Is 2011 the worst year in the history of sports?

NJTank

Apologies in advance for this little foray into homer territory... Are we seriously placing the "Ohio State scandal" in the same category as deaths and child molestation? Sorry Francis, but my alma mater's indiscretions don't measure up to plane crashes, racing deaths, and the Penn State ordeal. For that matter, neither do the NFL and NBA lockouts. Let's try on a little perspective here.

Perspective? This is sports, where a dropped pass can be described as a tragedy!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies in advance for this little foray into homer territory... Are we seriously placing the "Ohio State scandal" in the same category as deaths and child molestation? Sorry Francis, but my alma mater's indiscretions don't measure up to plane crashes, racing deaths, and the Penn State ordeal. For that matter, neither do the NFL and NBA lockouts. Let's try on a little perspective here.

He's not equating them at all, from my understanding - merely listing the various sports scandals that have come out so far this year. That doesn't mean that they're all equally bad.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

He's not equating them at all, from my understanding - merely listing the various sports scandals that have come out so far this year. That doesn't mean that they're all equally bad.

Right, I think you jumped the gun on this. We're just listing negative sports stories from the year--and while it doesn't involve death, the OSU scandal was very significant.

The Red Sox had a collapse that is this generation's 78 and 86 all rolled into one.

And yet, the Bruins won their first Stanley Cup since 1972, going to seven games three times and often beating teams that were favored over them.

Tank is forgetting Crosby's concussion issues...

Hey I could argue this was a great year in sports.

7-game World Series

Final day of MLB regular season

7-game Stanley Cup Final

Nowitzki leading Mavs to NBA title

VCU and Butler making Final Four

Japan winning Women's world cup

Packers run to Super Bowl title as Rodgers emerges from #4's shadow.

Novak Djokovic's run this year.

On the fields of play a lot of great things happened, but in and around sports a lot of lives were ruined.

How was Japan winning the womens world cup a good thing? Atleast from an americans point of view.

Seriously? There was a huge :censored:ing earthquake and tsunami and nuclear disaster that crippled one of the world's most important nations, and the Japanese Women's Football Team coming up and beating several heavily favored opponents to win one of the most important tournaments in international sports is an amazing, inspiring story for any year, even from an American's point of view.

spacer.png

Right, I think you jumped the gun on this. We're just listing negative sports stories from the year--and while it doesn't involve death, the OSU scandal was very significant.

Fair enough. I retract my homeristic rant.

BB52Big.jpg

I just think the scope of what has happened, which sad to say is more important than the good stuff on the field has been so bad it has overshadowed anything good.

I mean come on we have an entire team wiped out that alone could destroy a year and then you have the destruction of Joe Pa, one of the most admired men in College Football and it was all a lie.

Plus they continued corruption and scandal in the NCAA.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I just think the scope of what has happened, which sad to say is more important than the good stuff on the field has been so bad it has overshadowed anything good.

I mean come on we have an entire team wiped out that alone could destroy a year and then you have the destruction of Joe Pa, one of the most admired men in College Football and it was all a lie.

Again, all off-field occurrences.

Yeah I know I am saying the off field stuff is what has made this the worst year.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Just look at some of the horrible things that have marred this year.

NFL Lockout almost disrupts season.

Dan Whealdon death

Lokamotive Crash

Penn State Sex Scandal

Possible loss of the 2011/12 NBA Season.

NHL Enforcer Deaths.

Ohio State Scandal

You kidding me? It's the best news ive ever heard!

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

I nominate 2007:

-Michael Vick dogfighting trial.

-Tim Donaghy's ref fixing allegations come out.

-Spurs and Ducks win NBA and Stanley Cup titles to their lowest ratings in history (both got beat by Cosby Show reruns).

-Peak of the steroids investigations (Mitchell Report).

-Barry Bonds breaks HR record of 756* HRs.

-Kobe nearly gets traded away and nearly destroys all of Los Angeles.

-The first full year which ESPN does their reporting TMZ-style (Red Sox, Favre, LeBron, Duke, etc).

Dennis Dixon blew out his knee... :cursing:

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

I nominate 2007:

-Spurs and Ducks win NBA and Stanley Cup titles to their lowest ratings in history (both got beat by Cosby Show reruns).

-The first full year which ESPN does their reporting TMZ-style (Red Sox, Favre, LeBron, Duke, etc).

edit: I'm an idiot, derf. But yes, the 2007 sports year looks pretty horrible.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yeah I know I am saying the off field stuff is what has made this the worst year.

You still just gave a very myopic and North American-centric reason why the year in sport was "the worst".

Look at why sport is great. It is great due to success, not tragedy or pathos.

Be happy about what you see, as opposed to constantly looking to see and report here on "What Grinds Your Gears".

Others have named some positive moments, but there are still some which were not covered, such as:

Trevor Bayne winning the Daytona 500.

The fact that Dan Wheldon won his second Indianapolis 500 when he did not have a permanent ride for this season.

New Zealand staging the 2011 Rugby World Cup following the earthquake in February 2011 which took out a major venue, Christchurch's Lancaster Park; New Zealand was able to still win the tournament.

Seeing Rory McElroy's performance at The Masters in failure, only to see him follow it up by winning his first major at Congressional (US Open) by eight strokes.

In the LPGA, Yani Tseng is only 22 years old. She has just won her fifth Major title and won seven times this year.

The 2011 PGA Championship had a playoff with two young players and Keegan Bradley won. Keegan is the nephew of LPGA Hall of Famer Pat Bradley and was the youngest male to win his major debut since 2003 (Ben Curtis).

How mediocre Caroline Wozinacki is as the WTA #1 tennis player yet has not won a slam.

Kelly Slater won his 11th surfing world title.

The USA winning the most gold and overall medals in the IAAF Words in Daegu, South Korea.

Former CART driver Alex Zanardi won the handcycle class of the NYC Marathon.

UFC hits network TV this Saturday.

The Red Sox had a collapse that is this generation's 78 and 86 all rolled into one.

And yet, the Bruins won their first Stanley Cup since 1972, going to seven games three times and often beating teams that were favored over them.

7-game World Series

7-game Stanley Cup Final

On the fields of play a lot of great things happened, but in and around sports a lot of lives were ruined.

How was Japan winning the womens world cup a good thing? Atleast from an americans point of view.

Seriously? There was a huge :censored:ing earthquake and tsunami and nuclear disaster that crippled one of the world's most important nations, and the Japanese Women's Football Team coming up and beating several heavily favored opponents to win one of the most important tournaments in international sports is an amazing, inspiring story for any year, even from an American's point of view.

Your telling me that you were happy that they beat us in the world cup? I was mad USA lost sure I feel bad for Japan but that isn't a good thing, that they won atleast from our point of view.

I nominate 2007:

-Spurs and Ducks win NBA and Stanley Cup titles to their lowest ratings in history (both got beat by Cosby Show

reruns).

Dennis Dixon blew out his knee... :cursing:

Hey I loved that night :P

Seriously though, on top of the things that were mentioned, there was a pretty dull, turnover filled Super Bowl, and a sweep in the World Series.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

7-game World Series

7-game Stanley Cup Final

Your telling me that you were happy that they beat us in the world cup? I was mad USA lost sure I feel bad for Japan but that isn't a good thing, that they won atleast from our point of view.

Well not everything in the sports world should be from the US's PoV. It's annoying, I say Japan winning the WWC is one of the best things ever to happen in sports. If the Earthquake never happened, i'm sure we would be all null on the event, but the entire World was on Japan's side, and I think that eclipses the American PoV. I know it sucked, but it such a great thing.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Dan Whealdon death

Lokamotive Crash

Penn State Sex Scandal

NHL Enforcer Deaths.

Ohio State Scandal

The Thrashers moving. I'm surprised you didn't add that.

Dan Whealdon death

Lokamotive Crash

Penn State Sex Scandal

NHL Enforcer Deaths.

Ohio State Scandal

The Thrashers moving. I'm surprised you didn't add that.

The thrashers moving to Winnipeg was ultimately one of the best things to happen in sports this year. They moved to a city that truly appreciated hockey, and had been robbed of their previous team. Sure Atlanta was robbed of the thrashers, but the team had no future there. It was only a matter of time.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

Archived