2011-12 NBA Season

LeGooo

Hmm..well...what can I say about the Jazz...let's just say, thank goodness I was at a concert last night! :P

Naw, I have to be honest, I kind of expected this. We're a young team pitted against an extremely experienced team led by one of the greatest players of all-time (in my book) and certainly one of the greatest coaches of this generation. Not to mention, San Antonio has been on an absolute tear lately and frankly, I think they could go all the way this year. I knew the Jazz had heavy odds against them and likely had little shot of getting out barring a crazy Warriors/Mavs-esque topsy-turvy, so I can't say I'm all that upset. Dissapointed? Well of course, the Jazz are my team. Of course I want to see them do well. But you know what? The very fact this team is even in the playoffs to begin with is a season made. So, no angry upset fan here. This gives the young'uns much needed playoff experience, and them being there gives them the confidence that they can make it back again next year and grow.

Now, lets see if they can steal a couple at home. I know Jazz Nation (not trying to sound stupid - that's really the name the team gives the fanbase) will show up strong as always. And if they don't steal a couple at home? That's cool, can't hang my head. Like I said, the season was made for me already, so all's well whatever happens.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night's Lakers-Nuggets game had one play where Brewer had a breakaway and Sessions was chasing him. Ramon just flew past him, didn't even touch Brewer, yet Brewer missed the dunk then proceeded to flop and yell. He got the call. That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Then, I'm almost certain Gasol wasn't fouled one of the times he went the charity strike (can't remember the exact play). My point is, the NBA referees are some of the worst officials among the 4 major North American sports leagues.

Cool. Not sure how one bad call and a no-call equates to a game where the home team gets a 39-18 free throw advantage, and a 17-1 fourth quarter free throw advantage at one point.

I'm just saying bad calls go against both teams. Horrendous calls even. The NBA has the worst officials. That being said, that Clippers-Grizzlies was very poorly officiated and the free throw disparity is laughable.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I'm not sure "nervous" is the word. I mean, no Bulls fan in their right minds has the same expectations with or without Rose. Sometimes I want them to gut it out and at least reach the ECF for a Heat rematch. (I'm thinking an injured-star-reversed 2009 Bulls-Celtics rematch could be interesting, if not ultimately fruitful.) But then knowing how hard-fought these games will likely have to be for them to keep advancing, I wonder if it might be better to just get it over with as soon as possible and avoid any more career-altering injuries. If it happens now, good for Doug Collins.

So I'd say "numb," not nervous. There's not much to lose at this point.

Haha, the Bulls. Sheesh. One-man team is packing it in.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Does any NBA team have more than a "One/Two/Three man team" I mean you remove a star from any of the top contenders, and it's looks like they're the worst thing ever.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The Spurs. They have Duncan and Parker and Manu, but they're also crazy deep, with talented young players like Tiago Splitter and Kawhi Leonard.

The Bulls are a really deep team as well, especially in the front court. Taj Gibson or Omer Asik could start on a decent number of teams. But losing your point guard who is also the leading scorer isn't something that depth can just fix.

The Bulls game last night was mostly disappointing. They were in control for pretty much the entire game then just stopped playing at the end. Luol Deng really needs to step up in the upcoming games if they're going to win this series.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

How can I forget about the Spurs. They don't get nearly enough respect now a days. Mainly from the worldwide leader, but :censored: the worldwide leader.

Espn just wants Lakers vs HEAT and they will be in heaven

I think they'll be pretty happy with the Thunder as well.

But as NEW.ERA said the one team that has a really good shot of going to the Finals that they almost certainly don't want would be the Spurs because they don't have any superstars. What they have are five guys at each of the starting five positions that are better then your average starter and a deep bench.

What really scares me about them is seeing the type of offense they run and the results they get from it. They run that Larry Brown transition style offense which is very tough to execute and is usually not very high scoring even when its being run right, just because of how long it takes to set up alot of the plays. And they finished second in the NBA with that type of offense. That tells me that if your just a little off your game and the Spurs are on theirs, you can get blown out of the gym, and I'm not even saying the Spurs opponent would even need to play a bad game for that to happen.

I think whoever takes out the Spurs is winning the NBA title. I would like to think that's going to be the OKC Thunder, but I can easily see Russell Westbrook getting frustrated by Gregg Popovich's defense and making dumb turnovers and I will say with near certainty if those two teams meet up it will happen in at least one if not two games and the Thunder will have to find another way to win and that may or may not be the deciding factor in the series.

It's sad though. People forget about Tim Duncan, Manu, Tony. I'm not saying everyone, like all the guys here post in this thread because they love the game and are knowledgeable.

Just because those three, aren't flashy, really overly exuberant. They've got the rings. They're aren't showtime, they're aren't the Heat, they're aren't Lob City, they're just a damn good basketball team. And have been for the last decade and a half almost.

But as NEW.ERA said the one team that has a really good shot of going to the Finals that they almost certainly don't want would be the Spurs because they don't have any superstars.

nba_a_duncan1_195.jpg

If its 2004 yeah I would say without question, and if Tim Duncan were to retire today he would go into the HOF on the first ballot.

But now he can't be on the court more then maybe 30 minutes a game on a nightly basis nor is 25 points and 13 rebounds just automatic for him. He might carry the Spurs to a win or two this postseason, but he isn't going to just take over a seven game series. He can't do that anymore, the Spurs aren't going to ask him to do that, nor do I think they would even put him in a position that would even allow him to do that.

If you consider Tim Duncan a superstar your either basing that entirely off of what he's done prior to the last couple of seasons or have a very loose definition of the term. I can't consider somebody who can't even give 30 minutes a night an elite player.

It's sad though. People forget about Tim Duncan, Manu, Tony. I'm not saying everyone, like all the guys here post in this thread because they love the game and are knowledgeable.

Just because those three, aren't flashy, really overly exuberant. They've got the rings. They're aren't showtime, they're aren't the Heat, they're aren't Lob City, they're just a damn good basketball team. And have been for the last decade and a half almost.

Well this has been my issue with the NBA marketing itself as a superstar league. Basketball is a team sport, not an individual sport and for the last three decades the NBA has tried to do everything to dispel that fact.

Its very likely that outside of Tim Duncan there is nobody on this current Spurs roster that is going to the HOF. And I definitely feel that fact gets held against them. They've always been a team who's biggest strength has been the fact that they have no weaknesses, which really goes against the grain of what the NBA wants to view itself as. And its not like Tim Duncan is the most marketable guy in the world either. Soft spoken, doesn't do anything crazy off the court, and basically has played his entire career like an old man. He rather make a two point layup then attempt a one hand tomahawk jam. And there shouldn't be anything wrong with that but with the way the NBA markets itself, on some level there is.

There's also not a single player or two players you can point to on the Spurs and say if they win the title its going to be because of this player or these two players, which really has to bug the NBA marketing department because they can't attach a face to Spurs and by transfer can't attach a face from their side to any playoff matchup they'll have.

Well this has been my issue with the NBA marketing itself as a superstar league. Basketball is a team sport, not an individual sport

Except that the best player on a basketball team accounts for more gameplay per night than in any other team sport. If you don't want the NBA to market its superstars, then maybe they should have 25-man rosters, sixteen players on the floor at a given time, and separate offensive/defensive corps.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well this has been my issue with the NBA marketing itself as a superstar league. Basketball is a team sport, not an individual sport

Except that the best player on a basketball team accounts for more gameplay per night than in any other team sport. If you don't want the NBA to market its superstars, then maybe they should have 25-man rosters, sixteen players on the floor at a given time, and separate offensive/defensive corps.

Or just don't market your sport that way.

That doesn't mean don't mention anything about star players. Just stop putting Kobe Bryant's name in front of the LA Lakers. But I know that's not going to happen and it has nothing to do with guys being featured more or anything like that. Its purely about $. Push comes to shove there's more money to be made by marketing individuals rather then teams.

My only issue with it is that I think it gives a very wrong impression of what the sport, because I see more disconnect between your average basketball fan think is happening in the game and what the players think is happening in the game then any other sport and I think its in direct part due to how the NBA presents itself.

As for the Mavericks tough series to swallow. Its one thing to get blown out of the building four straight times. Its another to get swept when you could have easily been up 3 games to 1.

Archived