Wizards 2011 Uniform Change

Red&Blue Crew

Get rid of that thin navy stripe down the sides of the jerseys and shorts, and you're a lot better off in all respects. That little stripe really does goof everything up.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get rid of that thin navy stripe down the sides of the jerseys and shorts, and you're a lot better off in all respects. That little stripe really does goof everything up.

Yes, it really is bad. It looked bad when they were unveiled, but it looks even worse in action. So bad, IMO, that they should really consider removing it as part of a minor tweak after the season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Regarding Philly, I'm in the camp that thinks they actually look really great. In my humble opinion, it's a great blend of modern and classic that makes for a sharp uniform.

Yeah they definitely went simple, but I guess my issue is the font. Some could say it looks "classic"...I say it looks dated and awkward.

The Wizards did a great job with their font, in my opinion. Looks sharp. Some minor blunders with the uniform, sure, but I would rather look at them than Philly's.

I dont mind the navy stripe on the jersey but the pants are just messing up the beauty in the new look. Also like everyone else on the boards has been saying, the number outline should be white instead of grey.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

Look even better in action. Set is almost perfect except on the road's I'd rather see the blue as the dominant color as opposed to the red. Even the practice gear is top notch.

I'm gonna reserve judgment on the roads until I see them in action tomorrow night. A lot of times I think your opinion of a uni can completely change once you see it in action. That's what happened to me with their home unis. I went from hating them to liking them, just by seeing them on the court in action. I think the red might actually look nice.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

No pics yet, but tonight we get the red road ones as the home-and-home preseason with Philly wraps up. From far away on the standard TV camera, all you see is a red uniform with a thick white stripe. You don't really notice the navy at the top until they're shown up close...

That ill-conceived "W" on the bottom of the shorts really sticks out on the red set, and does it no favors in the process. The star should be right at the bottom of the shorts instead. Also, is the number outline the only place silver is used on either uniform?

It's still an improvement over the old set, and is a few small adjustments away from being a modern classic. As-is, though, the set feels like it's trying too hard and attempting to do too much.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the reason the stripe sticks out is that it is so thin, rather than being the same width as the red areas above and below which would make the jersey truly hooped.

Oh, and I don't mind silver only being used on the numbers. It somehow works.

The numbers should be double-outlined, condensed varsity block. That's what I would've done. Red outlined in white and blue on white, blue outlined in red and white on red. The silver doesn't belong.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The blue panels on the road shorts really look weird to me considering there's no consistency going up the side of the jersey. I don't have an issue with this on the home uni, but it looks more forced here. Still much better overall package than the old uni's however.

123xa2.png

In action on TV, the back numbers are nearly unreadable from most angles. The outline just isn't thick enough. A basic block font with thicker outline would work much better.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived