Denver Nuggets New Identity

ldswoosh33

The ultimate goal is to look good. You cannot discount aesthetics. If an older uniform is better then what you're currently wearing, go with that.

Being smart and going back to a better design (or being cheap and lazy, to use your words) is better then pushing the envelope and coming up with an over-designed mess that will look dated in five to ten years. Going the latter route is how you end up with the Atlanta Bulls*its.

Problem is, your theory completely ignores the fact that teams and designers can come up with new looks that also look good. How do you think all those retro uniforms you love were created? They were all brand new at one point.

Indeed they were. And not every new design is bad. There are plenty of good contemporary designs.

The problem with your theory, however, is that it's not focused on the team looking as good as possible. It's about pushing the design envelope. Which in other fields is a great thing. In the world of sports uniforms, however, pushing the envelope just for the sake of pushing the envelope leads to messes like the Bills' and Flames' current looks.

Sometimes an old look is simply better. If a team can look back into its history and pull out a timeless, classic look to reintroduce then that's what they should do rather then risk designing something new and ending up with an aesthetic mess.

Also sports design isn't only about aesthetics, it's about identity (as with any branding) and sometimes when you've lost a teams identity in a messed up contemporary design the best thing to do is to go retro in order to reclaim that identity.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't let the franchise player "own" the franchise. And this was a huge mistake of Cleveland in my opinion. Coincidentally or not the lifespan of those uniforms

qjcj3isgb2fkqihp6v13y13py.gif

was exactly the time LeBron spent with Cavs and the most succesful period in the franchise's history. The correlation between the latter is obvious. However, immediate rebranding made it look even more as it was LeBron Cavs, not Cleveland Cavs. I agree that only few teams manage too stay with a classic look over the years (Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Bulls) but changing uniforms because of one player means a lack of team's self-respect to me. So even if Nuggets' look might be improved, it should not be done right now.

I agree. Maybe the colors could be colors could be modified, since the gold and burgundy seem to clash a bit. Use this as the primary, the pickaxe thing as the secondary. Get rid of the car-emblem script thing.

2003-2004 through 2007-2008:

DenverNuggets_PML1_2004-2008_SOL_SRGB.png

2008-2009 through present:

DenverNuggets_PML1_2009-9999_SOL_SRGB.png

The current logo is by far the best of the bunch. Darkening the Blue to Navy improved the logo immensely because there wasn't enough contrast between the two blues.

The logo itself is terrible. It's like the Utah Jazz mountain logo, they just won't let it die. The Nuggets need to adopt the pick axe logo as the primary.

Agreed. The Pickaxe logo is superior to any of the logos Colorwerx posted.

I don't see why they would change. This is the best identity the Nuggets have ever had.

Same was true of the Cavs, and they changed right after LeBron left.

That was coincidental, though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With or without LeBron the Cavs was going to change uniform regardless but I would the logo to match the wordmark.

As for the Nuggets the pick ax is a perfect alt logo what I would do is match the wordmark of their alternate road uni or just had the mountain with the Nuggets replacing Denver on the logo.

Maybe work a "D" into the pickaxe logo somewhere, like instead of or over top of the basketball. Not sure if it's a recognizeable enough mark to serve as a primary logo sans wordmark, but I agree that it's better than the mountain (which I don't think is nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe work a "D" into the pickaxe logo somewhere, like instead of or over top of the basketball. Not sure if it's a recognizeable enough mark to serve as a primary logo sans wordmark, but I agree that it's better than the mountain (which I don't think is nearly as bad as some of you make it out to be.)

Doesn't the NBA have a rule that the name of the city has to be included somewhere in the primary logo?

That being said, I'm good with a modified version of the pickaxe logo, just as long as the Nuggets don't do something like this!...

Sixers_logo_red1.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

I really hope they never go back to anything like what they had in 93-03. You guys may think that looks nice, but growing up in Denver, I just can't look at that logo without being reminded of lousy Nuggets teams. Maybe it's a nice look, but the years of losing with that identity have created a firm bias against it.

... and I really hope the Broncos never use the old logo because they remind me of the Super Bowl losing teams ^_^

At least there were Super Bowls with that era. The 90's- early 00's Nuggets had few positives beyond the Sonics upset, if any, and I was only 3 at the time. The Nugget's identity changed the year Carmelo came, and that was the same year we started returning to the playoffs. The Nuggets were finally exciting and interesting on the court, and the current package benefits from that association in my mind.

To give Andrew Harrington a break... teams have to submit uniform changes 2 year prior to their intended year of change... so unless the Nuggets submitted a change last year, then they wont be changing identities for at least 2 more years.

Personally, I love their primary home and roads. Their alt is crap... but their primaries are nice.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

To give Andrew Harrington a break... teams have to submit uniform changes 2 year prior to their intended year of change

Do they have to submit the actual changes, or just a statement of intent of making changes?

I read that MLB designs have to be sumitted in May of the previous season. Two years seems a bit much.

Assuming you're comparing it to post-Lebron Cleveland, trying to "start fresh" without their star.

Maybe. Who knows.

The Cavaliers had those changes brewing before Lebron decided, or at least announced, anything. Dont they have to be in a year or so ahead of the season they will be used during, or am I thinking of something else.

Assuming you're comparing it to post-Lebron Cleveland, trying to "start fresh" without their star.

Maybe. Who knows.

The Cavaliers had those changes brewing before Lebron decided, or at least announced, anything. Dont they have to be in a year or so ahead of the season they will be used during, or am I thinking of something else.

I could understand having to submit "official final" changes maybe 6 months before the season starts (meaning around April or May). I don't know for a fact what the rule is, but I don't see why they would have to have the designs submitted so early. I just find it kind of hard to believe, for example, that the Wizards had their new logo (for next season) submitted before this season started. Of course I don't know, but I just feel like that's too early. Maybe they just have to submit a "rough draft" at least a year prior, or something like that.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'd love to see them combine the colors from the 1990's and update it to the current pickaxe logo and make the necessary changes to their uniforms, as a simply palette swap to their prior colors wouldn't look that good.

However, I've always thought that maroon is an appropriate color of most Colorado teams, and that's why despite hating the team, I liked the Avalanche's identity after they relocated from Quebec City. Perhaps the Nuggets could go with a maroon/gold combination and have the pickaxe become the dominant logo, much like the way Atlanta and Phoenix's alternate logos have unofficially become their primaries.

Archived