new 2011-12 college basketball uniforms

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baylorbball.jpg

Awwww, how cute. AdiNike uniforms. So Nike starts the trend and Adidas blindly follows. I wonder if Adidas will try to find a way to copy the Jordan logo next.

Surely you're not inferring that Nike invented or somehow 'owns' neon yellow. adidas has used this color on shoes and clothing for years as well. It just took them longer to get a school to 'say yes' if you will.

adidas-SL-72-1.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Regardless of whether it's Nike or Adidas using it, it looks like crap on uniforms. They're uniforms, not Open signs.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Baylorbball.jpg

Awwww, how cute. AdiNike uniforms. So Nike starts the trend and Adidas blindly follows. I wonder if Adidas will try to find a way to copy the Jordan logo next.

Surely you're not inferring that Nike invented or somehow 'owns' neon yellow. adidas has used this color on shoes and clothing for years as well. It just took them longer to get a school to 'say yes' if you will.

`

Yet these uniforms ironically come out after Oregon's success? I doubt that is just a coincidence. Adidas is still following Nike's lead instead of creating their own successful trend. That is what I meant.

I really hate adidas. They lack creativity

I know, right?

(Image of a s#!tload of grey Nike uniforms)

While I don't like that, it was a one-off thing by Nike. adidas fits huge brand name schools in the same template for regular daily use.

That's not a lack of creativity per se. It's business. Unique basketball uniforms cost money to develop and produce. Much less expensive to use the same or similar look in different colors and switch it up every couple seasons. Not great from our perspective, but the objective is making money, not impressing people like us.

Are these using the same side stripe as their regular template? Adidas is so boring, they just recolor unis ( and throw tiger stripes on the entire canvas of the shorts) These are awful and Adidas is floundering in mediocrity.

Again, they are making money at a pretty nice clip (not mediocre at all). I'm sure wowing you with their creativity is very low on their list of business priorities.

Damn, can adidas ever do anything original.

Nike did this years ago:

(Image of a Hawaiian-themed shoe)

So? adidas did the Hawaiian theme differently. Further, a hibiscus flower pattern isn't exactly the most original design element for Hawaii now, is it? That's about as stereotypical and low-brow as it gets.

I like what Adidas has been doing with their basketball shoes lately. The 3 stripes wrapping around the back looks pretty good. And it's actually original, and manages to use the 3 stripes in a unique way.

+1. I feel like one place where Adidas does decently well is their shoes.

And that is exactly what adidas wants in the end.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Baylorbball.jpg

`

Yet these uniforms ironically come out after Oregon's success? I doubt that is just a coincidence. Adidas is still following Nike's lead instead of creating their own successful trend. That is what I meant.

Because of a color? There's plenty of original design in this, even beyond the technical stuff. Nike hasn't done different-colored shorts and jerseys. They haven't done tiger stripe camo. This is just a stupid argument to have. Nike was just following soccer, American Apparel and every other urban clothing brand when they did neon yellow a few years ago.

Baylorbball.jpg

`

Because of a color? There's plenty of original design in this, even beyond the technical stuff. Nike hasn't done different-colored shorts and jerseys. They haven't done tiger stripe camo. This is just a stupid argument to have. Nike was just following soccer, American Apparel and every other urban clothing brand when they did neon yellow a few years ago.

Stupid argument? LMAO! So you're going on record and saying this uniform WILL NOT be compared to Oregon in other media outlets?

EDIT: Too late. Yard Barker via Foxsports.com "Not surprisingly the Oregon Ducks led the way."

Though you may think the comparison is "stupid", but that comparison is already being made and will continue to do so in the following days.

Baylorbball.jpg

`

Stupid argument? LMAO! So you're going on record and saying this uniform WILL NOT be compared to Oregon in other media outlets?

EDIT: Too late. Yard Barker via Foxsports.com "Not surprisingly the Oregon Ducks led the way."

Though you may think the comparison is "stupid", but that comparison is already being made and will continue to do so in the following days.

I'm sorry my world does not revolve around big media, and for not basing my philosophical platform on what it says, accordingly. Nowhere did I assert that it wouldn't be covered in the media as if it were influenced by Oregon and Nike. I simply don't think it should be viewed as such, because it wasn't an original idea when Nike did it, and it's not an original idea now.

Baylorbball.jpg

`

I'm sorry my world does not revolve around big media, and for not basing my philosophical platform on what it says, accordingly. Nowhere did I assert that it wouldn't be covered in the media as if it were influenced by Oregon and Nike. I simply don't think it should be viewed as such, because it wasn't an original idea when Nike did it, and it's not an original idea now.

I completely respect that you don't think it should be viewed that way, but in reality, it is. Because of that reality, Adidas comes across as a Nike copycat from the perception point of view. And even though perception is usually wrong, perception is also reality.

Another link: Business Insider

"The University of Oregon and Nike's effect on uniform design continues."

This is embarassing. I always thought that Adidas and Nike had similar ideas and products, but this is just blatant copying. My friend at Baylor told me about the "neon-out" and how all of the students loved it but I never knew that they would take it this far.

spacer.png

Baylorbball.jpg

`

Yeah in this one uniform. Then they killed that by making 3 exact copies for 3 different. Show me three original jerseys, and I'll give your original. These are just a bad recolor.

And who thinks those shorts look good? Honestly?

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Baylorbball.jpg

`

Yeah in this one uniform. Then they killed that by making 3 exact copies for 3 different. Show me three original jerseys, and I'll give your original. These are just a bad recolor.

And who thinks those shorts look good? Honestly?

Again, that goes back to business, and the fact that the whole reason for this is to promote adidas uniform technology, not Cincinnati, Baylor or Louisville basketball as unique entities. In the business world, each school is a member of team adidas. Having them all the same design, with team (or in some cases, non-team) colors makes it an adidas uniform rather than a Baylor uniform or a Louisville uniform. In that sense, I suppose they did pull a Nike. The design elements themselves are nice (the tiger stripe camo is great). I just don't like how it all came together. Unfortunately, that's where the business is these days.

It's not a great complete uniform design, but that's one in a million in the world we live in. Sport design is just too much about serving the manufacturers now. What sportswear companies do is almost like advertising on-field in the sense that the teams are essentially wearing Nike and adidas advertisements without actually wearing big logos on their jerseys.

Seems the only way to revolt is to start a company that does it the right way, i.e., one that serves the team instead of its own interests.

I just want to explain fashion and sports apparel while everyone is throwing out this "adidas copied" crap.

Sports apparel companies get their inspiration from the fashion world. It goes in this order: You see it in European runways, then you see it in more mainstream "high fashion" (think Versace) then lower "fashion" (think Nordstrom). Then a year or 2 passes and it ends up in sports (about the same time it hits Target but before it hits Walmart). The trends you are seeing on runways in Europe now will be hitting the courts and fields in about 3 years.

All the companies see the same things. They get the same trend reports. They all know what the "hot trends" are going to be. They know what the "hot colors" are going to be. Don't you find it odd that Reebok, Nike, and Under Armor all had versions of camo come out at the same time a few years ago? They didn't copy each other cause those things take months, even years to develop. "Military" was a huge trend that was first seen on the runways 2 years before. Or that in the last year you've seen a ton of "southwest" or "Native American" inspired clothes, especially for women?

Same with colors. Adidas had a neon yellow soccer boot before Nike started using electricity (or whatever they called it) everywhere. Seriously how on earth did Nike with Orange and Adidas with Yellow both come out with bright ass soccer boots during the same world cup? You think there are spies or you think they do the same trend analysis?

Bright colors are everywhere right now and that's what Adidas is keying on. Not Nike's yellow. If you'll notice Cincinnati and Louisville are using a super bright almost neon red. Its about bright colors. Adidas just does it somewhat close to the team's color palette instead of something way off.

Now I won't argue that Oregon and Nike kinda started the crazy uniforms thing in recent history (don't forget that before them there was Zubaz and the arena league). But they are just giving recruits and the main demographic (14-24) exactly what they are asking for. All the companies are doing it.

Bright colors are everywhere right now and that's what Adidas is keying on. Not Nike's yellow. If you'll notice Cincinnati and Louisville are using a super bright almost neon red. Its about bright colors. Adidas just does it somewhat close to the team's color palette instead of something way off.

So neon yellow is close to Baylors color palette but not Oregons???

Not related to the neon discussion but does it bother anyone else that Baylor uses athletic gold for football and athletic gold for basketball? I wish they'd adopt old gold throughout...

Not related to the neon discussion but does it bother anyone else that Baylor uses athletic gold for football and athletic gold for basketball? I wish they'd adopt old gold throughout...

The Nike fitted teams wear old gold, while Adidas fitted teams wear athletic gold.

Archived