2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

This might be the first time all year the Mets have worn the black jerseys. And you know what?

[unpopular opinion spoiler alert]

I think they look good.

[/]

It's the muddling of the black on the rest of the uniforms that looked ugly. Honestly, a stand-alone black jersey doesn't look half bad. But this is the form in which it should be used - very sparingly. And that's where the Mets went wrong in the first place, and why they have to dump black altogether in due time. It's a shame, really.

spacer.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, I dont HATE the black... grew up watching them play in it, but its run its course.

It would have been ok if they wore them sparingly over the years, but when it started being used as the primary essentially it had to go.

Era of the black uni is over, let the era of the beautiful blue uni begin!

True2OB.png

I've been watching for a few innings and it just hit me. Guess I've gotten used to it over the years. Had to come here to see what was up.

If it's among their options, they're going to use it. Not surprised they found a reason to break them out. I'm in agreement that this uni looks nice by by itself (the other black cap was worse, IMO, and the trim removal on the rest is fantastic). Royal pops off black fine for me, especially with the white outline, but even the blue piping is easy to see. I'd say it doesn't look like the Mets, but I didn't even notice right away, so...

Anyway, I see a future where the black is back as a throwback, probably a popular one.

Also odd is that they appear to have given out blue caps to the fans tonight, almost as if to say, "Don't get used to it." Strange though that these show up just days after such a monumetal event solidified the old look's return.

The mets of my childhood wore black, it looked horrible with the whites,pinstripes, and roads. The Black and Blue hate was horrible, but the black jersey with "NEW YORK" on the front isn't bad nor is the one they are wearing this evening, but it has no place in the new scheme.

if they would save it for like once a month, it wouldnt be too bad, but only for a night game. they were Great tonight, and i appreciated all of the black accessories with them, ie, dugout jackets, wrist bands, ect... Except for David Wright and his STUPID ORANGE UNDERSHIRT... i dont understand how he gets to be the exception when it comes to that... everyone else wears a certain color undershirt, and he doesnt...

From the Mets Twitter

New York Mets ‏@Mets

#Mets players will be wearing black jerseys tonight in honor of John Franco #FrancoHOF http://pic.twitter.com/2U8cP44r

If they have to use the black jerseys at all, this is the perfect way to do it. Bust them out again as one-offs in future years for each of Piazza, Alfonzo, Leiter, and Valentine's inductions into the Mets HOF </speculation>. Black is a part of Mets history now, and let's keep it that way - just as a nod to that time period.

if they would save it for like once a month, it wouldnt be too bad, but only for a night game. they were Great tonight, and i appreciated all of the black accessories with them, ie, dugout jackets, wrist bands, ect... Except for David Wright and his STUPID ORANGE UNDERSHIRT... i dont understand how he gets to be the exception when it comes to that... everyone else wears a certain color undershirt, and he doesnt...

I love the orange undershirt, i think it looks great

True2OB.png

Anyone notice that these jerseys still used the old glacier-twill on letters/numbers that they don't anymore on the new uniforms?

This also is the reason why the 50th anniversary patch appeared on the right sleeve with the black secondary Mets logo on the left (bumping the Carter patch to the chest for a night). It's the same jersey as last year just waiting to die.

It will be blue next season, and there'll be an All-Star game patch on the right sleeve at that time.

Also, best line of the night on Twitter: It was to honor MATT Franco, not John.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I love the orange undershirt, i think it looks great

not saying it looks terrible... but its not uniform...

We can disagree/argue about the no-hitter/non-no-hitter all day, but despite that and Dickey's shutout yesterday, I think we can all agree that at least the Mets looked absolutely beautiful while doing so. The white/piping homes should definitely be returned as the primary home uniforms next season after the 50th anniversary is over.

It's almost like the Karma Police saw this and said, "Well, let's throw the black alts out there just so everyone remembers they still exist."

But at least it was likely just a one-off for Franco.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

To me it's like the Jays going to their black look in 2004. To a point, it didn't come off as too bad when I first saw it. But the emphasis of black and the shift away from what used to look good made us wish they never made the change. Now with both teams going back to what looked best, I think now we can look back at the black look and be happy that we've moved on from it

Go A's!

To me it's like the Jays going to their black look in 2004. To a point, it didn't come off as too bad when I first saw it. But the emphasis of black and the shift away from what used to look good made us wish they never made the change. Now with both teams going back to what looked best, I think now we can look back at the black look and be happy that we've moved on from it

I too liked the Jays' black look when it first came out. But after awhile it started to hit me that as the Blue Jays, they should be wearing...not black. I still can't get over how beautiful both the Mets and the Jays look now.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

The black jerseys would work for a late 90's expansion team, but they're not the Mets that we all grew up watching so it never felt right on them.

Plus, it forced black on the white and gray uniforms which made for ugly, muddled wordmarks and numbers. And it caused one of the ugliest caps in baseball in this:

new-york-mets-road-black-royal-brim-pinch-hitter-adjustable-hat-3110097.jpg

yuck.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived