2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

Fab Melo's out for the NCAA Tournament with another eligibility issue...

So much for the Syracuse going all the way pick.

Hello Kentucky bucking the trend of number one overall seeds not winning the National Title.

Also that UNC-Asheville upset pick is looking like a very realistic possibility because UNC-Asheville is a really good team and now Syracuse is without their best player.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the awful 2008 Georgia Bulldogs team that went on a miracle run to win the SEC Tournament had a losing record.

Their reward as a 14 seed, probably the lowest a major conference team can ever get.

EDIT - Thanks to their tourney run, they finished 18-16 going into the NCAA. They were 14-16 entering the SEC Tournament.

spacer.png

The Madness begins with Western Ky. finishing on a 23-6 run to steal the opening game from Mississippi Valley State.

Has a losing team EVER won a game in the NCAA tournament?

It's happened a couple times before, but always in the Play-in game. It's never happened in the tournament proper.

LvZYtbZ.png

Fab Melo's out for the NCAA Tournament with another eligibility issue...

So much for the Syracuse going all the way pick.

Hello Kentucky bucking the trend of number one overall seeds not winning the National Title.

Also that UNC-Asheville upset pick is looking like a very realistic possibility because UNC-Asheville is a really good team and now Syracuse is without their best player.

Fab Melo isn't Syracuse's best player, but is a critical component of their offense. They still went something like 3-1 without him, including a win at Cincinnati.

I think they can handle rounds 1 and 2 no problem, but it my money bracket, I have them going out to a good-shooting Vanderbilt team.

Bummer. They lost their starting center the last time they were a 1 seed (2010) and this time they have a worse backup. The rest of the team is better though.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

In advance, can I please request that we not mention the NIT (or CBI for that matter) unless something incredibly noteworthy occurs, like a bench clearing brawl or an on-court death. Thanks!

6uXNWAo.png

Holy cow. In two years the concept of the First Four has gone from skepticism to "great idea" (both games this year and VCU considered).

I would get rid of it in a second if I could.

Like I said earlier I would be in favor of going to 96 only if any team winning the regular season conference title got an automatic bid, but that was not going to happen so I was and still am and against it.

The 68 team idea I don't like at all. It was an obvious compromise decision and now we have messed up brackets every year in part because the inmates have taken over the asylum although thankfully not to the extent they have in college football at least for now.

In advance, can I please request that we not mention the NIT (or CBI for that matter) unless something incredibly noteworthy occurs, like a bench clearing brawl or an on-court death. Thanks!

How about the mere presence of PITTSBURGH in the CBI? ^_^

Wow, I wouldn't think a program like Pitt would actually play in the CBI.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Hey Hey nothing can be finer than being #69

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yup. I'd rather be Iona or Jerry Rice U. tonight than whoever eventually wins the "Not In Tournament".

6uXNWAo.png

Yup. I'd rather be Iona or Jerry Rice U. tonight than whoever eventually wins the "Not In Tournament".

At one time the NIT was a big deal, but back than there were no at large teams, and the NCAA Tournament only had like 20 teams. I think since the NCAA went to 64 the NIT serves no purpose.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Philosophically, I agree, but it would sure be hard being Iona or MVSU today...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived