Unpopular Opinions

Big problem with the backs, two layers over three doesn't work. A triple-layer number can take a single-layer name over it or another triple-layer, but not double. Let me try plotting this out:

mvBdpxh.jpg

There it is, the worst visual aid I've ever produced in my life.

• Like 12

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I always thought the Calgary Flames did the 2 over 3 outlines nicely. At a distance the yellow is minimal on the numbers so not having it on the NOB isn’t a big deal. 

Also the Bruins has that on their road jerseys in the Reebok era, because it was hard to read as a triple layer NOB. 

Otherwise yes... That is all correct.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Big problem with the backs, two layers over three doesn't work. A triple-layer number can take a single-layer name over it or another triple-layer, but not double. Let me try plotting this out:

mvBdpxh.jpg

Also, with drop shadows, you can have one-color NOB's or drop-shadow NOB's (in a condensed font). Granted, NOB's with shadow often look awful.

114140i_lg.jpeg2079e_lg.jpeg

The Giants' gold shadows, because they blend into the orange, are a bit better than the dark ones.

78912b_lg.jpeg

The alternative might not be better. The Lakers one is slightly excusable, due to the outline on the front wordmark.

s943357081574574795_p34_i1_w2560.jpeg&f=1&nofb=140682a_med.jpeg

Generally, use one-color NOB's with shadowed or triple-layer numbers.

• Like 1

I know over in the “NFL Changes 2020” thread I said Tua Tagovailoa looks right in a #1, but I’ve come to realize that no matter how I look at it, the number 1 on any quarterback’s jersey in any font just... sucks. I’m not sure how to properly explain it, but it’s incredibly generic and anytime a quarterback chooses the number I imagine they have some sort of god complex as if they’re higher and mightier than any other person to step on the field *strong gaze at Cam Newton*. Or even a “I don’t care just give me a number” situation. Obviously I understand it could just be cases of a player’s favorite number so I’m not knocking them in that respect.

If the NCAA does allow its football players to wear #0, if given the opportunity I’d strongly recommend most QBs who wear #1 to switch. #0 has a certain flare to it that makes it unique, IMO. Hell, I’d welcome the use of #0 back into the NFL.

While on the subject of college football uniforms, another unpopular opinion of mine is how this helmet-

spacer.png

is one of, if not my favorite alternate helmet in the past decade. It’s so simple that’s it’s perfect in every way and compliments the rest of the uniform nicely.

On 4/29/2020 at 3:28 PM, SFGiants58 said:

The Giants' gold shadows, because they blend into the orange, are a bit better than the dark ones.

78912b_lg.jpeg

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I really wish the Giants would take the gold drop shadows off of their home and road uniforms. Gold just isn't part of their color scheme, and doing so would bring those uniforms closer to the 1960's ones they're trying to emulate. I don't mind the presence of gold on the Orange Friday jerseys, though.

dm_160409_MLB_Crawford_Walks_Off332.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dmmdoublem said:

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but I really wish the Giants would take the gold drop shadows off of their home and road uniforms. Gold just isn't part of their color scheme, and doing so would bring those uniforms closer to the 1960's ones they're trying to emulate. I don't mind the presence of gold on the Orange Friday jerseys, though.

dm_160409_MLB_Crawford_Walks_Off332.jpg

Man, those orange jerseys are gorgeous. Easily my favorite Giants jersey.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

24 minutes ago, QCS said:

Man, those orange jerseys are gorgeous. Easily my favorite Giants jersey.

I'm torn between the 2010-13 version and a cleaned up version of those (no placket trim, different sleeve logo, etc.). I know @the admiral really doesn't like that script, but I love it.

On a not-too-dissimilar note: I do sometimes wish the Giants and Dodgers became the Seals and Angels upon moving, keeping their colors but making some adjustments to "adopt" those old identities (e.g., Angels adding light blue and using red for halos, Seals using cursive scripts and a less rigid "SF," etc.).

MHnER7v.png9LOuyB4.png

Of course, the Los Angeles AL team would be the Stars (Hollywood Stars, Los Angeles Stars, California/Anaheim Stars, Inland Empire Stars, etc.) and the A's would be unchanged. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm torn between the 2010-13 version and a cleaned up version of those (no placket trim, different sleeve logo, etc.). I know @the admiral really doesn't like that script, but I love it.

I'd go with the current orange set. Even though it has elements that I dislike on the Giants' other sets (the gold drop shadows, the black piping around the neck and down the front), I feel they work for the Orange. Plus, that script goes beautifully with the numbers on the front. I dig the sleeve patch as well. If the Giants used this one on the orange, It would be kind of strange to have two different scripts.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:15 AM, the admiral said:

mvBdpxh.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

Knicks should never wear anything that isn't white at home. It doesn't look right. People say the same for the Celtics and Bulls. But to me the one that annoys me the most is the Knicks. It just doesn't look right when they're wearing blue or god forbid navy under the bright lights of the garden 

• Like 1

IMG-7122.gif

On 5/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, pelicanfan said:

Knicks should never wear anything that isn't white at home. It doesn't look right. People say the same for the Celtics and Bulls. But to me the one that annoys me the most is the Knicks. It just doesn't look right when they're wearing blue or god forbid navy under the bright lights of the garden 

counterpoint: white at home sucks and the NHL was right to switch away from it.

• Like 7

53Ocz8U.png

On 5/8/2020 at 5:44 PM, pelicanfan said:

Every team that aren't named the Los Angeles Lakers should wear white at home. The Lakers should wear yellow. The occasional throwback or alternate is okay, but 95% of a teams home games should be played in their white uniform

• Like 3

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

9 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

counterpoint: white at home sucks and the NHL was right to switch away from it.

I HATE the fact that the NHL went with Dark at Home. Home games are so BLAND now. Was awesome going to Pens games at the Civic Arena and seeing Opposing Teams Colors come into the Building

Pens HOME White vs Flyers AWAY ORANGE
Pens HOME White vs Rangers AWAY BLUE
Pens HOME White vs Kings AWAY PURPLE
Pens HOME White vs Hawks AWAY RED
Pens HOME White vs Bruins AWAY BLACK
Pens HOME White vs Sharks AWAY TEAL
Pens HOME White vs North Stars AWAY GREEN

now it's Pens HOME Black vs Whoever AWAY White, am I watching a Hockey Game or a Chess Match?  Ok so the Pens colors are Black, it can be said for ANY Home game of Any Team

Toronto HOME BLUE vs Whoever AWAY WHITE 
Chicago HOME RED vs Whoever AWAY WHITE
NYR HOME BLUE vs Whoever AWAY WHITE
LA HOME BLACK vs Whoever AWAY WHITE
Minnesota HOME GREEN vs Whoever AWAY WHITE
Nashville HOME YELLOW vs Whoever AWAY WHITE
San Jose HOME TEAL vs Whoever AWAY WHITE

So damn boring in my opinion!
I would LOVE to see Calgary come back to Pittsburgh wearing those Awesome 80s RED Retros, Capitals come to Pittsburgh wearing those Awesome 80s RED Retros

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

I HATE the fact that the NHL went with Dark at Home. Home games are so BLAND now. Was awesome going to Pens games at the Civic Arena and seeing Opposing Teams Colors come into the Building

*snipped for space because it's the same "wanting to see other team's colours" argument*

The home team should be the one wearing their colours in their home arena.

• Like 6

IbjBaeE.png

15 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The home team should be the one wearing their colours in their home arena.

I think this is true for football and hockey, but not basketball or baseball.

the user formerly known as cdclt