Unpopular Opinions

2 hours ago, 1insaneguy said:

This has been unpopular with the DC fans I've talked to, so I'll put it here: 

I don't mind that the Washington NFL team will be wearing helmet numbers this season. I understand it's more of a college tradition, but no other team in the NFL has them right now so it's unique. Obviously, I'd like a helmet logo (or really, any logo that isn't just a wordmark spelling out "WASHINGTON"), but the numbers will do for now. Maybe when they do get a logo, they can keep the helmet numbers and put the logo on the sleeve, similar to their throwbacks that had the plain leather-pattern helmet and the Native American logo on the jersey. Maybe they could use that combination as an alternate jersey- like a "fauxback." It would be a retro- looking uniform that somewhat resembles the throwback jerseys without having to use Native American imagery. (This picture below shows the original throwback jersey I'm talking about, for anyone wondering.)

[snip]

The Chargers do, but I agree, the helmet numbers are fine for this year.

The problem with doing a throwback is they're still honoring the old name, which is what they're trying to avoid. 

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

50 minutes ago, QCS said:

The Chargers do, but I agree, the helmet numbers are fine for this year.

The problem with doing a throwback is they're still honoring the old name, which is what they're trying to avoid. 

Oh you're right, I forgot the Chargers new uniforms included helmet numbers. [insert worn-out joke about the Chargers being irrelevant here] 

I guess I didn't word that second part clearly. I'm saying once they get helmet logos/new jerseys they could use the (hypothetical) combination of helmet numbers/logo on sleeve, as an alternate jersey/fauxback. That would eliminate the need for any Native imagery or uniforms associated with the name Redskins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

The Utah Jazz have a Top 5 identity in the NBA

I'd agree here. The logos and colors aren't spectacular, but the fonts, uniforms, and web identity, and apparel are top-notch. Ben Barnes and his team have done an amazing job for them.

• Like 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

23 hours ago, QCS said:

Not really seeing that. Are they honoring the old name if they trot out Riggins for an alumni event, or celebrate one of the SB wins?

36 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Not really seeing that. Are they honoring the old name if they trot out Riggins for an alumni event, or celebrate one of the SB wins?

Not inherently, but when they throw back to a team that was named after a slur, they're celebrating that team, which includes the name, no matter what they try to do. As for the Super Bowls, they can simply place "Washington" on the banner with the SB number/year and not have the old logo, no "erasure" of history in that. Honoring alumni is also fine since they're honoring that player, not the name he played for. 

On 7/25/2020 at 9:42 AM, DNAsports said:

The Utah Jazz have a Top 5 identity in the NBA

I think that original rebrand in 2016 was fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of the orange jersey, in fact I'm not huge on any of the alternates used since that rebrand but at least they stay within the color scheme unlike a lot of other teams

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Alright, I'll say it: most MLB teams should make a colored top their primary road jersey. Not all, teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, or Cubs should never, but newer teams (and the A's) should. Extra points if you pair it with matching white pants. The one caveat to that is that the home team would have to wear all-white, which is what they should be doing anyway.

Another one: I'd rather have both the home and road uniforms say the team's geographic name than have both say the nickname. At the very least, the road jersey should always say the geographic location, absolutely no exceptions.

• Like 4

I agree about the road jerseys always having the more formal location name, but I can't get behind dropping grey road uniforms. Oddly enough, the Cubs are one of the only teams that got away with your "colored top, white pants" model on the road back in the '80s, and they're one of the teams you don't want to do it. 

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wouldn't want it for all teams (as I said) and the Padres have already made their brown tops their primary road, so it's not like it'd be entirely unheard of today. I'm thinking teams like the Padres, Marlins, A's, Rays, Astros, D-Backs, Orioles, maybe the Blue Jays or Mariners could make it work. I actually didn't know about the Cubs' blue roads, that's interesting and maybe they could make it work as well. The one thing I'd be a stickler about is it would have to be the designated road jersey, not just an alt that they wear more than their normal road.

I've got a few more...

• I have no idea why non-traditional/unique number fonts on football jerseys (such as those found on the Titans' current sets)  get so much hate on here. Generally speaking, I think they add a nice degree of uniqueness to the sets they're apart of. On the topic of the Tennessee Titans...
  • ... I've really started to come around on the uniforms they debuted a couple of seasons ago. I'll always have a soft spot for the white helmet, but pretty much all of their current uniform combinations range from "solid" to "fantastic". The only one I'm not a fan of is the all-white.
  • The 49ers made the right decision to move to two sleeve stripes. It creates a better look for the way most modern players wear their pads and sleeves. Also, the thickness of the new stripes leads to some better symmetry with the helmet and pant stripes.
  • Like 2

On the topic of 49ers uniform sets, I didn't hate the black alternates used from 2015-2017. The team was right to move on from them, don't get me wrong, but I didn't think they were the irredeemable abominations most people made them out to be. 

In particular, I thought they looked alright when paired with the red and white socks in 2015 as opposed to the black socks in 2016 and 2017. In hindsight, incorporating some gold into the numbers and nameplates (as an outline, drop shadow, or even just changing the numbers and letters completely to gold) might have been a good move, for both aesthetics and readability. At the time, I remember it was a bit of an issue for announcers and reporters to read the red lettering on the black jerseys.

I don't necessarily mind their currently identity, but I think the Islanders would look better if they used a darker shade of blue like the one in the picture below. (I'm not saying they should go back to those exact jerseys, just use that blue in their current set.)spacer.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 1insaneguy said:

I don't necessarily mind their currently identity, but I think the Islanders would look better if they used a darker shade of blue like the one in the picture below. (I'm not saying they should go back to those exact jerseys, just use that blue in their current set.)spacer.png

My thing is, it's 2020. Games are broadcast in HD, we sit in our Homes and watch these HD Games on our HDTVs. Brighter Colors POP on an HDTV. Royal Blue and Orange POP more than Navy Blue (US Navy Dress Blues almost look black, a Police Officers Navy Blue uniform looks almost black). Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the fascination with dark (Navy Blue, Dark Red, Dark Green) drab colors in a HD World

13 hours ago, Fitzy0220 said:

My thing is, it's 2020. Games are broadcast in HD, we sit in our Homes and watch these HD Games on our HDTVs. Brighter Colors POP on an HDTV. Royal Blue and Orange POP more than Navy Blue (US Navy Dress Blues almost look black, a Police Officers Navy Blue uniform looks almost black). Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the fascination with dark (Navy Blue, Dark Red, Dark Green) drab colors in a HD World

Well I mean the Penguins wear black at home, and like the Penguins having a brighter yellow to off-set, if the Islanders went to a bright shade of orange, it would contrast really well with the navy. And the current design would be a better look too, with the extra white. 

Unfortunately the Oilers are already back to navy and orange...

The Islanders also are a few tweaks away from having one of the best home looks in the NHL. That stupid toilet bowl plus orange pentagon on the collar is trash. A full collar would look much better. And the stripes need to be more consistent from the hips down. The breezers stripes don’t match anything, and the home socks are a recolored mismatch from the navy Edge set... They need to fix those. Match them to the roads, or have them match the jerseys like the Sound Tigers do.

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

9 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Well I mean the Penguins wear black at home, and like the Penguins having a brighter yellow to off-set, if the Islanders went to a bright shade of orange, it would contrast really well with the navy. And the current design would be a better look too, with the extra white. 

Unfortunately the Oilers are already back to navy and orange...

The Islanders also are a few tweaks away from having one of the best home looks in the NHL. That stupid toilet bowl plus orange pentagon on the collar is trash. A full collar would look much better. And the stripes need to be more consistent from the hips down. The breezers stripes don’t match anything, and the home socks are a recolored mismatch from the navy Edge set... They need to fix those. Match them to the roads, or have them match the jerseys like the Sound Tigers do.

I absolutely HATE the Adidas collars

• Like 1