Wizards 2011 Uniform Change

Red&Blue Crew

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying to find a pic of the shorts. Anyone have a shot of it?

photosjerseys_051011_04.JPG

If you look at that section really close, it looks like the Texas flag.

Also, I really don't see the hidden W's in there.

Overall, I liked the old colors much better but these uniform designs are clearly better.

Overall, I liked the old colors much better but these uniform designs are clearly better.

The navy section below the white star forms a "W". The notch in the shorts themselves help define the shape of the letter.

[snip]

I've decided this is the worst post in the entire topic.

*post*

This might be the worst post I've ever seen in my life.

Huh. Tough crowd. Did the sarcasm not translate?

The sarcasm translated, but it was still a dumb post.

Well, before your post, such "iconography" never even crossed my mind, nor would I imagine the minds of most people.

Today when I woke up, I saw my shoelace had made a crescent-like symbol on the floor, I guess it's a Muslim icon. Last week the Moon was in a crescent, obviously the work of Allah.

I tip the cap to the designers. I have a feeling being constrained to the impossible NBA rules and regs regarding ID changes, they did this quite well. The owner wanted a retro bullets feel, they did that and made it clever and modern deliciously.

Very solid design work. Anyone who is complaining about the concept is forgetting that you design to the client...and Teddy made it quite clear what he wanted.

Bravo.

It's nice to see people praise the designers for once. It seems like when it's good, the team gets all the credit, and when it sucks, well, it's all adidas' fault in many eyes. Truth is, the whole process is a back and forth, and each entity definitely puts their stamp on it, with the team ultimately holding the pen to sign off on the work they've commissioned.

The adidas designers did a nice job on this one. The only things I don't particularly like are the Washington Monument in the wordmarks, the basketball dot on the i, the spiky serifs on the type and the numerals, and the sparse use of silver, I suppose. Those are all execution issues. The concept behind this one, and the uniform template itself, are pretty spot on.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I can't prove this, but the evidence leads me to believe that the same designers were used for this as for the Capitals rebrand.

hhf7rsy9lfg9a2hl01gjtobhj.gifllrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif

3g5wchibh2ltoh617fcpgmfio.gifb9hvwjslf7jzh18ej6y4.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

^ re: humor: YMMV. But I wouldn't be surprised to see folks make (what they think are) legitimate complaints about the Muslim iconography they think they see in that logo.

Yeah, but the Washington Monumet looks like it about to deflower the crecent moon and the star.

"Daddy, what is America doing to Islam?"

"Uh...wrestling."

"Oh, well it looks like America's winning."

I think it's great...I always thought the old stripes looked ugly, but these do it in a nicer way, and I've stated many times that the "stripes" are the Bullets identity more than the r/w/b.

A few side opinions:

- It ties into the Bullet tradition enough that I don't think the name needs to be changed back. I still think it's too disrespectful to Pollin to change it. And I would argue, that to some extent, the "Bullets" name belongs to Baltimore as much or more than to Washington.

- I even like the recolor; I find it interesting and appropriate that the wizard's skin is now a dark blue. Why shouldn't race-neutral mascots be dark skinned in a majority black league? (Did race neutrality have something to do with the Warriors robot mascot?)

- Not sure about the red yoke on the homes, that might seem confusing against a red road team.

I don't see the Texas flag...I do see the W...but I guess that's what makes us humans. No one is going to think or see the exact same way.

I hate it by default of the colors. How many more red-white-blue teams does the NBA need, or American professional sports in general?

Also, I don't know what you guys are looking at, but there's no "W" formed on the shorts. Unless you're talking about the lower part of the star, but that's probably not intentional.

I hate it by default of the colors. How many more red-white-blue teams does the NBA need, or American professional sports in general?

Also, I don't know what you guys are looking at, but there's no "W" formed on the shorts.

The blue below the star forms a shape that looks like a "W".

How many more red-white-blue teams does the NBA need, or American professional sports in general?

Also, I don't know what you guys are looking at, but there's no "W" formed on the shorts. Unless you're talking about the lower part of the star, but that's probably not intentional.

In the NBA, there are five other teams that feature RWB on their unis.

And the blue at the bottom of the star on the side forms a "W"

Go A's!

Archived