NFL Awards Nike uniform & sideline apparel rights

GottaDeal

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the level that the NFL currently resides, I dont think Nike will jump right into the same level of design aspect that they've shown at the College level. I am, for one, welcoming the change. Especially on the sideline apparel, which IMO Reebok really lacked...

probably a good sign for the hats, at least. NFL sideline hats have pretty much been terrible for years.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This is great news. Reebok has done a terrible job. Things like the Buffalo Bills would never happen under Nike. They take educated risks. Sometimes they are silly, but they are still artistic.

The Vikings, Bengals, Bills, Jaguars et.al are all under Reebok's watch. And I really cannot believe that people will miss the cookie-cutter designs Reebok put out on the Sideline gear. Say one thing for Nike and doing Pro stuff, they understand that templates do not work for Professional teams.

That is my biggest complaint. What Reebok/Adidas did with the warm-ups in NBA, and the side-line gear in the NFL. It takes the individuality of each team and makes it too League-based. Nobody roots for the NFL, they root for its teams.

This will VASTLY improve the aesthetics of the league. If my Vikings are still in Minny in 2012, I hope they give us a modernized throwback.

So soon I will finally be able to purchase a new Rams jersey.

Reebook has never made the jerseys they sell to fans (be it replica or authentic) with the correct stripe proportions for the Rams. And I'm not talking minor differences, I'm talking really bad and obvious (to people like us). For that reason I've boycotted Reebok NFL gear for the last 7 or 8 years.

"We plan on changing the NFL jersey dramatically just like we've done with the college programs, using new thinking and the greatest technology available. The NFL program hasn't had the same type of advancement in recent years." Source

Uh oh.

They're talking about the cut of the jerseys and the materials used to make them.

Reebook has never made the jerseys they sell to fans (be it replica or authentic) with the correct stripe proportions for the Rams. And I'm not talking minor differences, I'm talking really bad and obvious (to people like us). For that reason I've boycotted Reebok NFL gear for the last 7 or 8 years.

And this could also mean that Bears replica and retail authentic jerseys will have the correct sleeve numbers once again. Only Champion, Wilson, and Nike have ever been able to get that right.

I'm also in line with tajmccall as saying this will be a good aesthetic move for the league. Nike does some crazy crap, sure, but it's more often than not done with a team-specific aesthetic in mind, and even at their most whacked-out, they seem to have more hits than misses as of late. When they do something like Pro Combat, they create uniform designs that will complement the new cut and materials.

Compare that to Reebok/Adidas, who take the lazy route of creating a new template, then figuring out how to shoehorn a team's existing design elements into it. That type of thought process is how you end up with equals signs on the Colts' shoulders, the NBA's Hawks and Grizzlies now sporting mismatched numbers, all of MLS, and pretty much the entire NHL Edge rollout from any team too dumb to say "no".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And this could also mean that Bears replica and retail authentic jerseys will have the correct sleeve numbers once again. Only Champion, Wilson, and Nike have ever been able to get that right.

I'm also in line with tajmccall as saying this will be a good aesthetic move for the league. Nike does some crazy crap, sure, but it's more often than not done with a team-specific aesthetic in mind, and even at their most whacked-out, they seem to have more hits than misses as of late. When they do something like Pro Combat, they create uniform designs that will complement the new cut and materials.

Compare that to Reebok/Adidas, who take the lazy route of creating a new template, then figuring out how to shoehorn a team's existing design elements into it. That type of thought process is how you end up with equals signs on the Colts' shoulders, the NBA's Hawks and Grizzlies now sporting mismatched numbers, all of MLS, and pretty much the entire NHL Edge rollout from any team too dumb to say "no".

Don't forget about the Bears' different back numbers, too. They are longer and bolder than the front numbers.

I don't share your optimism about Nike. They might be the lesser of two evils, but I think it is pretty close. They are going to make the same garbage like Reebok did with the Colts' stripes. Either that or give the Colts a "kewl" redesign without the stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well I just hope Nike DOESN'T touch the following teams:

Colts

I think Nike will do a better job with Colts' shoulder stripes--the latest skill position jerseys don't even go a quarter of the way around the shoulder. Ridiculous!

17_collie%5C2010_1010_kc_186_macht.jpg17_collie%5C2010_1010_kc_251_macht.jpg

what I find curious is will adidas/reebok keep up with college football uniforms?..does rbk football even exist after 2012?..no way they can survive on footwear since their cleats suck...they bailed on the ncaa years ago (except for bc)and adi doesn't have nearly as many flagship schools to justify the r&d budget as nike...adidas could easily fall behind nike and ua after this shakes out...on the other hand it may free up more sponsorhip $ for adi to go after more big time schools and score a coup like they did with michigan...maybe an tosu, bama, or florida...the one big nike school for some reason I don't see ever going to adidas is sc since I can only remember them ever wearing nike cleats since the ealy 80's just about every other nike school could be up for grabs.

what would've been ideal is if the nfl split the gameday/sideline contract evenly among nike, ad/rbk, and ua...competition tends to breed innovation and it would be great to see each a variety of designs but that may not have paid out for mfr's...new era getting the hats is a huge improvement though.

Archived