Unpopular Opinions

• 3 weeks later...

If Nike would do something with the socks to break up the leotard look, I would give them high marks on the uniforms they've introduced for 2020.  They made some choices that I wouldn't have made, but I've kept my traditional mind open and I think each offering is an upgrade to last season's uniforms.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

On 5/30/2020 at 3:37 PM, ManillaToad said:

Teams should not be allowed to wear alternate uniforms in the World Series

Let teams wear them, but they are only allowed 2 uniforms the entire playoffs. Last year the Twins wore their white home maybe 14 times, and lost most of those games. Players are superstitious and won't want to wear a uniform if they aren't doing well in it (example: nationals wearing the blue home alternate last season)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

I think the Washington Wizards need a rebrand. Not a new name, but stray away from the Bullets-inspired identity and an evolution of what they had before. I'm sorry but the current logos and color scheme are just so boring.

I’m with you there; I’ve had a hard time buying the Bullets-ification of the Wizards as any kind of solution for them. They definitely could’ve evolved the mystic theme into something better, plus the old color scheme still looked “federal” and relevant to DC without being overly patriotic. 

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

On 6/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, ScubaSteve said:

I think the Washington Wizards need a rebrand. Not a new name, but stray away from the Bullets-inspired identity and an evolution of what they had before. I'm sorry but the current logos and color scheme are just so boring.

I do think r/w/b is a strange combo for the Wizards (partly offset by it being a good combo for DC).  The Name Wizards doesn't work great with the DC imagery, so I agree with your sentiment.  That said, I like the r/w/b and DC imagery better than I did any of the more appropriate colors/logos of the original Wizards incarnation. 

All of this would be great with a name like Capitals (taken), Nationals (taken), Senators (used in the past; twice), or Americans (used a few times).  And I don't think there's enough history (and certainly not enough good history) to cling to "Wizards." But I fear them choosing "Washington Monuments" or something.

I definitely would like a name change or a change back to something more like the original incarnation of the name.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

7 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I do think r/w/b is a strange combo for the Wizards (partly offset by it being a good combo for DC).  The Name Wizards doesn't work great with the DC imagery, so I agree with your sentiment.  That said, I like the r/w/b and DC imagery better than I did any of the more appropriate colors/logos of the original Wizards incarnation. 

All of this would be great with a name like Capitals (taken), Nationals (taken), Senators (used in the past; twice), or Americans (used a few times).  And I don't think there's enough history (and certainly not enough good history) to cling to "Wizards." But I fear them choosing "Washington Monuments" or something.

I definitely would like a name change or a change back to something more like the original incarnation of the name.

Yeah. I do want them to make Wizards work though because, as you said, it's the only non-cut and paste "nation's capital" theme (other than...ya know)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I watched MLB Network's replay of an 1985 playoff game between the Cardinals and the Dodgers at Busch II; I think the white outline around the Dodgers' wordmark always looked really good on the road grays; I liked the cuffs too. The Yankees still have the outline and cuff, and it doesn't look terrible either. Probably won't get many likes, but this isn't the thread for that lol...

I'd be okay if they kept the current Los Angeles roads but added the white outlines to the road alternate. 

edit: inserted a photo from 1988 as the old 1985 jersey photo I originally had expired

1988 Dodgers Week 20 review: Kirk Gibson leads undefeated week ...

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:02 PM, WSU151 said:

I watched MLB Network's replay of an 1985 playoff game between the Cardinals and the Dodgers at Busch II; I think the white outline around the Dodgers' wordmark always looked really good on the road grays; I liked the cuffs too. The Yankees still have the outline and cuff, and it doesn't look terrible either. Probably won't get many likes, but this isn't the thread for that lol...

I'd be okay if they kept the current Los Angeles roads but added the white outlines to the road alternate. 

edit: inserted a photo from 1988 as the old 1985 jersey photo I originally had expired

1988 Dodgers Week 20 review: Kirk Gibson leads undefeated week ...

They tried that already

spacer.png

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

I like the front of the Dodgers road jersey with no outline

usatsi_12496181.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

However, the back looks like something is just missing

1AvP6fa.jpg

I think it may be because with the script, the outline is too much. But the simple letters and block numbers on a grey background could really use an outline. I think that's why I like the outlines on the Yankees road jersey.

47 minutes ago, Ben in LA said:

They tried that already

spacer.png

Tried what now?

I'd be okay if they kept the current Los Angeles roads but added the white outlines to the road alternate

My plan is to leave the current "Los Angeles" roads the same, just make the road "Dodgers" alternate like the 80s roads...which would be a true alternate and not a boring copy of the regular road. Or just have the 80s road uniform become a full-time TBTC uni for Friday road games. 

I don't want white outlines on the Los Angeles roads.

The Dodgers had good teams in the 80s and 90s (and a few bad ones)...but it's not really an era to avoid. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, Ark said:

I like the front of the Dodgers road jersey with no outline

usatsi_12496181.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

However, the back looks like something is just missing

1AvP6fa.jpg

I think it may be because with the script, the outline is too much. But the simple letters and block numbers on a grey background could really use an outline. I think that's why I like the outlines on the Yankees road jersey.

Actually, I never thought about it but you're right - the back would look a little better with white outline around the numbers.  I don't think it matters that the front doesn't have them.

I like the Dodgers script without outline on the front, and outlined numbers on the back.  No Los Angeles script, no outlines on the NOB.

One thing is for sure - whoever thought that blue buttons was a good idea should have his or her life terminated in a very uncomfortable way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Senators' 3D logo.  Doesn't look like some flat faced lizard man, that's for sure.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

This has been unpopular with the DC fans I've talked to, so I'll put it here: 

I don't mind that the Washington NFL team will be wearing helmet numbers this season. I understand it's more of a college tradition, but no other team in the NFL has them right now so it's unique. Obviously, I'd like a helmet logo (or really, any logo that isn't just a wordmark spelling out "WASHINGTON"), but the numbers will do for now. Maybe when they do get a logo, they can keep the helmet numbers and put the logo on the sleeve, similar to their throwbacks that had the plain leather-pattern helmet and the Native American logo on the jersey. Maybe they could use that combination as an alternate jersey- like a "fauxback." It would be a retro- looking uniform that somewhat resembles the throwback jerseys without having to use Native American imagery. (This picture below shows the original throwback jersey I'm talking about, for anyone wondering.)

spacer.png 

• Like 1