2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Wait a second... A D-III school got the death penalty from the NCAA? When was that??

Only school I (and everyone else) know who got it was SMU's football program during it's 'Pony Excess' days (BTW, if you can find it on DVD, go and watch Pony Excess. It's a great documentary).

2003 Morehouse College soccer: Explained above. The team does not exist anymore as a consequence. (oopsie, they were D-II, though)

Yep. Imagine my surprise when I asked "Is there a soccer program here?" during my pre-application visit there, only to get a "Uhhhhh, we got the death penalty in soccer a few years ago...sooooooo...yeeahhhhhhh," response. Went home, wikipedia'd it, & there it was. The fact that the school DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT THE TEAM EXISTED, THOUGH. :blink:

But yeah, nobody in big-time college football is getting the death penalty these days unless it's just out-&-out cheating over a decade, like SMU. Hell, nobody will get a TV ban nowadays, so the death penalty is out of the question here.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, the whole 'vacating your wins' thing is a total bunch of grade A horse puckey.

Most of us here watched Ohio State have a great season last year and they finally won a bowl game, against an SEC team no less! Now they want to tell everyone that 'It never happened. You didn't see anything...'

Bull.

Oh, and Lights Out: Nice idea, but you and I and everyone else here knows the NCAA isn't going to drop the hammer on Ohio State. If is it a hammer though, it would be one of those soft and squishy hammers that squeaks when it hits you. You know why? Because the NCAA is full of nothing more then spineless cowards that are more willing to follow a dollar trail then a trail of lies and deceit.

The embarrassment of not being able to claim that victory is bad though. As for bringing the hammer down on Ohio State, they didn't seem to have that much trouble doing it to USC.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wow... I'm starting to actually fell bad for them. I know that they were an incredibly corrupt program, and that they have a huge superiority complex, but jeez, someone in control must really hate these guys with a passion!

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Wow... I'm starting to actually fell bad for them. I know that they were an incredibly corrupt program, and that they have a huge superiority complex, but jeez, someone in control must really hate these guys with a passion!

I think it'd be naive to think that Ohio State is the ONLY program where this goes on. Other programs are either A. Less guilty (but still guilty) or B. better at keeping it under wraps. I think this is a lot more like the steroid issues in baseball, expect that this is much harder to check and maintain due to how absurd rules are.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Free Bruce is correct! I thought Craig James was an ass before, and I think he's even more of one now. That's saying something.

Even as a Georgia fan, it makes my stomach sick with what happened to Georgia Tech. Former Jacket center Sean Bedford made a powerful statement on a Facebook note, which has now flooded across the message boards and media outlets here in Atlanta.

----

Dear NCAA,

Thank you for handing down penalties that only adversely affect the players who did things the right way. This reeks of an organization desperate to prove that it has some sort of control over its member institutions despite lacking the ability and firepower to police the serious offenders and protect the student-athletes whose interests you purport to have at heart.

While I realize that all violations merit some kind of punishment, I have a hard time grasping the notion that one of the proudest moments in my life (and the lives of every other individual that was a part of the team and program in 2009) is apparently worth $312 in your eyes. If that truly is the case, I'd be happy to provide you with that same amount of money (cash or check, your choice) in exchange for the reinstatement of the title my teammates and I earned through our blood, sweat and tears.

It took months of hard work, dedication and personal sacrifice by a team of over 100 players, 10 coaches and countless staff members to achieve that championship, but, evidently, it only takes the handful of pencil pushers, lawyers and professors on your infractions committee to strip us of it.

I was a part of the 2009 ACC Championship team and, while you can pretend retroactively that it didn't happen, I have vivid memories of an incredible season that was, and continues to be, one of the most fun, meaningful, important, and very real times in my 23 years on this planet. I'll be wearing my championship ring with pride and if you want that too, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead finger.

Sincerely,

Sean Bedford

Fans of teams that are under investigation by the NCAA and which suckle at the teat of Nike don't get to call other programs corrupt.

Fans of teams that are under investigation by the NCAA and which suckle at the teat of Nike don't get to call other programs corrupt.

Because Auburn is not being investigated?

“I can’t go [to OSU] and take penalties for something I never did.” Another perfect example of why the entire team should not be punished for the acts of a few idiots. There has to be a better way.

Look, until the NCAA gets their hands on a TARDIS, this is the best they can do. The punishment has to be meaningful for anyone to notice, and the only meaningful punishments are going to affect the "innocent".

-----------------------------------------------------------

And to the Tech player, PROTIP: Don't act like a dick around NCAA investigators and they won't drop the hammer on you. You wouldn't tell the judge to go :censored: himself in a trial, now would you? The NCAA pretty much said the punishments are as severe as they are because..well...

According to the committee, the university’s failure to cooperate and meet the obligations of membership compounded the seriousness of the case by adding onto what was originally an isolated instance of impermissible benefits and preferential treatment.

Georgia Tech failed to cooperate and protect the integrity of the investigation when its staff members provided information to a football student-athlete regarding the scope of his upcoming interview, according to the committee findings. The university provided this information despite specific instructions by the enforcement staff, which the committee concluded impeded the investigation and hindered efforts to get to the truth in the case...

...“It appeared to the committee that the institution attempted to manipulate the information surrounding potential violations involving (the student-athlete) so there would be enough doubt about its validity to justify the decision not to declare him ineligible,” the independent body stated in its report.

The committee also noted the university took these actions despite information reported by the student-athlete, another football student-athlete and an assistant football coach regarding the potential agent involvement in preferential treatment benefits. The university subsequently barred the agency employee, a former student-athlete, from the university’s training facilities and denied him access to complimentary tickets to athletic contests. However, it did not follow up on the information regarding the involvement of the agency employee with the football student-athlete.

There's also the whole "let player play after he was knowingly ineligible" thing...which yeah is pretty much an auto-vacation of games he played in.

All in all, take your beef up with your school's compliance department. And possibly Paul Johnson. They are the culpable ones. If they had simply self-reported, the NCAA more than likely would have said "it's cool, don't let it happen again". They are the ones who cast away your blood sweat and tears.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Because Auburn is not being investigated?

I'm not the one calling other programs corrupt, I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy in you doing it.

?I can?t go [to OSU] and take penalties for something I never did.? Another perfect example of why the entire team should not be punished for the acts of a few idiots. There has to be a better way.

I don't mind, we got ourselves a very nice 4 star recruit heading our way and most likely more to come. :boogie:

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Even as a Georgia fan, it makes my stomach sick with what happened to Georgia Tech. Former Jacket center Sean Bedford made a powerful statement on a Facebook note, which has now flooded across the message boards and media outlets here in Atlanta.

----

Dear NCAA,

Thank you for handing down penalties that only adversely affect the players who did things the right way. This reeks of an organization desperate to prove that it has some sort of control over its member institutions despite lacking the ability and firepower to police the serious offenders and protect the student-athletes whose interests you purport to have at heart.

While I realize that all violations merit some kind of punishment, I have a hard time grasping the notion that one of the proudest moments in my life (and the lives of every other individual that was a part of the team and program in 2009) is apparently worth $312 in your eyes. If that truly is the case, I'd be happy to provide you with that same amount of money (cash or check, your choice) in exchange for the reinstatement of the title my teammates and I earned through our blood, sweat and tears.

It took months of hard work, dedication and personal sacrifice by a team of over 100 players, 10 coaches and countless staff members to achieve that championship, but, evidently, it only takes the handful of pencil pushers, lawyers and professors on your infractions committee to strip us of it.

I was a part of the 2009 ACC Championship team and, while you can pretend retroactively that it didn't happen, I have vivid memories of an incredible season that was, and continues to be, one of the most fun, meaningful, important, and very real times in my 23 years on this planet. I'll be wearing my championship ring with pride and if you want that too, you'll have to pry it from my cold, dead finger.

Sincerely,

Sean Bedford

Sean Bedford,

You win, lose, and cheat as a team. When one of your fellow teammates screws up, the totality of the team is punished so that said violations don't happen again. Football is a team sport, and as such, the whole team suffers when the rules get broken. Simple as that.

Congrats on winning the ACC in 2009. However, let the record show that the two participants that played for the 2009 ACC Championship both lost to middle-of-the-road SEC teams the week previous. Your team just happened to suck the least out of the 12 schools in your school's conference.

If you're going to break rules and attempt to cheat, do so with players/coaches that will get better results than a 1-2 record before your wins get vacated.

Signed,

A Georgia fan and alum

----

Dear NCAA,

Sincerely,

Sean Bedford

Sean Bradford,

Congratulations on not cheating. You know that you did things the right way and that you are personally not responsible for your teams sanctions. That being said, the reason your team is being punished for something you didn't do is because it's difficult to punish someone who has already graduated. Listen, I know that you're upset, and i can understand why. It doesn't seem fair that you should be for the acts of others. But if the NCAA took that stand, then USC would've gotten away with Reggie Bush getting a house. SMU would have gotten away with their scandal. More teams would be able to cheat because they would know that the NCAA couldn't punish players for things they didn't do. The NCAA isn't punishing you. It's punishing the university. You just happen to unfortunately play for Georgia Tech. Life isn't fair. Get over it.

Wow, Will Lyles just destroyed Joey Harrington.

Today I heard Joey Harrington say I got paid for my yahoo article. That didn't happen. I also heard that he had a great NFL career. Really

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So...I think my avatar has become a Madden cover...

everytime I put a UGA tailback in my avatar something happens.

Washaun Ealey--dismissed

Caleb King--ineligible for senior season

Carlton Thomas--suspended 1-2 games for violating team rules

shoot.....

If I put a picture of Marcus Lattimore in my avatar and cross my fingers, nobody can judge me.

My friends Facebook status earlier was: "Just saw Mark Richt at Starbucks earlier. I tried to start a conversation with him, but he was too busy posting a 'vacant tailback' ad on Craigslist"

So...I think my avatar has become a Madden cover...

everytime I put a UGA tailback in my avatar something happens.

Washaun Ealey--dismissed

Caleb King--ineligible for senior season

Carlton Thomas--suspended 1-2 games for violating team rules

shoot.....

If I put a picture of Marcus Lattimore in my avatar and cross my fingers, nobody can judge me.

My friends Facebook status earlier was: "Just saw Mark Richt at Starbucks earlier. I tried to start a conversation with him, but he was too busy posting a 'vacant tailback' ad on Craigslist"

I wouldn't be complaining if I had to settle for Isaiah Crowell taking the starting job.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived