2011-12 NBA Season

LeGooo

Last April I went to my first NBA game (Game 3 of the Nuggets-Thunder series) and had a pretty good time. Having never connected with any other NBA team, and my home state's team belonging to some of the most annoying fans in sports, I decided to become a Denver Nuggets fan from there. So far I like what I'm seeing. They have a lot of depth, they're one of the more likable groups, and they seem to play a pretty fast-paced game.

The best part though could be that they're outside my market so I really don't actually have to watch any basketball. I can just look at boxscores and cheer for a higher number.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These new Wizards road jerseys are a pain to look at. I'm not a fan of them.....

Agreed, they really don't look as good as I thought they would.

That being said, it is clear that when Melo and Chandler get into foul trouble the Knicks revert back to their old ways. Except now they can't rely on Amare bailing them out. Last year before Melo the Knicks still played no defense, except Amare had support around him (Wilson Chandler, Gallo, Fields, and Raymond Felton a TRUE point guard). Now he has nearly no support when those two are out and there's no one to get him the ball. I never thought I'd say this but they need Baron Davis in the worst way.

I'm confident that the Knicks will play like a totally different team when Baron Davis comes back. As you said, they need a guy who can deliver the ball and who excels at the pick-and-roll. He's going to make life for Amar'e so much easier. Amar'e is at his worst when he's forcing the action and dribbling traffic. Davis will find ways to get him the ball, get Melo his opportunities and on top of it all, Davis is stronger than nearly ever other point in the league. He'll get to the hoop often and force defenders to pick their poison. Right now, defenders can just lock in on their man since there's no ball movement. B. Diddy is the X-Factor here.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

tonight's game in Denver wasn't as bad as opening night against the Lakers. Yes, the Jazz lost by 17 mainly because of a Swiss-cheese defense, and its supposed leader Devin Harris was a disappointment again, but it wasn't all bad. The shooting was good, the team's chemistry was light-years ahead of last night, and Alec Burks looked good when he was in (albeit when the game was well out of reach).

It just seemed like one of those "growing pains" games, but more time together with all those home games next month should help put everyone on the same page; the fallout from the lockout has hurt Utah far more than anyone expected. At least that's what I'm seeing from here.

What I think is killing them most of all right now are two things: first, the apparent inability to hit close-range shots. I stopped counting how many times shots from within 15-ft rattled out or bricked entirely. This was more the case at Los Angeles - that game would have been a little closer if those shots could just go in. Second - and perhaps most baffling to me - is the apparent lack of effort and hustle. Thurl Bailey can say all he wants to about "can't question their effort" during Halftime and post-game, but I wonder if he's watching the same games we are. I can certainly question the effort. I see a great deal of loafing on defense and standing around on offense, which for the Jazz brand of basketball is absolutely inexcusable. I didn't see a whole lot of energy at all, save for spurts of it from Hayward, Burks' entire playing time (which really impressed me, by the way. He looked great), and every now and then down low from Kanter. Big Al had a decent game as well. But for the most part (and I think Matt Harpring said something to this effect during the broadcast), last night and the night before looked like those summer pick-up games where you have one team that flies down the court and obliterates like it's no big deal, and another team that's getting smacked around so bad that they seem almost delirious as to where the hell they even are. We, of course, were the latter. Very disappointing and frustrating two games, they definitely need to step up the effort. I can imagine if Sloan watches the games, that he's said more choice words at the TV the past two nights than he's probably spewed all year. I say that, meaning, this just isn't Jazz basketball we're playing. I can accept LOLWUTstomps if we're playing that never-say-die Jazz brand of basketball, but we're just not. We have the team to do it - we're likely the youngest and most athletic we've been in a long time. So why aren't we running the floor? Why aren't we slashing across the court? Why aren't we hustling?

All that said, what little I'm seeing out of the young'uns is promising. Hayward looks like one of the few on the court who remotely cares and is working hard, Favors is showing some decent play, Burks looked great last night, and Kanter is wiping boards well and showing strong presence in the inside. If he can just get his shots to fall, he'll be a beast. It also appears, outside of the young'uns, that Devin Harris was finally getting some shots to fall last night (I think he was 3/3 from 3-pt). Hopefully he can continue to improve.

But yes, the Jazz desperately as a team need to 1) work on hitting the easy buckets and 2) step up the effort. If they can attack those concerns, I think they'll be in decent shape. Of course, there's all the troubles that a long lockout can produce, but I think those two areas are what need to be tackled most right now.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

So, after whooping the Clippers last night, the Spurs follow it up by :censored:ting the bed against the Rockets tonight. Lockout basketball, everybody.

Like I said earlier any team that relies on running a half court offense is going to struggle.

I don't think the Spurs will be as bad as others because they have such a veteran team guys like Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili aren't going to miss a beat. May even wind up helping them long term. They may have an off game or two, but I think they're pretty much back in the swing of things already.

Shooting percentages in the NBA this year however are way down across the board. To just give you an example of how bad it is the Houston Rockets came into tonight ranked 11th in shooting with a .439 FG%. Only two other teams in the NBA shot worse last year and roughly half the league is shooting worse then Milwaukee (the worst shooting team in the NBA for '10-'11) did last year. The drop off in points scored though isn't as severe though. Its just a brick fest in alot of these games.

The Knicks were so much better BEFORE the Melo trade. What were they thinking?

Isiah Thomas is what they were thinking who supposedly is still the defacto GM for the Knicks. The move probably led to Donnie Walsh quitting the team because James Dolan went over his head to make the move, something Walsh said if it ever wound up happening he would quit on the spot and he pretty much did.

I've never been a huge fan of Carmelo because he can't play defense. You cannot go from being the best player on the court to the worst with one change of possession and be considered an elite player in my book and I don't think its out of the question to think that Carmelo Anthony might very well be the worst starting small forward on the defensive side of the ball in the NBA. If he's not then he's not far off from whoever is.

tonight's game in Denver wasn't as bad as opening night against the Lakers. Yes, the Jazz lost by 17 mainly because of a Swiss-cheese defense, and its supposed leader Devin Harris was a disappointment again, but it wasn't all bad. The shooting was good, the team's chemistry was light-years ahead of last night, and Alec Burks looked good when he was in (albeit when the game was well out of reach).

It just seemed like one of those "growing pains" games, but more time together with all those home games next month should help put everyone on the same page; the fallout from the lockout has hurt Utah far more than anyone expected. At least that's what I'm seeing from here.

I can accept LOLWUTstomps if we're playing that never-say-die Jazz brand of basketball, but we're just not. We have the team to do it - we're likely the youngest and most athletic we've been in a long time. So why aren't we running the floor? Why aren't we slashing across the court? Why aren't we hustling?

All that said, what little I'm seeing out of the young'uns is promising. Hayward looks like one of the few on the court who remotely cares and is working hard, Favors is showing some decent play, Burks looked great last night, and Kanter is wiping boards well and showing strong presence in the inside. If he can just get his shots to fall, he'll be a beast. It also appears, outside of the young'uns, that Devin Harris was finally getting some shots to fall last night (I think he was 3/3 from 3-pt). Hopefully he can continue to improve.

But yes, the Jazz desperately as a team need to 1) work on hitting the easy buckets and 2) step up the effort. If they can attack those concerns, I think they'll be in decent shape. Of course, there's all the troubles that a long lockout can produce, but I think those two areas are what need to be tackled most right now.

I agree--the Jazz were woefully sluggish in their first 2 games. Still, I believe that they have the talent to nab a low playoff seed (6 or lower) this year. Despite being sluggish, they weren't squashed by Denver on the road nearly as bad as Dallas at home in otherwise similar situations (being on the 2nd game of a Back-to-Back). Had they had played with more hustle, it would've been a much closer game and they would've had a chance to win. If the shots dropped in LA, that game would've been closer.

I'll stick by my view that the lockout and its resulting short training camp/preseason are among the main reasons why Utah didn't have their act together for these first 2 games. Had they had a full preseason, the starting lineup, subs, and system would've been largely well figured out, as they'd have all that precious time to iron out the wrinkles. Without it, there has been mistakes and sluggishness, and those will have to be fixed by a trial-by-fire process.

Please tell me that you're not overreacting and blaming Coach Corbin for the slow start. I don't wish the situation (replacing Sloan, D-Will trade, then lockout) he was put in on anyone. I may be blinded by homerism as I write this, but I can't think of any team in the NBA that's seen more on-court staff overhaul than the Jazz in the last year. Until Corbin struggles after he's been given at least full offseason or two, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

That said, he should put players that are playing well on the floor and keep them in (mainly Alec Burks), and take players that aren't out (mainly Raja Bell). Derrick Favors should have more playing time, despite being a foul-magnet so far; that's the only way he'll learn how to play.

It will largely take a few games, but I feel that the Jazz will find their identity and contributors and have a decent season (>30 wins), all things considered.

P.S.: BTW, I like "Never-say-die" in describing Jazz basketball!

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Judging by my Twitter feed, the Knicks bandwagon is currently falling off the Palisades into the Hudson River

That being said, I don't think we'll see how good or bad the Knicks truly are until, as stated before, Baron Davis comes back. Plus the first week of the season looks like bizzaro NBA with some of these results, so I'd say to get a better picture of things, wait a week or two

The Nets.. well, are the same old Nets I guess from what it looks like.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Please tell me that you're not overreacting and blaming Coach Corbin for the slow start. I don't wish the situation (replacing Sloan, D-Will trade, then lockout) he was put in on anyone. I may be blinded by homerism as I write this, but I can't think of any team in the NBA that's seen more on-court staff overhaul than the Jazz in the last year. Until Corbin struggles after he's been given at least full offseason or two, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

That said, he should put players that are playing well on the floor and keep them in (mainly Alec Burks), and take players that aren't out (mainly Raja Bell). Derrick Favors should have more playing time, despite being a foul-magnet so far; that's the only way he'll learn how to play.

It will largely take a few games, but I feel that the Jazz will find their identity and contributors and have a decent season (>30 wins), all things considered.

Actually, I put very little blame on Corbin. I've always been an ardent supporter of him, and still remain one. Sure, he could probably be a little more "fiery" to rile the players up, but as far as coaching goes I actually like what he's setting up. I put more of the blame on on-court execution. Corbin is setting things up well (I really like his starting lineup, for example), and being a former Jazz player, longtime assistant, and Summerleague coach, he knows the system and Jazz brand of basketball. The players just need to dust off a bit, step up, and execute. I mean, you can't run your plays to their potential if you're standing around like they seem to be so often on offense.

Now that I've had a day to cool off, I'll be honest and say that my honest prediction (more like a hope, but still :P) is that I think they will dust off a bit and get back to the Jazz brand. I too believe they have the talent to surprise some people and slip into the playoffs (I don't know about a 6-seed, but I expect 7 or 8). Once they get to running the floor and hitting the easy baskets, I believe they'll be a tough team. There's been spurts of it the past few nights, so I believe it's in them. Especially the young crew. As I stated before, there's been glimpses of real promise in these guys. Hayward, Favors, Kanter, Burks....now, growing up a Jazz fan spoiled with watching them succeed all the time, it's hard to get used to "building for the future". But, that young core looks really great. If we can keep it intact, three years or so down the road, they can be pretty dangerous. I'm not saying we're the next Oklahoma City, but I have no reason to believe this team can't be with some seasoning.

Back to the coaching though, it hit me this morning just how fortunate the team is that, despite all of these changes, they've assembled a staff that still carries out the Jazz brand (I know I keep repeating that, but it's important to me as a lifelong fan that we retain that). I mean, when you really think about it...Ty Corbin, former player, longtime assistant, summerleague coach. Scott Layden, obviously been around the franchise for long time what with his father being former coach and team president. Jeff Hornacek, Jazz LEGEND...I mean, this staff is the best possible staff we could have assembled under the circumstances. And Sidney Lowe was a great addition as well. I think that despite the rough go and loss of identity the team has suffered the past year, we've made strides to make the best of it.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Actually, I put very little blame on Corbin. I've always been an ardent supporter of him, and still remain one. Sure, he could probably be a little more "fiery" to rile the players up, but as far as coaching goes I actually like what he's setting up. I put more of the blame on on-court execution. Corbin is setting things up well (I really like his starting lineup, for example), and being a former Jazz player, longtime assistant, and Summerleague coach, he knows the system and Jazz brand of basketball. The players just need to dust off a bit, step up, and execute. I mean, you can't run your plays to their potential if you're standing around like they seem to be so often on offense.

Now that I've had a day to cool off, I'll be honest and say that my honest prediction (more like a hope, but still :P) is that I think they will dust off a bit and get back to the Jazz brand. I too believe they have the talent to surprise some people and slip into the playoffs (I don't know about a 6-seed, but I expect 7 or 8). Once they get to running the floor and hitting the easy baskets, I believe they'll be a tough team. There's been spurts of it the past few nights, so I believe it's in them. Especially the young crew. As I stated before, there's been glimpses of real promise in these guys. Hayward, Favors, Kanter, Burks....now, growing up a Jazz fan spoiled with watching them succeed all the time, it's hard to get used to "building for the future". But, that young core looks really great. If we can keep it intact, three years or so down the road, they can be pretty dangerous. I'm not saying we're the next Oklahoma City, but I have no reason to believe this team can't be with some seasoning.

Back to the coaching though, it hit me this morning just how fortunate the team is that, despite all of these changes, they've assembled a staff that still carries out the Jazz brand (I know I keep repeating that, but it's important to me as a lifelong fan that we retain that). I mean, when you really think about it...Ty Corbin, former player, longtime assistant, summerleague coach. Scott Layden, obviously been around the franchise for long time what with his father being former coach and team president. Jeff Hornacek, Jazz LEGEND...I mean, this staff is the best possible staff we could have assembled under the circumstances. And Sidney Lowe was a great addition as well. I think that despite the rough go and loss of identity the team has suffered the past year, we've made strides to make the best of it.

I agree with you on pretty much everything you've said, but especially what's bolded.

A 6-seed for the Jazz is best-case scenario this year, meaning that they get boiling-lava hot sometime in the season. What's happening now is that the players just aren't executing.

I believe that management is following the Oklahoma City model in as far as building through the draft and developing players. Utah can follow what OKC has done and they can be the next Oklahoma City (or close to it) with the talent they have. Again, I like the way you've described Ty's approach to coaching--setting up a system is what he's doing. Just like developing the young players, the system and roster changes are a work in progress. I just hope that Jazz Nation and the Front Office can be patient, as the best long-term thing the Jazz can do is to stay the course in their development, because it will come.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Wolves are 0-3, but they have "played tough" and "had a chance to win" in all three games. As much as I am tired of those phrases, this is probably the most exciting Wolves team that I have watched ever. So I'm still giving them time before losing faith in David Kahn.

Wolves are 0-3, but they have "played tough" and "had a chance to win" in all three games. Boy, am I tired of those phrases. Regardless, this team is probably the most exciting Wolves team I have watched ever.

We're gonna get that all year. It'll be more fun than last year, but they'll still finish with the worst record in the league. It would help to have at least one star...LeBron's stardom sure helped Miami.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Wolves are 0-3, but they have "played tough" and "had a chance to win" in all three games. Boy, am I tired of those phrases. Regardless, this team is probably the most exciting Wolves team I have watched ever.

We're gonna get that all year. It'll be more fun than last year, but they'll still finish with the worst record in the league. It would help to have at least one star...LeBron's stardom sure helped Miami.

I honestly think all they need is someone who can finish games. These last three have been close and very well could have been wins if just one or two more shots or free throws were made. Having playmakers and scorers like Lebron and D-Wade will lead to wins just like we saw tonight. With the current squad, I just can't pick out anyone who would be able to put the team on his back in the last quarter.

I honestly think all they need is someone who can finish games. These last three have been close and very well could have been wins if just one or two more shots or free throws were made. Having playmakers and scorers like Lebron and D-Wade will lead to wins just like we saw tonight. With the current squad, I just can't pick out anyone who would be able to put the team on his back in the last quarter.

Their next three games are home games, but vs. Dallas, San Antonio, and Memphis. They should come out of that 0-6...but we'll see whether close games vs. OKC/MIA translate to wins vs. the next tier. Maybe.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived