? I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's pretty difficult to take them seriously as "NOTRE DAME" when in reality they're Michigan State with a better TV deal and more tradition.

BB52Big.jpg

Great game on ESPN, Boise St vs. Va Tech.

Boise State just scored with 1:09 left, up 32-30

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Hell of a game.

There was an interesting graphic at the beginning of the contest. It said that Virginia Tech is one of only two programs (Texas being the other one) to have at least 10 wins in the past 6 seasons (or something like that). What I find interesting about that is if Virginia Tech has been that good for that long, how come they're never seriously in the BCS title discussion at the beginning of the season?

Sure, people wouldn't be too surprised to see VT in the title game in any given season, but it seems that the Hokies are a power program that fly under a lot of people's radar.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Welp, if Boise State runs the table & Virginia Tech has a good year, Boise State is going to the 'ship. If they're gonna do it ANY year, NOW is their chance.

I definitely didn't think that the Broncos could do what they did, which is basically go into FedEx Field against a top 10 team & a 90% VT crowd and win. I thought they were overrated. They're anything but. They basically proved that they can hang with anybody anywhere. If you can go into an environment like THAT (To say that was a neutral site is like saying the Orange Bowl game for The U is a neutral site game for them) and win, then the sky's the limit.

So yeah, better get ready for lots of Boise State talk unless they :censored: it all up and lose to Oregon State or one of those weak ass WAC teams. Quite frankly, it's well deserved after that performance.

That being said...wow, who knew that Virginia Tech was capable of failing so hard on Special Teams?

You know, I'm not taking anything away from Boise State... but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an unbeaten team that jumps them by the end of the season, even if BSU goes unbeaten. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see a one-loss team jump them, if it's from a major conference. And if a one-loss team plays in the title game and unbeaten Boise State doesn't, heads will roll.

LvZYtbZ.png

You know what makes the game even better is that it was essentially a Va Tech home game, and BSU managed to win. This is a program that is finally getting the respect it deserves, and if they run the table this year they should get a shot at the BCS Title.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Hell of a game.

There was an interesting graphic at the beginning of the contest. It said that Virginia Tech is one of only two programs (Texas being the other one) to have at least 10 wins in the past 6 seasons (or something like that). What I find interesting about that is if Virginia Tech has been that good for that long, how come they're never seriously in the BCS title discussion at the beginning of the season?

Sure, people wouldn't be too surprised to see VT in the title game in any given season, but it seems that the Hokies are a power program that fly under a lot of people's radar.

Because Virginia Tech plays in, to quote Flame, the "weak ass" ACC. They know how to beat Duke and their other conference creampuffs, but crap the bed when real competition shows up, a la LSU and Alabama.

Boise State now needs Virginia Tech to run the table to have any shot of getting to the BCS National Championship game. Considering VT hosts Georgia Tech, then travels to UNC and Miami in three consecutive weeks, good luck to that happening.

Archived