2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Your talking about a fixed level of talent here. You can spend as much or as little money as you want to. The total amount of talent that comes for this year's class will remain exactly the same. I don't care if $5 is spent on getting the number one prospect to commit to a school or $500,000. He's the same player no matter what. If the argument is that teams should be spending $500,000 to recruit this guy because that's what the open market, then your not an amateur sport your a pro sport that doesen't pay its atheltes. If not then tell me how open market systems become a part of what is supposed to be a not for profit league? If I'm not mistaken open markets are driven almost entirely by profit motives. I can't see how an argument can be made here denying that without it also contradicting itself at some point.

But again everyone has to agree to do it. I highly doubt that will happen without the government coming in and basically forcing colleges to agree to this. Conferences like the SEC, Big Ten and PAC-12 will fight this tooth and nail.

*You're

And I disagree. there are some recruits, prima donnas or others like work out freaks, who choose a school based on facilities. Have a less lavish locker room, lose a recruit. Weight room and S&C staff aren't as good as the player would like, lose a recruit.

Spending all that money doesn't mean you'll land every 4/5-star you want but it doesn't hurt and it does help. You can't tell me that a player deciding between SMU or some other mid major that you wouldn't enjoy their new locker room.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over Rated

Ohio St.

Arkansas

Georgia

TCU

Notre Dame

Under Rated

Wisconsin

South Carolina

Michigan St.

Texas A&M

San Diego St.

Also posted my predictions for all 120 teams in the Predictions Thread

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Your talking about a fixed level of talent here. You can spend as much or as little money as you want to. The total amount of talent that comes for this year's class will remain exactly the same. I don't care if $5 is spent on getting the number one prospect to commit to a school or $500,000. He's the same player no matter what. If the argument is that teams should be spending $500,000 to recruit this guy because that's what the open market, then your not an amateur sport your a pro sport that doesen't pay its atheltes. If not then tell me how open market systems become a part of what is supposed to be a not for profit league? If I'm not mistaken open markets are driven almost entirely by profit motives. I can't see how an argument can be made here denying that without it also contradicting itself at some point.

But again everyone has to agree to do it. I highly doubt that will happen without the government coming in and basically forcing colleges to agree to this. Conferences like the SEC, Big Ten and PAC-12 will fight this tooth and nail.

*You're

And I disagree. there are some recruits, prima donnas or others like work out freaks, who choose a school based on facilities. Have a less lavish locker room, lose a recruit. Weight room and S&C staff aren't as good as the player would like, lose a recruit.

Spending all that money doesn't mean you'll land every 4/5-star you want but it doesn't hurt and it does help. You can't tell me that a player deciding between SMU or some other mid major that you wouldn't enjoy their new locker room.

I don't think you really understand what I'm saying because your talking in terms of one school versus another. I'm saying putting a cap on what every school is allowed to spend to reduce that.

Didn't see this posted. Apparently, 22 LSU players went out after room check-ins and not only went into a bar, but then proceeded to get involved in a brawl.

?I can tell you that the last couple of days have been miserable for us, that we?ve been involved in behavior that?s unacceptable to me, certainly unacceptable to our team?guys that broke team rules and violated curfew,? Miles said. ?I can tell you and assure you that this will not happen again. I can tell you that there?s a remorseful team here.

?I personally want to apologize for the actions of my team.?

Jordan Jefferson was also involved and while he's been named the team's starter, many fans, along with the media, believe he's the x-factor on whether the Tigers do well this season or not. Besides, that many fans have shown support for juco transfer Zach Mettenberger. Whatever happened Friday morning, it's not going to help Jefferson's case.

I'm interested to see who, if any, are suspended for game against Oregon. If charges are pressed, I would think Miles has no choice but to suspend players, otherwise he looks like a complete hypocrite.

Oh please press charges. I want to see the Fulmer Cup come down to the wire after all.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Didn't see this posted. Apparently, 22 LSU players went out after room check-ins and not only went into a bar, but then proceeded to get involved in a brawl.

?I can tell you that the last couple of days have been miserable for us, that we?ve been involved in behavior that?s unacceptable to me, certainly unacceptable to our team?guys that broke team rules and violated curfew,? Miles said. ?I can tell you and assure you that this will not happen again. I can tell you that there?s a remorseful team here.

?I personally want to apologize for the actions of my team.?

Jordan Jefferson was also involved and while he's been named the team's starter, many fans, along with the media, believe he's the x-factor on whether the Tigers do well this season or not. Besides, that many fans have shown support for juco transfer Zach Mettenberger. Whatever happened Friday morning, it's not going to help Jefferson's case.

I'm interested to see who, if any, are suspended for game against Oregon. If charges are pressed, I would think Miles has no choice but to suspend players, otherwise he looks like a complete hypocrite.

There's drinking and brawling and Mettenburger wasn't one of the 22 involved? Shocking.

Oh please press charges. I want to see the Fulmer Cup come down to the wire after all.

It's like they saw the standings & said "Well hell, if Les Miles could pull 11 wins out of his magic hat last season, we can steal this damn Cup from right under Auburn's nose. CHINESE BANDITS, SON!"

From someone who's considered pretty well connected.

@Walls98

Patrick Walls

Just heard from a very reliable source. Yahoo working on Auburn and connection has been found

I wonder if the connection is the same which oddsmaker Danny Sheridan says he has but did not mention when Sheridan was on air (with his attorney) on Finebaum last week. Sheridan said he had the name of "the bagman" in the Newton incident but did not name the person.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205246191

YES! I've been on the fence on this decision for a long time, but I think this is the best answer for Appalachian State University. The school as a whole is trying to raise it's profile and as long as the school can find a conference willing to take it in, I think this is a great move. Also, the way the press release was worded, this won't be a major failure if they can't find a conference right away. I'm very excited about the possibilities this could bring. I know many scoff at sports raising the academic profile of a school, but I think it could happen. Plus, anything that raises the profile of my degree is a positive IMO.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=205246191

YES! I've been on the fence on this decision for a long time, but I think this is the best answer for Appalachian State University. The school as a whole is trying to raise it's profile and as long as the school can find a conference willing to take it in, I think this is a great move. Also, the way the press release was worded, this won't be a major failure if they can't find a conference right away. I'm very excited about the possibilities this could bring. I know many scoff at sports raising the academic profile of a school, but I think it could happen. Plus, anything that raises the profile of my degree is a positive IMO.

It should be said that high upon a mountain above the rest, there's a university that's going places.

LvZYtbZ.png

So anyway SEC fans, I have acquired a ticket to the Arkansas-Missouri State body bag game at the start of the year. What expectations should I have about the atmosphere here? Will the crowd grow restless if Arkansas is not up by 6 touchdowns by halftime?

Today, we are all otaku.

What crowd? Not knocking Arkansas but as you said it's a body bag game.

As far as App State. I think they should push hard for C-USA if they lose a member soon. I'm pretty sure App State could go into the Sun Belt right now and be at least middle of the pack. And that's with out 85 schollies. Throw some end zone seats in or maybe look into making it a horse shoe stadium and they're ya go.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Arkansas's rather tame compared to other venues in the SEC.

Based on what I have seen in Fayetteville, should I be frightened at this concept?

Today, we are all otaku.

As far as App State. I think they should push hard for C-USA if they lose a member soon. I'm pretty sure App State could go into the Sun Belt right now and be at least middle of the pack. And that's with out 85 schollies. Throw some end zone seats in or maybe look into making it a horse shoe stadium and they're ya go.

I agree, the C-USA looks most likely. Perfect from a location point of view. I think Marshall and ECU could turn into potential rivalries. I think App State could be a solid competitor in 2 or 3 years in the C-USA. Seems like the perfect fit.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived