What is the best "new" NFL Rivalry?

Brave-Bird 08

Question inspired by watching the Ravens-Steelers game tonight. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this specific matchup for the past few years. It has become more and more heated with each passing season since the turn of the century.

We all know about Packers-Bears, 49ers-Cowboys, Broncos-Raiders.

But, what are some of the best new rivalries, and why?

My argument is Steelers-Ravens. It's just a different type of game when these teams play. It's physical football at its finest.

My other pick would be Falcons-Eagles. Since 2002 that game has always been huge, and it was again this season with Vick coming into town.

Argue with/against me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question inspired by watching the Ravens-Steelers game tonight. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this specific matchup for the past few years. It has become more and more heated with each passing season since the turn of the century.

We all know about Packers-Bears, 49ers-Cowboys, Broncos-Raiders.

But, what are some of the best new rivalries, and why?

My argument is Steelers-Ravens. It's just a different type of game when these teams play. It's physical football at its finest.

My other pick would be Falcons-Eagles. Since 2002 that game has always been huge, and it was again this season with Vick coming into town.

Argue with/against me.

The NFL and its TV networks have tried to build up Packers-Saints as basically the new Patriots-Colts (i.e. an in-conference rivalry between teams with marquee QBs). They had a great season-opener that actually lived up to the hype that was being piled upon it, but a playoff meeting could push that rivalry into the stratosphere.

CCSLC signature.png

Right now, I'd say Steeler-Ravens quite easily.

A few years ago, it was no doubt Colts-Patriots. It's on hold this year really with Peyton out, because now more than ever Colts/Pats has just become Manning/Brady. The core guys from both teams when the rivalry was at it's highest peak are gone. For the Colts, it's really just Manning and Freeney, for the Pats it's really just Brady.

With Steelers/Ravens, they still have the guys that are the cores of their respective teams still going at it. And they are both intense core guys. It's just some hard-nosed, angry football these guys play. This is what an angry, hard, defensive football game can look like and still be extremely entertaining (I'm looking at you, LSU/Alabama.)

Jets/Patriots is pretty good right now as well. Especially with the playoff games factored in. And that's what's built the best rivalries really is the playoff matches. Steeler/Ravens play twice in season sure, but that's been exacerbated by the playoff matches. That's how Patriots/Colts took the next step too. They played each other in the regular season each year, but the multiple playoff games made it rise.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Even though they only meet once every 4 years, Patriots-Giants is going to become one if they keep playing these close game. Giants-Colts (Manning Bowl, greatest game of all time) and 49ers-Ravens (Harbaugh Bowl) also have potential to be interleague rivalries.

Currently, I say Ravens-Steelers, Patriots-Colts, and Jets-Patriots

07Giants.pngnyy.png

AFC's best: Steelers-Ravens. So intense. So hard-hitting. (Obviously the reason why this topic was created.)

NFC's best: Ehh... Yeesh... How about 'None'?

Honorable mention: Jets-Patriots. They've had some nice battles lately, but just seems like there's something is missing from this rivalry....

6uXNWAo.png

Great rivalries come and go. They're mostly amongst teams that play in the same division. One exception in the 2000's were NE v Indy, as many times they'd meet both in the regular season and playoffs.

When I first started watching the NFL it was Oakland v Kansas City, Dallas v Wash, and SF v LA Rams

The best 'new' rivalries have become the ones between NYJ v NE, Pit v Bal, NYG v Philly, NO v Atl, and always Chi v GB

Jets and Patriots have been in same division for 50 years, and NY vs Boston is always a big rivalry. Its not new, although its better than ever now that both teams are competitive at the same time the last few years. The key to any rivalry is both teams being good at the same time. Thats why Jets-Dolphins is cooling down lately.

Same goes for Giants-Eagles. NY vs. Philly, same Division forever. Nothing new about that at all.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Being an AFC North fan, I would go with the Steelers-Ravens as well. They are 2 teams built nearly exactly the same. They have some threats on offense, not top tier big guns, but threats. They build a solid defense that keeps them in games or straight up wins them games. Last, they have a quarterback who just manages games. They aren't asked to go win games on their own, nor are they expected to. But just manage the game and don't screw up too much.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Archived