Louisiana updates state flag

omnivore

The new Louisiana design looks good, but it doesn't make for a very good flag design. Far too intricate.

It's still an upgrade, but I agree, flags should be simple and distinctive at first glance. The sign that's on the bridge that BlueSky posted would make a much better flag.

Oh look! Another state flag with an overly intricate design, and text, on a plain blue field. I'll pass, thanks.

It looks much better, but it's still a crappy flag.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

and now its known as Burma...

...again

It's always been Burma. No nation recognized the Myanmar name.

Also, this is incorrect. The United States didn't recognize the name change, but many others did. The United Nations endorsed the change five days after it occurred, and the individual governments of countries like Germany, France, Japan, China, and Russia (link to source) have recognized the change.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

and now its known as Burma...

...again

It's always been Burma. No nation recognized the Myanmar name.

Also, this is incorrect. The United States didn't recognize the name change, but many others did. The United Nations endorsed the change five days after it occurred, and the individual governments of countries like Germany, France, Japan, China, and Russia (link to source) have recognized the change.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Additionally many media outlets (CNN comes to mind) used the Myanmar name.

6fQjS3M.png

So Myanmar/Burma has changed the name of the country, their capital city, and their flag quite recently.

Identity crisis much?

The Myanmar name was chosen by the military dictatorship that runs the country. That same dictatorship is now trying to convince its citizens and the outside world that they've reformed. Hence a return to a name that's not associated with the oppressive nature of the regime. The flag factors into it too. The old one was tied to military government. The current/new flag homages various flags from before the military regime took over.

Oh look! Another state flag with an overly intricate design, and text, on a plain blue field. I'll pass, thanks.

It looks much better, but it's still a crappy flag.

Agreed. They don't have very many options though. They have two other more dynamic flag designs, but they're both associated with seccesionism/the Confederacy.

I say the new Louisiana flag is a downgrade. It's too illustrative and detailed for a flag. Just look at all the other flags that could go in this direction...it isn't necessary.

Either way you spin it, the flag is still ugly with the elements it has. Too much going on, too many colors, and I don't like mottos on flags.

Archived