THOSE MARYLAND UNIFORMS

dbackdiehard17

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Does everything really to have the UnderArmour logo plastered all over it? We get it. Kevin Plank is a UM alumnus. Enough already!

That's not an Under Armour thing. That's a corporate thing. Nike puts the swoosh all over things and football uniforms are just about the only thing that you won't see the Adidas three stripes on.

Since this is the official Maryland thread, let me just say I love these crazy things. They have a "warpaint" kind of feel to them. Symmetry is not always necessary.

I can see the "warpiant" look, but they are the Terps....not some sort of warrior. If the helmet had one side fading into the other, to me that would've been a better look. This uniform has "1990's" screaming all over it. It was as if Maryland and UA all sat around and said, "Hey, remember when MLB did that Turn Ahead the Clock gimmic? Let's make our uniform look like one of those jerseys."

Fair enough point. I wasn't associating "warpaint" with any type of warrior mascot, but was thinking more along the lines of the "battle" aspect attributed to football (and not in a sense that compares to real war, because I know some people get annoyed with that comparison).

And one other note:

The cleats are the worst part.

I do agree, the cleats are a bit of overkill.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

A quick Photoshop flip of the helmets...taken from mr.baseball's screen shots..thanks.

MDHelmetflip.png

The haters are still gonna hate...but it does look a better IMHO.

Now that would make this an amazing set. Nice work.

I'm not totally against this idea. Every school is looking for that distinctive look (for good and bad, bad press is better than no press at all) - Oregon with the wings, all the *insert color here* outs, The U w/ the U all over the place, Alabama and Penn State w/ their simplicity, and now UMD with their flag uniforms. I bet they sell a ton of stuff with the flag theme over the course of the season now.

Love the concept. Double outlined numerals are too much with all else going on though. Simplify the numeral outlines and this is pretty amazing.

it's called WINNING.

A team has to be able to win on the big stage to claim that.

Boise 2008 - Choke

Boise 2009 - Choke

Ohio State 2010 - Choke

Auburn 2011 - Choke

LSU 2011 - Choke

I would make a comment about clownsuits, but in both of the Boise games and the Rose Bowl their uniforms were just fine, with the exception of wearing black pants in the first Boise game.

Besides, there's no correlation between crazyass uniforms and winning anyway. Alabama, Texas, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan... I can keep going.

at least we've been on the big stage ;)

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Double outlined numerals are too much with all else going on though. Simplify the numeral outlines and this is pretty amazing.

So with all the craziness on the shoulders and helmet it's the numbers that are too busy for you? =)

Heh, that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't able to think of a good way to write it out.

I talked with Vernon Davis (Maryland alum) today about the new uniforms and he said he liked it because it shows off the Maryland flag... but he did say that the uniform was just too busy.

That's my problem with them. They easily could have incorporated the flag design while making it more subdued. As they were last night, they were an assault upon everyone's eyes.

A quick Photoshop flip of the helmets...taken from mr.baseball's screen shots..thanks.

MDHelmetflip.png

Many people are talking about how they shoulda switch the shoulder patterns to better mimic the flag so I mocked that up:

Terrapins_NPCwH_H_1.jpg

Thanks for these, guys. As I was watching I wondered if it might work better switched like this. I'm as big a critic of stupid crap new uniforms as any (I'm looking in your direction, Oregon!), but I actually like this. Either with the reversed sides on the jersey or just the helmets without the flag elements on the jersey at all. The helmets are great.

And on a slightly related topic, I kind of liked the helmets Georgia wore against Boise State only if the massive red stripe was a normal size. The G logo really popped against the silver.

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Many people are talking about how they shoulda switch the shoulder patterns to better mimic the flag so I mocked that up:

Terrapins_NPCwH_H_1.jpg

Either way I think they're pretty hideous, but at least players wont look like they're from two different teams.

390833997.png

Thanks for the mock up. :)

Now that I've seen it, I can see why UA went with the "Two Face" look over the more accurate alternative shown here. I think it looks more coordinated to have a Calvert side and a Crossland side than to alternate, even if that's what the actual flag does. The "Two Face" version still clearly affiliates the team with the state flag and colors, and I think switching the shoulder panels ends up sacrificing cohesion for accuracy's sake, when that level of accuracy isn't really required.

I do agree, though, that it's kinda trippy to see such a completely asymmetric design on a uni/helmet combo.

this makes so much more sense then what they ended up with. I can't say that I love it, but its better.

Can they honor the state flag without looking completely ridiculous? I always thought their early 2000's basketball jerseys were the coolest in the league. The yellow checkers obviously resembled the state flag.

This just reminds me of this:

p1_laura.jpg

Regardless what you think about Oregon, I think Nike's Oregon jerseys don't resemble this one bit. Oregon has had some pretty crazy ideas, but splitting a helmet in half with two blatantly different designs is not one of them. I've never seen Oregon use clashing left/right shoulder designs.

And finally, this is a place to discuss uniforms. I know most people will have a bias toward uniforms you've seen your team do well in, but winning/losing in a uniform has nothing to do with how well it looks.

(I admittedly say that after cheering for Oregon to lose the championship because I didn't like the green cleats)

I've never seen Oregon use clashing left/right shoulder designs.

Yeah, but it's something Nike's done with other teams.

u_leak_412.jpg

Meriweather-lg.jpg

Apparently they wanted to do it with Oregon but (shockingly enough) it was vetoed.

2006_concept_sketches.jpg

I've never seen Oregon use clashing left/right shoulder designs.

Yeah, but it's something Nike's done with other teams.

u_leak_412.jpg

Meriweather-lg.jpg

Apparently they wanted to do it with Oregon but (shockingly enough) it was vetoed.

2006_concept_sketches.jpg

Well I stand corrected on not stating that Nike has done something like this before.

But these cases are also bad, but less drastic. I was just talking about Oregon, but I'd like to see something as over-the-top as this from Nike.

Edit: and when I first saw these photos, I honestly thought it was an inter-squad scrimmage. Did anyone else think that?

Oregon also originally was against the carbon helmets, which we were supposed to were back in 2007-2008. The pattern was much harsher and bold originally, but Oregon said it would be too distracting. They finally allowed them to use it in the PSU game, a game where they couldn't lose, thus making the fans angry that we wore them, and when we won 69-0, they kept them.

The more you know.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

But these cases are also bad, but less drastic. I was just talking about Oregon, but I'd like to see something as over-the-top as this from Nike.

No, please don't give them any ideas.

You do see something as over-the-top as this every week Nikegon plays.

Well, that's you opinion, but I think the majority would agree that these are far more "crazy" than what Oregon currently wears. I'm not saying Oregon has never worn anything this crazy, but in general, colors aside, they have been pretty conservative with their designs. Most of their new uniforms have just been recolors of their recent set.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived