Unpopular Opinions

On 8/31/2022 at 8:46 AM, gosioux76 said:

Forget about championships, the Bucs have never looked better than they did during the creamsicle era. It's a shame they moved on from it. (UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT) And I'll say it again about the alarm-clock uniforms: they're nowhere near great, but they're also nowhere near as bad as the hyperbole. More traditional numbers, plus a rethinking of the helmet, and you've got the foundation of something that works. 

They were exactly as bad as people said they were, if not worse. You didn't mention the worst part of that set, which was all the matte pewter. There was way too much warm grey on those jerseys. They couldn't have the foundation of anything that works without getting rid of that.

The alarm clock set was a bad update of the old uniform, which was itself a bad update of the modernized 49ers, which in turn was a bad update of the classic 49ers, a uniform that actually was good. It's a matryoshka doll of dark metallic garbage. At least the creamsicle set couldn't be anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 9/23/2022 at 7:34 PM, spartacat_12 said:

That set has always been a personal top 10 for me. 

I prefer grey as a tertiary colour for them, but I didn't mind when they made a point of featuring orange throughout the jersey. On the set they just got rid of it felt like the orange was an afterthought. Personally, I think this is the best set they've worn since the pre-Edge era.

spacer.png

On 9/9/2022 at 7:16 AM, ManillaToad said:

I never understood the adoration a lot of people have for this uniform. It's fine but nowhere near a classic imo

I didn't think it was anything special until they got rid of it.

Could probably say that about a lot of defunct uniforms, actually....... some of them you don't realize you will miss until they switch to something much, much worse.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:34 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I prefer grey as a tertiary colour for them, but I didn't mind when they made a point of featuring orange throughout the jersey. On the set they just got rid of it felt like the orange was an afterthought. Personally, I think this is the best set they've worn since the pre-Edge era.

spacer.png

Looking at this uniform now, this is way too busy. Reminds me of how a lot of corporate logos have been simplified nowadays

On 10/4/2022 at 11:48 AM, DCarp1231 said:

Don’t let the Oiler-truthers see this

It's a really good name, logo, and uniforms (or they were when worn as originally designed). The Houston Oilers were even better.

Intriguing alternate timeline: the Houston Oilers stick around, whether through a blocked move or a Cleveland Deal, while Tennessee eventually gets its NFL team, the Nashville Predators

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

It's a really good name, logo, and uniforms (or they were when worn as originally designed). The Houston Oilers were even better.

Intriguing alternate timeline: the Houston Oilers stick around, whether through a blocked move or a Cleveland Deal, while Tennessee eventually gets its NFL team, the Nashville Predators

Yeah the Oilers had a better everything. I also prefer 'Dallas Texans'. But I'll always go to bat for the current Texans. Great name, logo, good uniforms (also only when worn correctly)

On 10/8/2022 at 5:32 AM, Ark said:

Looking at this uniform now, this is way too busy. Reminds me of how a lot of corporate logos have been simplified nowadays

I agree. If they removed the redundant shoulder logos and nipple numbers they'd be a pretty sweet look — and I'm pretty anti-orange with the sharks.

26 minutes ago, dont care said:

In color and finish maybe, all 3 logos are the absolute bottom of the league

That’s what I was getting at. Every once in awhile when I’m able to catch the Jets on TV, I fall back in love with the helmet finish. It’s beautiful and they should never change.

• Like 6

The Rams helmet will always be a classic, whatever iteration of the horn they use. 

The Commanders I don't hate. The colours are still great, and the logo is okay in the context of the helmet. Its not a good logo, but a big part of that has to do with how terrible the overall rebrand was.

The Jets one just sucks. Yes the colour is nice, and from a distance you think "oh that will be a nice helmet", but whenever you take a closer look you realize how lame that logo is and what a waste of potential it is. Still I do appreciate the colour given how incredibly drab the former "hunter" green and white uniforms were.

• Like 5

On 10/17/2022 at 9:12 AM, DCarp1231 said:

The Jets have the best helmet in the NFL

spacer.png

Followed by Washington

spacer.png

and then the Rams

spacer.png

(this doesn’t reflect my opinion on overall uniform rankings)

I think that Rams helmet is one of the best they've ever worn, and one of the best in the league currently. The finish is spectacular, and the ram horn decal is solid. I think it keeps the simplicity of what they previously wore, but it gives the look a bit more character since the horn is one of the most copied decals in American football and allows the Rams to sort of "reclaim" it a bit.

• Like 6

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)