Wizards 2011 Uniform Change

Red&Blue Crew

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two thumbs way up. I love the unis, love the color scheme, and I love the new logos. The wordmarks are great (love the capital detail). I only have two small beefs.

1) The old logo has to go. Pony up the $500,000 and hire these guys to design a new primary. They clearly do great work and it would be worth every penny.

2) I don't like how the stripes in the shorts go up to the waistband and stop. Seems way to arbitrary and kind of detracts from the beautiful top half of the uniform. You can see the problem best in this photo:

topstory_670c_051011.jpg

Overall, this design gets a solid A from me and becomes one of my favorite uni sets in the league.

EDIT: This is how I would have fixed the striping on the shorts (or something similar). It keeps the design as simple as possible and doesn't just cut off at the waistband.

5c44757d.jpg

The new look is perfect except for the recolouring of that awful Wizards' logo. They should just dump that thing. It's busy and dated and doesn't go with any other part of their rebrand. Wizards seems like a place holder name anyways. They don't need wizard imagery.

Otherwise I love the new look. They took the best elements of the old and simplified them.

They can't just dump it, they would be fined $500,000. However, the loophole is they can keep it but never use it. The ball logo, the alt, will almost assuredly become the unofficial primary, especially if it shows up at mid court, which it probably will.

McGee's "trademark" is to give the crowd a poorly-formed salute after a dunk or a flashy play. He started it two years ago after a home game attended by President Obama; now, it's his thing, similar to several years back when the Clippers' Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson used to tap their foreheads after made baskets.

I miss the days when guys would just start up the floor, and get ready to play defense.

God forbid someone has fun or shows some personality on the court! Nope, since sports is SERIOUS BUSINESS!!! everybody has to be somber all the time. :rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

McGee's "trademark" is to give the crowd a poorly-formed salute after a dunk or a flashy play. He started it two years ago after a home game attended by President Obama; now, it's his thing, similar to several years back when the Clippers' Darius Miles and Quentin Richardson used to tap their foreheads after made baskets.

I miss the days when guys would just start up the floor, and get ready to play defense.

God forbid someone has fun or shows some personality on the court! Nope, since sports is SERIOUS BUSINESS!!! everybody has to be somber all the time. :rolleyes:

Showmanship has its place, when something at least moderately special happens. But in every sport nowadays, you've got guys you've never even heard of, making spectacles of themselves after every routine play...it's a little much.

Showmanship has its place, when something at least moderately special happens. But in every sport nowadays, you've got guys you've never even heard of, making spectacles of themselves after every routine play...it's a little much.

McGee is the only player on the Wizards with any sort of regularly done signature celebration like that, so I don't have a problem with it. And he does it while he is getting back on defense, it's not like he just stands under the basket for 5 seconds and does the salute. I don't have a problem with it.

If every player on a team did some special motion after every play then that would kind of be stupid.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Two thumbs way up. I love the unis, love the color scheme, and I love the new logos. The wordmarks are great (love the capital detail). I only have two small beefs.

1) The old logo has to go. Pony up the $500,000 and hire these guys to design a new primary. They clearly do great work and it would be worth every penny.

2) I don't like how the stripes in the shorts go up to the waistband and stop. Seems way to arbitrary and kind of detracts from the beautiful top half of the uniform. You can see the problem best in this photo:

topstory_670c_051011.jpg

Overall, this design gets a solid A from me and becomes one of my favorite uni sets in the league.

EDIT: This is how I would have fixed the striping on the shorts (or something similar). It keeps the design as simple as possible and doesn't just cut off at the waistband.

5c44757d.jpg

I like your modified shorts. It kinda looks like the top of the Washington Monument... adding to its already monument theme

Go A's!

The logos are actually pretty decent. But the uniforms are a joke. Why, WHY, would you replicate those awful stripe unis. WHY do they need to come back for another reign of terror and repulsion. Look at them. :censored:ing look at them. They're :censored:ing terrible. Some of the most hideous uniforms in all of sports. The guy who thought up the original design should be kicked in the balls.

:censored:ing sick of the pansy-ass designers in this league who always need to go retro. One, most of the 'retro' uniforms are awful (course most of us are too busy jerking off in the past to realize it). Two, you did absolutely no work by just switching back to the old uni template, and just changing up the script, slapping the alt logo on there somewhere, and a couple other subtleties. Zero creativity. Third, empty traditions are stupid enough as is, but they get even more ludicrous in these situations, when a franchise like Washington has almost nothing in their to look back and smile on, pretty much no way to justify updating these atrocities.

Logos - B, Uniforms - F minus minus, overall D minus. Rant over.

So, you're harping on a lack of creativity, yet they're wearing a uniform that is unlike any in the NBA right now? The wordmarks are nothing to write home about, but the uniform itself is one of the best in the league. I'mnot feeling the blue pinstripe up the side and I think they could have done the shorts a little differently, but this is a bold, iconic and unique uniform in the NBA.

Also, the designers don't write the brief and decide to go retro. The team writes a brief and the designers explore all options, including retro, modern and everything in between over the entire course of development.

Why don't you show us your end-all, be-all Wizards concept and we can talk.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I like these. I actually saw them on Yahoo's Ball Don't Lie before here, and they used the road replica as their main photo. Oops, but I actually prefer those without the extra stripe, even if it does make them seem a bit WNBA. Maybe another navy stripe instead of white would have worked better. I really like the way the white jersey turned out, though.

The alt logos are solid, but neither screams "primary" to me, even paired with a Wizards script. Also, the monument ball/star struck me as a Wizards reference because it doubles as a magic wand to me.

The dc is a nice tribute to the Bullets but I prefer the d treatment in the wizards wordmark.

I like they stayed unique. Overall, it works for me. Nice job, kpbl (?), if you worked on it.

theres some details i dont like about it. stripes on the side, the cheesey DC logo, not real sure about the number font and how it lays on the stripe. but overall this is an amazing uniform. im absolutely in love with it. im usually really against red/white/blue but i love these hues. by far the best basketball uni ive ever seen

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I tip the cap to the designers. I have a feeling being constrained to the impossible NBA rules and regs regarding ID changes, they did this quite well. The owner wanted a retro bullets feel, they did that and made it clever and modern deliciously.

Very solid design work. Anyone who is complaining about the concept is forgetting that you design to the client...and Teddy made it quite clear what he wanted.

Bravo.

It's nice to see people praise the designers for once. It seems like when it's good, the team gets all the credit, and when it sucks, well, it's all adidas' fault in many eyes. Truth is, the whole process is a back and forth, and each entity definitely puts their stamp on it, with the team ultimately holding the pen to sign off on the work they've commissioned.

The adidas designers did a nice job on this one. The only things I don't particularly like are the Washington Monument in the wordmarks, the basketball dot on the i, the spiky serifs on the type and the numerals, and the sparse use of silver, I suppose. Those are all execution issues. The concept behind this one, and the uniform template itself, are pretty spot on.

well said AH

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

When their only championship was won wearing similair uniforms

Washington_Bullets_World_Champions_1978%5B1%5D%281%29.jpg

Wow, a single championship. What a sad franchise, then.

If that's your measuring stick for "sad franchises" in the NBA then 80% of the teams are "sad". Grow up.

Teams who have not won more than one NBA championship:

Nets

Raptors

Pacers

Bucks

Heat

Magic

Hawks

Bobcats

Thunder

Nuggets

Blazers

Jazz

T-Wolves

Suns

Clippers

Kings

Mavs

Hornets

Grizzlies

That's 19 of the 30 teams. So not quite 80 percent, but close.

...and the Cavaliers.

6fQjS3M.png

When their only championship was won wearing similair uniforms

Washington_Bullets_World_Champions_1978%5B1%5D%281%29.jpg

Wow, a single championship. What a sad franchise, then.

If that's your measuring stick for "sad franchises" in the NBA then 80% of the teams are "sad". Grow up.

Teams who have not won more than one NBA championship:

Nets

Raptors

Pacers

Bucks

Heat

Magic

Hawks

Bobcats

Thunder

Nuggets

Blazers

Jazz

T-Wolves

Suns

Clippers

Kings

Mavs

Hornets

Grizzlies

That's 19 of the 30 teams. So not quite 80 percent, but close.

...and the Cavaliers.

You didn't include the Bullets/Wizards in that list, either. Up to 21, I guess.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

I wouldn't be surprised, the same owner probably used the same design team.

Same team, different designers.

Are you part of the design team? If so, kudos, it was a great job.

Yes I am... I designed the Monument Ball logo. I won't lie, I had some help along the way to push it beyond the original concept.

I'm glad to see it's been received so well... Thanks everyone!

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

Archived