Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

This is not to rank/measure crimes or sins; just so you know:

I smell a Bleacher Report slideshow!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is he a real journalist though, or just a personality with connections? I thought that real journalists had a certain code of ethics or something that they followed where they can only report confirmed facts and not spread rumors (even if rumors eventually are proven to be facts.)

I'm not sure how to define 'real' journalist (I don't know what his degree is in, for instance), but he's worked regular reporting beats in the past for Pittsburgh newspaper and TV outlets. He ever-so-briefly had a national ESPN Radio show as well.

Is this Madden a legitimate journalist?

He used to do color commentary on Monday Nitro

Well, he's at least a legit "broadcast journalist." If weren't on my phone I'd post a photo of Bobby Heenan.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Madden is the stereotypical blathering sports yack mouth and I knew I shouldn't have listened to that clip, but I just had to. I'm sorry, you'd better have some pretty damning evidence - real, concrete evidence - before you go off fat mouthing on radio dropping big bombshell allegations (he admitted it was a rumor, for :censored:'s sake)!

As much as I am interested in the details of this story, I'd rather not hear the typically irresponsible Mark Madden doing the detailing.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Is this Madden a legitimate journalist?

He used to do color commentary on Monday Nitro

Well, he's at least a legit "broadcast journalist." If weren't on my phone I'd post a photo of Bobby Heenan.

Before I even read your last sentence, I immediately associated "broadcast journalist" with "Bobby Heenan."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Listening to Mark Madden for legitimate sports reporting is as unwise a move as there is. He's a loud, disgusting, opinionated, sexist, douchebag and people only listen to his show to see how much of an ass of himself he can make. I am also confident he cannot talk without yelling. He is known to insult callers and hang up on them mid-sentence if he simply doesn't agree with them, and has explicitly said on air that "women shouldn't talk about sports". He's the guy that called Lemieux a "quitter" the first time he retired, and then after he was back bet him 66 bucks he couldn't score off the faceoff (which Mario not only raised to $6,600 but accomplished the feat that very night.)

He's also a dek hockey coach, and I see him there sometimes. His teams are always ridiculously good, but I'd hate to ever have him as a coach.

oBIgzrL.png

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

1. There's a lot of speculation as to if McQueary is protected by the Whistleblower's act in PA. There's been some back and forth as to if there's any weight to that.

2. This all happened on short notice, and I imagine the trustees will let this game go on Saturday and subsequently call off the remainder of the season. The entire department will be let go. There's not gonna be anyone retained into next year, I wouldn't think. Legal protection be damned.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I am not going to say that I know all my co-workers (or friends for that matter) as well as I think, but let's take a look at some members of Penn States coaching staff and how long they have been there.

Dick Anderson- 34 years

Larry Johnson (father of the former NFL RB)-15 years

Bill Kenney- 24 years

John Thomas- 20 years

and we also have Jay Paterno. Do you think that any of them also had an idea or Sandusky's beahvior?

With as many times as Sandusky allegedly patrolled the practice field and facilities with children in tow, there had to at the least be some unsettling assumptions made.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

With as many times as Sandusky allegedly patrolled the practice field and facilities with children in tow, there had to at the least be some unsettling assumptions made.

However, Sandusky seems to have known their schedules to the point that he knew when they were NOT in the facility. Recall, McQueary came back to the building that night.

Is Madden the radio guy from PA who said that the guy who got assaulted at the Dodgers - Giants game had it coming for wearing a Giants jersey to Dodger Stadium? Or am I thinking of someone else?

EDIT: Never mind. I just googled him. He's that asshat who keeps showing up in those NFL FIlms/NFL Network "Top Ten/Greatest Ever..." programs. To answer BBTV's question; no, Madden is not "legit." At least in my opinion he's not.

BB52Big.jpg

Listening to Mark Madden for legitimate sports reporting is as unwise a move as there is. He's a loud, disgusting, opinionated, sexist, douchebag and people only listen to his show to see how much of an ass of himself he can make. I am also confident he cannot talk without yelling. He is known to insult callers and hang up on them mid-sentence if he simply doesn't agree with them, and has explicitly said on air that "women shouldn't talk about sports". He's the guy that called Lemieux a "quitter" the first time he retired, and then after he was back bet him 66 bucks he couldn't score off the faceoff (which Mario not only raised to $6,600 but accomplished the feat that very night.)

He's also a dek hockey coach, and I see him there sometimes. His teams are always ridiculously good, but I'd hate to ever have him as a coach.

Is Madden the radio guy from PA who said that the guy who got assaulted at the Dodgers - Giants game had it coming for wearing a Giants jersey to Dodger Stadium? Or am I thinking of someone else?

That was a print guy...pretty sure not the same one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That was a print guy...pretty sure not the same one.

Yup. You're right. I googled him and adjusted my post accordingly.

BB52Big.jpg

However, Sandusky seems to have known their schedules to the point that he knew when they were NOT in the facility. Recall, McQueary came back to the building that night.

That was when he would take advantage of the kids, but he'd have kids with him during practices, meetings, pretty much off and on any time of the average day both pre/post "retirement."

edit - the Mike Madden thing was, uh, a bit premature. Sorry for posting that asshat's blather.

twitter

There are things that aren't lining up for me. If this was going on since whenever and the report by McQuerey, why now? This has all the makings of a power struggle between someone within the program and trying to remove Paterno. I'm not saying that what Paterno did was right, but I question the University for covering it up for so long. And within that questioning of the University, I question the Board of Regents. Does anyone know who they are and how long they've been there? I know in 2004 they tried to get rid of Paterno, and it didn't work. I want to know how many of these board members were there in 2002, and they did nothing. Let's not let them off either. My gut says that they wanted to have Joe leave after this year and probably when they heard that he wanted to coach another year, they let this information out to embarrass him. I really honestly believe this is a power play, and we need to look and find out who these Board of Regents are and how much they knew. You don't sit on information like this for 10 or so years and then one day let it out, unless you are blackmailing someone for your own gain. Unfortunately, that's what I believe will come out. And here's another nugget to chew on. What about NCAA sanctions? You want to talk about lack of institutional control, Penn State is it. Would this be ground for the death penalty? Or is it just paying players that the NCAA despises. This is so much worse than what SMU did, and I can't understand how if everything we here is true, how Penn State is allowed to even have a football program by the NCAA for a few years.

First off, I apologize if anything I'm about to say has already been mentioned, as far as I remember it hasn't. Also, my utmost sorrow goes out to the victims and their families for the horrific acts done to them, Sandoucheky is a terrible man.

In regards to the whole scandal, I feel like the event that occurred in 2002 is not the most important aspect of the scandal. Four years earlier, in 1998, the deciding moment in the fate of those who have lost/or will lose their job, was a meeting between Jerry Sandusky, Penn State campus police, local law enforcement and state investigators. In the meeting, ?Sandusky admitted showering naked with Victim 6, admitted to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admitted that it was wrong," yet all Ronald Schreffler, a campus police detective, advised Sandusky to do was not shower with kids again? Seriously? This is the first red flag to be raised. Why is he not arrested on the spot? Is there a low that prevents that? Law enforcement started this cover up, and yet they are receiving none of the blame. Why? Anyways, soon after, Joe Paterno held a meeting with Sandusky, telling him that he would not be the next head coach at PSU, indirectly showing him the door. Two months later comes Sandusky's startling retirement at 55 years old, close to the top of the coaching world. Why the heck would he do that? And what makes it more puzzling is not once did his name resurface for another coaching position, or to come out of retirement. This leads me to believe that this is more than a PSU, and Pennsylvania Law Enforcement cover up, but an NCAA wide cover up. So, when the incident in 2002 occurred, wouldn't they cover this one up to follow suit from four years ago? And why would Sandusky even have access to the facilities? Oh yeah, its because he signed a retirement agreement, approved not by Joe Paterno, but by those like the AD, and president. Getting back to the incident, after Mcqueary saw the act, if he had called authorities, who's to say that they would act responsibly? If Law enforcement followed protocol previously, the 2002 incident should've never happened. Same for Paterno, how do we really know what the police would've done? So, he passed it on up the chain of command, which was a very dumb decision, then it stopped working its way up.

Now, it may sound like I'm supporting Paterno and Mcqueary, but believe me JoePa did get what he deserved, and Mcqueary hasn't yet, but he will. I'm just saying, the only PSU coach that would have been involved in this is Sandusky. Had the police done what they should, they would have stopped a monster in his tracks, and minimize almost 10 years of more damage he caused to innocent children.

Feel free to rip me to shreds, since these ideas may appear to be ludicrous and outlandish, but I just wanted to shed some light on this part of the story.

Also, here're some links that go along with what I've said.

My link My link

First off, I apologize if anything I'm about to say has already been mentioned, as far as I remember it hasn't. Also, my utmost sorrow goes out to the victims and their families for the horrific acts done to them, Sandoucheky is a terrible man.

In regards to the whole scandal, I feel like the event that occurred in 2002 is not the most important aspect of the scandal. Four years earlier, in 1998, the deciding moment in the fate of those who have lost/or will lose their job, was a meeting between Jerry Sandusky, Penn State campus police, local law enforcement and state investigators. In the meeting, “Sandusky admitted showering naked with Victim 6, admitted to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admitted that it was wrong," yet all Ronald Schreffler, a campus police detective, advised Sandusky to do was not shower with kids again? Seriously? This is the first red flag to be raised. Why is he not arrested on the spot? Is there a low that prevents that? Law enforcement started this cover up, and yet they are receiving none of the blame. Why? Anyways, soon after, Joe Paterno held a meeting with Sandusky, telling him that he would not be the next head coach at PSU, indirectly showing him the door. Two months later comes Sandusky's startling retirement at 55 years old, close to the top of the coaching world. Why the heck would he do that? And what makes it more puzzling is not once did his name resurface for another coaching position, or to come out of retirement. This leads me to believe that this is more than a PSU, and Pennsylvania Law Enforcement cover up, but an NCAA wide cover up. So, when the incident in 2002 occurred, wouldn't they cover this one up to follow suit from four years ago? And why would Sandusky even have access to the facilities? Oh yeah, its because he signed a retirement agreement, approved not by Joe Paterno, but by those like the AD, and president. Getting back to the incident, after Mcqueary saw the act, if he had called authorities, who's to say that they would act responsibly? If Law enforcement followed protocol previously, the 2002 incident should've never happened. Same for Paterno, how do we really know what the police would've done? So, he passed it on up the chain of command, which was a very dumb decision, then it stopped working its way up.

Now, it may sound like I'm supporting Paterno and Mcqueary, but believe me JoePa did get what he deserved, and Mcqueary hasn't yet, but he will. I'm just saying, the only PSU coach that would have been involved in this is Sandusky. Had the police done what they should, they would have stopped a monster in his tracks, and minimize almost 10 years of more damage he caused to innocent children.

Feel free to rip me to shreds, since these ideas may appear to be ludicrous and outlandish, but I just wanted to shed some light on this part of the story.

Also, here're some links that go along with what I've said.

My link My link

I'm sure how else to respond to that except, yeah. I think the allegation that "Well how come the police weren't told?" is stupid. The police were told. They did nothing. This is more than just Penn State. This is the entire town of State College, Pennsylvania.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

razr, I totally agree with you and your points. I pretty much made the same ones in a Facebook post:

And for the record, 4 years prior to Paterno hearing of that 2002 incident...another incident occurred (Victim 6) in 1998 where University police, city police, and the county DA investigated a "showering incident" with a young boy. This was initiated by his mother. In a TAPED conversation between the mother and Sandusky, he admitted to being naked in the shower and "rubbing" against the student (read the Indictment for worse). Even said he wasn't sure if he felt sexual feelings at the time.

What was the result? Sandusky was told to never shower again with a child by an Investigator from the PA Dept of Public Welfare AND a detective. Sandusky agreed.

Yet, Paterno is the one who could have prevented this all by reporting it to these same guys. Get out of here.

I think a lot of people knew about this and either were hoping it had stopped or were just keeping it under wraps, as not to damage the reputation of the school, it's athletic program, and Coach Paterno. I assume a lot of the town's economy is based on the university? Just a thought.

Archived