New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

The guys at the Lids store here in St Louis didn't even know they were changing - though they knew about the Orioles. Not exactly the brightest bunch.

Some Lids stores are really touch and go as far as knowledgeable employees.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally expected poll results from one of the the local papers. Since it was put up last night it's gotten 1364 votes, 1128 or 83% of which voted "God-awful! This is way over the top!".

Sure the new design represents Miami... the tacky, touristy, Crockett and Tubbs Miami.

They've already distanced themselves both figuratively and literally from the fans in Broward and Palm Beach Counties(which together have a larger population and historically higher season ticket sales than Miami-Dade), and the new identity will further hurt support in the northern counties.

The local reaction to the "leaks" in South Florida has been clear, overwhelmingly negative. We'll never develop the strong fanbase I know we have the potential to become if we keep getting kicked in the stomach every time things seem to be moving in the right direction. As usual, it's one step forward, five steps back for the Fish.

Thankfully the ballpark deal came with a 30 year agreement with the Marlins and MLB to keep the team in South Florida, so eventually when Loria sells the team or dies, this crap can go with him. There is already a spot reserved for the Miami Marlins alongside the Gorton's Fisherman and the Buffaslug on the Island of Misfit Mascots.

Ouch. Never good when the vast majority of your paying public hates your product. Something tells me Miami Marlins merch sales are going to blow.

People who answer an online poll are not the vast majority of the paying public.

No but they are a fairly representative sample in the internet era.

The guys at the Lids store here in St Louis didn't even know they were changing - though they knew about the Orioles. Not exactly the brightest bunch.

The Cardinals just won the World Series. You think St. Louis is worried about what the new Marlins look is gonna be?

(I'm guessing someones gonna make a Pujols to Miami joke here now, huh?)

Totally expected poll results from one of the the local papers. Since it was put up last night it's gotten 1364 votes, 1128 or 83% of which voted "God-awful! This is way over the top!".

Sure the new design represents Miami... the tacky, touristy, Crockett and Tubbs Miami.

They've already distanced themselves both figuratively and literally from the fans in Broward and Palm Beach Counties(which together have a larger population and historically higher season ticket sales than Miami-Dade), and the new identity will further hurt support in the northern counties.

The local reaction to the "leaks" in South Florida has been clear, overwhelmingly negative. We'll never develop the strong fanbase I know we have the potential to become if we keep getting kicked in the stomach every time things seem to be moving in the right direction. As usual, it's one step forward, five steps back for the Fish.

Thankfully the ballpark deal came with a 30 year agreement with the Marlins and MLB to keep the team in South Florida, so eventually when Loria sells the team or dies, this crap can go with him. There is already a spot reserved for the Miami Marlins alongside the Gorton's Fisherman and the Buffaslug on the Island of Misfit Mascots.

Ouch. Never good when the vast majority of your paying public hates your product. Something tells me Miami Marlins merch sales are going to blow.

People who answer an online poll are not the vast majority of the paying public.

I live in Missouri and I can go on any Internet board for the Padres and vote however I want. They are not that representative.

The overall knowledge seems to differ from store to store. The Orem Lids guys knew of the Marlins and nobody else, whereas the Provo Fanzz didn't know of any changes from any team, whatsoever.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

:blink:

No, they aren't. Far from it.

Online polls attract a self-selecting group, who can then vote multiple times on the issue. They're completely unreliable, not even worthy of the name "polls".

Who decided it would be a great idea to put the "M" 3 times on the same uniform?

As McCall was saying on an earlier page, the script looks bad because the outline makes them look too crammed.

What a horrid mess this is. They have 4 main colours. The yellow is so unnecessary; it barely appears anywhere. Orange and blue should have been the way to go. The colours are clashing awfully, and the inconsistent colouring is really bugging me.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Fishheatcats,

Get over it and move on with your life.

Sincerely,

The Chris Creamer Sports Logos Community

No.

Sincerely,

The guy who's baseball team has been murdered.

Seriously, people would put up with Yankees or Cubs fans throwing a fit if Loria pulled this kind of crap with those teams. When one of the few sources of joy and pride you have is destroyed, I think one has the right to bitch. I apologize if that bothers anyone here. And if one of you're hometown teams and a piece of your childhood is made a joke of, I won't be telling you to "shut up and get over it".

In a few hours baseball dies to me, so you won't have to hear me talk about it here anymore.

Cheers.

If baseball dies to you because a team changed it's uniforms, then you weren't a real fan to begin with.

Agreed...if I can live thru all the White Sox unis of the 70's and 80's you can live thru this...

Personally, I've not been a fan of gratuitous outlining on anything sports-design related. (Once you go past one stroke on an element, you've gone too far.) I like the ideas behind this stuff they've got. It like the abstract fish. I like the wordmark when it's just the letters (and not the four different colors around it or that particular bevel effect). I even like the color scheme: orange and that blue with a bit of black thrown in is unique to the majors and if done properly would look great. Being a traditionalist, I think they should have stuck with the teal, black and silver with an emphasis on teal, but the ideas behind the new stuff aren't bad. It's just lacking execution. It's all a bit messy and overloaded.

Admiral, I agree with you. While I'm not an expert by any means, that wordmark/type is very reminiscent of Century Gothic.

The Cardinals just won the World Series. You think St. Louis is worried about what the new Marlins look is gonna be?

(I'm guessing someones gonna make a Pujols to Miami joke here now, huh?)

I live in Missouri and I can go on any Internet board for the Padres and vote however I want. They are not that representative.

True you can. But you don't. Very few people would log on to a Miami based newspaper just to vote on a poll about a uniform. That said if it were more nationwide you'd probably get a higher proportion that liked it since they don't have to live with it, like Padres and brown.

I don't know... I want to wait to see everything before I make final judgement, but I kind of like what I see so far. Baseball uniforms and logos seem to have become so homogeneous the past couple decades. The last thing MLB needs is another navy blue or bright red color scheme. It's nice to see something that is unique and stands out once in a while. Reminds me a little of the '70's-early '80's in that way.

Archived