THOSE MARYLAND UNIFORMS

dbackdiehard17

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem to be moving further and further away from using green and yellow.

Which is completely ridiculous. As has been repeatedly stated before, not having an identity is not an identity in itself.

Identity: the fact of being who or what a person or thing is. Can you really say that Oregon's uniforms don't fit that definition? Their "identity" (what they are) is using a gazillion different uniforms. I wear different clothes every day. Does that mean I don't have an identity? If you ask anyone who follows college football even a little bit which team is known for wearing a gazillion different crazy uniforms, they'll all say Oregon. That, young Wildcat, is an identity in my book.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see it as an identity, I see it as attention whoring.

Which is completely ridiculous. As has been repeatedly stated before, not having an identity is not an identity in itself.

Identity: the fact of being who or what a person or thing is. Can you really say that Oregon's uniforms don't fit that definition? Their "identity" (what they are) is using a gazillion different uniforms. I wear different clothes every day. Does that mean I don't have an identity? If you ask anyone who follows college football even a little bit which team is known for wearing a gazillion different crazy uniforms, they'll all say Oregon. That, young Wildcat, is an identity in my book.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. I don't see it as an identity, I see it as attention whoring.

Well, that attention has increased their application pool by 100%. I just checked with my college consular. Nike is getting Oregon attention that it hasn't ever come close to receiving. Sorry, I was just looking at colleges today and found it interesting ^_^

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I too don't see any way in which it's not an identity. Does it not meet all of the criteria laid out in this wikipedia (yeah, I know) definition of Brand Identity?

Brand Identity: The outward expression of a brand, including its name, trademark, communications, and visual appearance.[8] Because the identity is assembled by the brand owner, it reflects how the owner wants the consumer to perceive the brand - and by extension the branded company, organization, product or service. This is in contrast to the brand image, which is a customer's mental picture of a brand.[8] The brand owner will seek to bridge the gap between the brand image and the brand identity.Effective brand names build a connection between the brand personality as it is perceived by the target audience and the actual product/service. The brand name should be conceptually on target with the product/service (what the company stands for). Furthermore, the brand name should be on target with the brand demographic.[9] Typically, sustainable brand names are easy to remember, transcend trends and have positive connotations. Brand identity is fundamental to consumer recognition and symbolizes the brand's differentiation from competitors.

Brand identity is what the owner wants to communicate to its potential consumers. However, over time, a product's brand identity may acquire (evolve), gaining new attributes from consumer perspective but not necessarily from the marketing communications an owner percolates to targeted consumers. Therefore, brand associations become handy to check the consumer's perception of the brand.[10]

Brand identity needs to focus on authentic qualities - real characteristics of the value and brand promise being provided and sustained by organizational and/or production characteristics.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Fair enough.

BB52Big.jpg

I opened a Maryland thread and walked into an Oregon argument

I propose a corollary to Godwin's Law.

As an online discussion regarding college football uniforms grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Oregon approaches 1 (100%).

Popularity doesn't automatically make something good. Look at American Idol.

And as expected, Paul Lukas -who-really-cares/'>tore Under Armour's ridiculous hype machine to shreds. Regardless of your opinions on the uniforms themselves, he's got a very good point.

Yeah, more people worldwide watch Eurovision... which is better! :P

Did UnderArmour rip off the Maryland helmet concept from a Baltimore roller derby club?

As pointed out by the Baltimore Sun, there are striking similarities between the helmets worn by the Terrapins last night and the helmets worn by? wait for it? the Charm City Roller Girls? All-Stars team. According to the team?s captain Hillary Rosensteel ? whose roller nickname is ?Rosie the Rioter?, incidentally ? the helmets are ?not identical, but they?re shockingly similar.?

MD_helmets.jpg

Pretty sure you can't trademark a design that's your own state flag. Just sayin'.

"The Charm City Roller Girls called. They want their helmet design back."

Anyhoo, I thought the Terps "Maryland State flag" uniforms were the ugliest uniforms to ever see a college football field.

Funny. If you wanna get technical, it'd be "The State of Maryland called. They want their flag design back." See above for further explanation.

I opened a Maryland thread and walked into an Oregon argument

I propose a corollary to Godwin's Law.

As an online discussion regarding college football uniforms grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Oregon approaches 1 (100%).

As long as you're in the conversation. It started with you baiting the Oregon jersey lovers into an argument with 20 posts about "at least they wear school colors." I've honestly gotta wonder if it's over half of your posts on this forum that include the phrases "school colors," "Oregon," "Scum Devils," or "Arizona State."

6fQjS3M.png

I'm about as "old school" and "traditional" as it gets around here, and even I think those uniforms are boring. No offense.

I love the color combo, how do these float your boat?

Ducks_NPCwH_H_1.jpgDucks_NPCwH_H_2.jpg

Not a fan of either one. After seeing Oregon in so many unusual looks for so long, I hope they never go back to Yellow and Green only. However, you did an outstanding job for the concept.

spacer.png

I'm about as "old school" and "traditional" as it gets around here, and even I think those uniforms are boring. No offense.

why doesn't ANYBODY using this template change the glove trim color or get rid of the Horned Frog on the heel?

why doesn't ANYBODY using this template change the glove trim color or get rid of the Horned Frog on the heel?

why doesn't ANYBODY using this template make the logo actually appear to fit the curve of the helmet?

I'm usually not someone who embraces a radical, apparel manufacturer-driven reworking of a university's football uniforms. Far too often, such redesigns are "change for the sake of change".

That said, if Under Armour were to swap the left and right shoulder yoke inserts/sleeve caps on these white University of Maryland alternate uniforms, I'd advocate the Terrapins switching to them as their full-time home uniforms. The way the combination of the helmet and shoulder yoke design elements would invoke the Maryland state flag would be both unique and striking.

I think it's possible that the graphics were kept consistent from helmet to jersey (unlike the actual flag) to make it easier for the QB to spot receivers. A QB glancing up quickly downfield will easily know the inside/outside shoulders of the receiver, instead of having to decide if it was the helmet or jersey he saw first.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Am I the only one wondering what in the world is going on with Spleenator's avatar?

It's a My Little Pony Friendship is Magic reference. She say "A ROCK?" because her horn dragged her to... you know what, just watch the show. If you haven't seen it you won't get it.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Am I the only one wondering what in the world is going on with Spleenator's avatar?

It's a My Little Pony Friendship is Magic reference. She say "A ROCK?" because her horn dragged her to... you know what, just watch the show. If you haven't seen it you won't get it.

And you watch this show because.....

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

And you watch this show because.....

It' awesome. I'm a brony and proud of it. I could explain it better, but I don't think you'd be interested.

Archived