2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

1324799813' post='1713105']
1324794826' post='1713082']
1324780931' post='1712989']
1324746458' post='1712729']
1324744686' post='1712717']

I almost forgot when are the Rockies going to unvile their new uniforms or is it for next year?

The mods are relatively minor, and only affect the road unis. Don't know when they'll be unveiled however.

In January. There was a tweet from an official team source a week or two back.

Correct. They will be revealed at the season ticket holders' RockiesFest on 1/21.

This popped up on a Rockies blog. The piping is the wrong color, so this is probably a replica mock-up rather than an official image, but it more or less confirms what we've been expecting - no more pinstripes, and a look very similar to the pre-2000 road jersey, only with "COLORADO" instead of "ROCKIES". If it is similar to the pre-2000 jersey, then that will mean a purple NOB and numbers, and will likely also feature numbers on the front in line with the rest of the team's post-2000 jerseys.

ivU96.jpg

That appearing on a blog confirms nothing. Only someone who as actually seen the official files can "confirm" it.

Right. The only thing that confirms is that some people don't know what the word "confirms" means.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

May have our first logo change for 2015 on tap. Looks like the A's are going to be granted approval to move to San Jose for the 2015 season by Feb at the latest according to USA Today, where they'll become the San Jose Athletics (A's). This will at the very least necessitate a new primary logo and new away uniform. Both the first real changes for those respectively since 1993.

May have our first logo change for 2015 on tap. Looks like the A's are going to be granted approval to move to San Jose for the 2015 season by Feb at the latest according to USA Today, where they'll become the San Jose Athletics (A's). This will at the very least necessitate a new primary logo and new away uniform. Both the first real changes for those respectively since 1993.

I'm hopeful that they maintain the same logo and script on the road jersey and just interchange it from Oakland to San Jose.

Go A's!

I hope they go team name on the road in that case, San jose would be jarring.

Maybe a San jose black alternate to match up a bit with the sharks.

No! No! Absolutely not! The A's have tried twice and failed both times, finally realizing they are green and gold and nothing else. No black is needed.

I hope they go team name on the road in that case, San jose would be jarring.

Maybe a San jose black alternate to match up a bit with the sharks.

No! No! Absolutely not! The A's have tried twice and failed both times, finally realizing they are green and gold and nothing else. No black is needed.

But it would be in a brand new city with a potentially new or strongly altered identity. No need to rule out a black jersey for a team identity that isn't even established yet, and won't be (if it even happens) for several years.

For the record (I might have posted this in the Unpopular Opinions thread), I didn't mind the black A's jerseys. I thought they looked badass. And from what I remember, they didn't wear them very often. If they wore them too often, then I would have a problem with them.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The a's black would sell in San Jose, and would be the best way to bar San Jose on the front without damaging the other 4 looks. The grey oakland is one of their best, but to change it to Athletics or just A's is the only way to make the change smooth for fans used to one look. A San Jose A's jersey would feel like a minor league team to me for a few years in name and on field.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

A "new identity" for the A's would be a sports logos and uniforms tragedy. The A's have one of the most awesome identities in sports.

Also, it seems that recently, in preparation of their departure from Oakland, they've stopped wearing the road grays and are only wearing the green Athletics alternates on the road. I don't know if this has been mentioned here before.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

In a vacuum, the black A's unis were fine (well, could have used some tweaks).

However, the A's play in a league where they are the ONLY team that uses green, and have arguably the best look in the sport without the black. Why mess with that?

One thing with the move that might be cool would be an interlocking "SJ" road cap... white "S", yellow "J", all-green cap.

This is an even better opportunity for them to de-emphasize their location and throw back to just the A logo on jerseys and caps.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

A "new identity" for the A's would be a sports logos and uniforms tragedy. The A's have one of the most awesome identities in sports.

Also, it seems that recently, in preparation of their departure from Oakland, they've stopped wearing the road grays and are only wearing the green Athletics alternates on the road. I don't know if this has been mentioned here before.

To answer your questions about the gray jerseys being worn less, it's just coincidence. How could they have prepared for a departure when at that time, they didn't even know if they were moving.

I actually liked the black jerseys a lot, but since the A's don't feature black in their logo, I knew it didn't belong. I like the A's to keep their current colors without bring black back. Too many teams wear black anyway

Go A's!

To answer your questions about the gray jerseys being worn less, it's just coincidence. How could they have prepared for a departure when at that time, they didn't even know if they were moving.

I actually liked the black jerseys a lot, but since the A's don't feature black in their logo, I knew it didn't belong. I like the A's to keep their current colors without bring black back. Too many teams wear black anyway

They have been wearing grey less. While they didn't have official approval (and they still won't for a month or two), they have been operating on the assumption that San Jose is going to happen for a year or two now. Baseball is just finally catching up to their wishes. I'd be surprised to see them wear the greys much at all this year after the move is announced. As for changes when they move to SJ. I'd like to see them keep most of their current set intact since it's not really city specific and is one of the most unique uniform sets in MLB and indeed all of sports. What I would like to see is a "San Jose" scripted grey uni and possibly either an alternate cap or away cap that features an interlocking "SJ" on it to accompany the existing home cap. Frankly this is a fairly unique move as far as MLB history is concerned. Yes they'd be changing cities which should come with a few new things in the identity, but they're also still in the same market both before and after the move. And they should maintain some continuity as well to reflect that.

They have been wearing grey less. While they didn't have official approval (and they still won't for a month or two), they have been operating on the assumption that San Jose is going to happen for a year or two now. Baseball is just finally catching up to their wishes. I'd be surprised to see them wear the greys much at all this year after the move is announced. As for changes when they move to SJ. I'd like to see them keep most of their current set intact since it's not really city specific and is one of the most unique uniform sets in MLB and indeed all of sports. What I would like to see is a "San Jose" scripted grey uni and possibly either an alternate cap or away cap that features an interlocking "SJ" on it to accompany the existing home cap. Frankly this is a fairly unique move as far as MLB history is concerned. Yes they'd be changing cities which should come with a few new things in the identity, but they're also still in the same market both before and after the move. And they should maintain some continuity as well to reflect that.

I would think that the team will make a serious conscious effort to take away Oakland in their final year or two (like the Marlins did before they became Miami). I have noticed that the road grays are worn less but I'm assuming that it's only because the starting pitchers just like the green tops. I could be wrong and we can only assume why they wear the green more often on the road.

I really hope that the rebranding of the team doesn't change their team colors. I hope that it is minor and that changing the script on the road grays is the only major change.

Go A's!

Huge fan of the A's and their look, but I'll throw this out there:

With everyone going "retro," and this team's former look being dynamite, would it be a terrible thought to return to kelly green and yellow? If not, it's fine. The uniform is great. I think the kelly would sell really well. Instead of trying to match with the Sharks' black alt., why not "lighten the look up"? The Sharks are a teal team, so maybe a lighter green would tie in nicer to that package, and we can stop worrying about black ... anything!

Never read too much into teams wearing less grey. The A's are a doubleknit/COOLBASE team (they have all sets available in both materials). It's entirely possible that they just bring the COOLBASE road alts and the greys in whatever material each player prefers, but they wear the alts more often because of the lighter material.

It's a possibility. It's also possible they have been actively trying to de-emphasize OAKLAND.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Road gray jerseys have been in the Coolbase material for the past couple of seasons.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Road gray jerseys have been in the Coolbase material for the past couple of seasons.

I know. The A's are one of the teams that have players who wear both doubleknit & COOLBASE versions of the grey (by player preference). But they might have gotten a COOLBASE set of the green alts and they just decide to wear that more often on the road.

But aren't the A's one of the teams that let's the pitcher decide anyway? Maybe this has more to do with why we see green more often from them.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I know. The A's are one of the teams that have players who wear both doubleknit & COOLBASE versions of the grey (by player preference). But they might have gotten a COOLBASE set of the green alts and they just decide to wear that more often on the road.

But aren't the A's one of the teams that let's the pitcher decide anyway? Maybe this has more to do with why we see green more often from them.

Correct, the starting pitcher picks what jersey to wear. Couple years ago it seemed like they hardly wore the grey. But last year they actually did quite a bit. As Cahill and Anderson prefer natural jerseys. But Gio always wore colored jerseys. So with him gone, you will probably see the grey more.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Archived