2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Probably because, in this instance, Oregon was playing a SEC team. So the SEC comparison is relevant.

Yeah, they were playing an SEC team... not the whole SEC (no matter what your average, run-of-the-mill SEC homer would have you believe).

Also, it's fun to point it out to Oregon fans. Given that Oregon hypes themselves up as yet-to-be-crowned champions, yet they haven't beaten a team from the conference that's produced every National Champion since 2007.

And they haven't beaten Boise State. And Boise State has indeed beaten a ranked SEC team. Just putting that out there, Duck fans. B)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oregon would be maybe the fourth best team in the SEC. Until Oregon finds a way to be both bigger and faster, teams like LSU, Florida and Alabama, are going to run circles around the Ducks. It's just the way it is.

You're probably right, but how come nobody seems to be able to talk about any non-SEC college football team without speculating on where they'd place in the SEC? There are other conferences besides the SEC, you know.

In my case, I used the comparison because we were talking LSU - Oregon. But to answer your question, whether we like it or not, the top 1 or 2 teams in college football usually reside in the SEC. So when we're talking about how good a team is, the question always comes up; how would they fare against (insert top two SEC teams here) I realize there are other conferences but when we're measuring the relative merit of a non-SEC team, the SEC is going to be part of the discussion. While I'd argue against the SEC being the best conference top to bottom, there's no denying that their top 2 or 3 teams are usually the top teams in the country.

I'm an Ohio State fan. Believe me, no one is as tired of being compared to the SEC as I am.

BB52Big.jpg

Oregon would be maybe the fourth best team in the SEC. Until Oregon finds a way to be both bigger and faster, teams like LSU, Florida and Alabama, are going to run circles around the Ducks. It's just the way it is.

You're probably right, but how come nobody seems to be able to talk about any non-SEC college football team without speculating on where they'd place in the SEC? There are other conferences besides the SEC, you know.

Because it was relevant to the conversation. I think they would be more the 3rd best team in the SEC, behind LSU and Alabama. I think it would depend who they got at home. The Oregon at home is different form the Oregon on the road. Oregon at home is potentially the best team in the country. The Oregon on the road is maybe a top 15 team, maybe. And I really don't want to give excuses for over zealous Duck fans, but we're not used to having any sort of hype at all. So when we do have hype, the fans tend to take it to the extreme. As we get more experience with being ranked towards the top, we'll learn how to handle (I hope).

And Lights Out, we beat Tennessee on the road last year.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Tennessee wasn't ranked. Plus Oregon had to come back to beat them.

1. We came back to beat them by 35, and 2. You're point was that we hadn't beaten an SEC team, and we did. Plus, if you really want to talk about ranking what's Georgia ranked right now?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

1. We came back to beat them by 35, and 2. You're point was that we hadn't beaten an SEC team, and we did. Plus, if you really want to talk about ranking what's Georgia ranked right now?

You haven't beaten a ranked SEC team. When Boise State beat Georgia, Georgia was ranked.

You're point was that we hadn't beaten an SEC team, and we did.

And Boise State has indeed beaten a ranked SEC team.

Plus, if you really want to talk about ranking what's Georgia ranked right now?

Irrelevant... they were ranked when Boise beat them.

Woops, didn't see the ranked part. Still, if Georgia ends up being 6-6, are you still going to claim that? It was the first game of the season. The rankings mean nothing until about week 5. At the moment, if Georgia ends up being average, I'd say the wins are the same.

You're point was that we hadn't beaten an SEC team, and we did.

And Boise State has indeed beaten a ranked SEC team.

Plus, if you really want to talk about ranking what's Georgia ranked right now?

Irrelevant... they were ranked when Boise beat them.

Woops, didn't see the ranked part. Still, if Georgia ends up being 6-6, are you still going to claim that? It was the first game of the season. The rankings mean nothing until about week 5. At the moment, if Georgia ends up being average, I'd say the wins are the same.

You "whoops" a lot.

If you read your previews as you claim, you would realize that Georgia avoids Alabama, LSU, or Arkansas this season so it is easier for them to be better than 6-6.

Georgia played a superior Boise St. team and a South Carolina team that many were predicting to represent the SEC East again in the SECCG. I could see Georgia still going 9-3 or 8-4.

And I wouldn't brag about beating last year's Tennessee team..

I certainly don't think this comes across as a homer comment, but I think it is pretty simple why: you compare everything in life to the best that you know of.

How good can Honda come close to Lexus or Mercedes?

Can LJ ever be the player MJ was?

...kind of like how all smartphones are compared to the iPhone, whether you are an Apple fanboy or not.

Like someone else said, it is no fun to speculate where Alabama would finish in the Mountain West.

Georgia played a superior Boise St. team and a South Carolina team that many were predicting to represent the SEC East again in the SECCG. I could see Georgia still going 9-3 or 8-4.

And I wouldn't brag about beating last year's Tennessee team..

Absolutely. With the way Crowell is developing this early and the stable play of Murray, Georgia still has a chance at a great season. Unfortunately, even an 8-4 season isn't "great" enough to the standards of their fans who give Richt hell (which bugs me).

The only guaranteed wins Georgia has on their schedule are NM State and Kentucky. They could very well go 4-8 this year. Plus, i think Richt (fair or not) might get the boot before the season ends.

The only guaranteed wins Georgia has on their schedule are NM State and Kentucky. They could very well go 4-8 this year. Plus, i think Richt (fair or not) might get the boot before the season ends.

Apparently you did not see that Vandy beat Mississippi 30-7 and held the Rebels to under 250 total yards, did you? A 3-0 Vandy is nice, but they cannot and will not win any of their next three games: @SoCar, @Alabama, UGa

Mississippi is a mess and cannot beat UGa. Nutt will be out after the season

Apparently you did not see that Vandy beat Mississippi 30-7 and held the Rebels to under 250 total yards, did you? A 3-0 Vandy is nice, but they cannot and will not win any of their next three games: @SoCar, @Alabama, UGa

Yes, but they have Miss State next week. Looking ahead maybe? I don't think it's likely they'll go 4-8, just possible that they will. Even with a win over them, there is a good chance at going 5-7, 6-6. That's not an impressive win for Boise.

Yes, but they have Miss State next week. Looking ahead maybe? I don't think it's likely they'll go 4-8, just possible that they will. Even with a win over them, there is a good chance at going 5-7, 6-6. That's not an impressive win for Boise.

I think Georgia will lose 2 of these 3; Miss State, Florida, and Auburn, and end up 8-4. That's good for Boise. An 8-4 SEC team is a decent team.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I think Georgia will lose 2 of these 3; Miss State, Florida, and Auburn, and end up 8-4. That's good for Boise. An 8-4 SEC team is a decent team.

I guess the rest is just opinion. I think it'll depend on whether or not Crowell's development was a result of him maturing quickly, or a bad South Carolina defense.

Georgia was leading Boise State 7-0 at one point. Just throwing it out there....

Absolutely. With the way Crowell is developing this early and the stable play of Murray, Georgia still has a chance at a great season. Unfortunately, even an 8-4 season isn't "great" enough to the standards of their fans who give Richt hell (which bugs me).

8-4 is a subpar record with the recruits Georgia consistently gets. How is it that every other school that finishes in the top-10 of the various recruiting rankings is able to get 10+ wins and conference/national championships but Georgia can't? The coaching staff has become stale and predictable. They aren't getting the most out of their players like other schools do.

Georgia should never....ever....be losing to programs such as Colorado, Mississippi State, Central Florida, Boise State, and South Carolina with the talent they have. They especially shouldn't be losing to these programs in the state of Georgia or in neutral-site games.

Georgia certainly has the resources to be with the likes of Texas, Florida, Alabama, and LSU. For some reason, Richt doesn't want to take that step. He's a nice guy and a good-standing Christian and all, but that good-guy crap won't work for long in the SEC.

It's a decent record, but considering that Boise State needs just about everything to go right for them in order to be in the top-2 in the final BCS standings, they absolutely need Georgia to be no worse than 10-2 (they really need UGA to be 11-1) and winning the SEC Championship. Every Georgia loss discredits BSU's win over a quality opponent more and more.

Boise State needs their conference-mates to win a huge majority of their non-conference games (especially against those in the BCS conferences), and furthermore, BSU needs their non-conference opponents to basically win all their games.

8-4 is a subpar record with the recruits Georgia consistently gets. How is it that every other school that finishes in the top-10 of the various recruiting rankings is able to get 10+ wins and conference/national championships but Georgia can't? The coaching staff has become stale and predictable. They aren't getting the most out of their players like other schools do.

Notre Dame?

Archived