SportsLogos.Net New Features

CC97

I am already seeing a problem. One group wants to see logos for smaller sports or leagues. The other group wants to see the major sports updated. Honestly, both would be nice, but I think only one can happen at a time. I'm not sure how this all works, but different people can take on different things, a community project.

I think that improving the channels to submit logos would help facilitate both ventures.

gYH2mW9.png

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I'd like to say I love the site, and have been visiting regularly for at least a year or so. It's an awesome database and I personally find sports logos fascinating.

As far as suggestions for what new could be added, one suggestion that I haven't seen brought up is a section for Fictional Sports Teams. You know, movies, games, etc. I remember seeing a helmet database around that included helmet logos from football movies like North Dallas Forty, The Replacements, even the sitcom Coach. It'd be fascinating to see them gathered and compared to the real stuff to see how they stack up.

8VvwoNps.png

Hi Chris,

Love your site, it's the best. How about CAN-AM league (baseball), Canada West and Québec Universities football logos.

Also I can not right-click and "save target as" on NCAA logos, any reason why?

Thanks.

So basically, add every logo ever. What's that? You can't add the EPL logos? Well, I don't read anything before posting, so please add the EPL logos. Oh, and wrestling logos, because it's totally a sport. It's real to me, dammit.

Seriously though, going along with what Slapshot (I think) posted, I think a simple database update that would allow for a "parent franchise" to link the defuncts to the currents would be nice. I think it's OK to treat each city change as a separate franchise, but there should be a "view entire franchise history" option that would link it all together. Don't know your db, but it could be as easy as on field.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Updating the Lacrosse section? Also, the international soccer logos. How about a like/dislike system? Wait, theres the stars... whatever, get rid of comments.

Lastly, in the "new logos" part on the home page, put what was updated. So if it is a Pittsburgh Penguins season patch, make it say that.

Thank you Chris.

Glad to see lots of ideas, honestly I was hoping to hear more about new feature ideas rather than requests for logos to be added to the database but I'll be taking these into consideration as well.

To quickly address some ideas/comments that have been mentioned several times:

- legally can't add EPL logos, their lawyers took care of that section, the Rovers were the only team to grant me permission, I wasn't even allowed to use the league name/logo

- the NCAA requested I disable to ability to right-click on their images, so in order to keep the logos on the site I complied... it's amazing the amount of hate mail I got for that

- there was a reason why i stopped linking directly to logos on the update page, 4DOOR knows why. Anyways, it'll come back... mountains shouldn't care about ant hills

Polls is something I've really wanted to add, so I'm glad there was a mention of that in there.

Franchise view is definitely do-able, I've started a bit of a franchise logo timeline view on the new logo detail page, see the Primary Logo Timeline on this page as an example: http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=nlray22u33hhmvm2oyfg -- I'll try to roll out this feature at a team page level

Not sure if anyone noticed but I started a photo gallery of logos/uniforms "in action" on some logo/uniform detail pages, so far it's been mostly photos I've taken or trading card photos but I might start soliciting user contributions to help populate this feature... you can see an example of this here:

http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=ruk6vl5f1xcag0nnr5857lahk

Details on the designer was a request... it's another feature I've added but haven't really done a good job with it, you can see it along the right-hand side here with other info: http://sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=82vfhup2nflrbcogo4bubyq8e I agree that there should be a link, I would also like to allow a spot for the designer to share their thoughts on the logo or design process.

I'm reluctant to allow user uploads, there's security issues that worry me as well as quality issues -- perhaps we could tie it into the board user db (along with the commenting system, which i actually like -- sometimes there's some useful info in there! :) )

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

More soccer logos... maybe you can't add Premier League teams, but it would be nice to see logos from other leagues. One league I specially would like to see is the Mexican League. Also, an update to the soccer uniforms already on the site is needed, some are from a few seasons ago.

In the update section it only shows what team got an updated logo or uniform. That's fine, but when I go to the page, I would love to see an indicator showing the actual logo or uniform that got updated or added. Something as simple as a colorful border or the word 'new' would work just fine. This could be up for a couple of weeks.

I am also in the camp that thinks the uniform section should get a little more love. Baseball uniforms have big gaps in uniform histories like the Astros of the 90's and the Mariners of the late 80's. The site may not have the 'official' files for these teams but there are many talented artists that can re-create just about anything. Trust me, I know. Either commission them or select volunteers and just give them credit for adding to the site.

This too.

How about PGA Golf logos?

USHL and Hockey East as well as more Canadian junior hockey leagues like BCHL, OHA, AJHL, SJHL.

If you add the BCHL, AJHL, and SJHL, then you also have to add the MJHL,SIJHL, NOJHL, OJHL, LHJAAAQ, CCHL, and MHL.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I don't think Chris should add association football logos apart from the North American leagues. There are plenty of sites with football logos (e.g. www.football11.net) and there's no point in competing with them.

What about an optional slider-display view for each team's logo history?

As in, there's a single logo displayed with a timeline-looking bar underneath that's actually a slider. You could move the slider forward through the years to see the progression of the logo over time. Or you could scale this idea for an entire league, displaying all of the league's logos for a specific year. The year displayed would be controlled by the slider.

Maybe this is a dumb, pointless idea, but I just thought about it earlier this morning and reckoned I'd throw it out there to see if anyone thought it would be of any value. I imagine its use would be purely aesthetic and maybe a bit gimmicky, but there you go.

EDIT: There could also be a separate drop-down menu of sorts to choose what logo you want to see for that team, like primary, secondary, wordmark, whatever. Or you could just view all logos used by a team for a specific year.

All I would really ask for is to disable the pop-up view (or whatever it's called), because it seems to stall a lot. Some logos just go right to the .gif in the browser. I like that for full-size viewing. Noting what the new additions are would be neat too instead of leaving it all to guesswork.

You can save NCAA logos by clicking on them and dragging them into Adobe Photoshop. Then you can play around with them and make concepts.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think that the forums are displayed poorly. They are just a small little button on the side of the page. Many potential members wouldn't see it or know what it was. It should be more prominent in the main page so people can know how awesome it is.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Archived