Nike Pro Combat NFL in 2012

GangGr33n FTW

Take this excerpt from UniWatch.com if you don't know how far the Nike is going to go with the uni overhauls.

"Got a note yesterday afternoon from a reader named Alex (he prefers that his last name not be used), who works in sports retailing. Here?s what he had to say:

Today I ran into a Nike rep who I?ve known for a few years. He was showing the upcoming Nike NFL sportswear line, which will be called ?The League.? After showing the pieces (cardigan, letterman jacket, a few sweaters and shirts), he then said that all NFL teams are going to receive the Pro Combat treatment, and that
all
the teams would get a uniform overhaul. He stated that the amount of combinations won?t be as great as with the NCAA teams, because of the NFL?s uniform rules, which made me believe that this might actually happen.

I don?t know if this is the truth or not, but the rep isn?t the kind of guy who would blow smoke up my ass. FYI, the sportswear collection actually wasn?t terrible.

Calculated ?leak?? Total bull :censored:? More about tailoring/cuts/etc. than graphics? Eh, whatever, we?ll all find out soon enough."

To me, as long as they keep some classic looks and don't mess with them much (Redskins, 49ers, Packers, Steelers, Colts, Raiders), I'm ok. But what teams would you guys like to see undergo a major overhaul (To me, Jags, Saints, Jets, Titans, Seahawks and Vikings)?? And what do you think about this excerpt??

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping Steelers get a black alternate jersey with Oregon's old uni design with the yellow helmet and yellow pants. That would be sick. I also think the Eagles might get the wings from the helmet onto the shoulders (a-la-Oregon). Also hoping the Seahawks bring back silver helmets.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Five Teams that should stay traditional:

Chicago

Cleveland

Green Bay

Oakland

Pittsburgh

Five Teams that have the potential to go uber modern:

Carolina

Cincinnati

Jacksonville

Seattle

Tennessee

Everyone else can go either way for me, these are the extreme outliers.

Five Teams that should stay traditional:

Chicago

Cleveland

Green Bay

Oakland

Pittsburgh

Five Teams that have the potential to go uber modern:

Carolina

Cincinnati

Jacksonville

Seattle

Tennessee

Everyone else can go either way for me, these are the extreme outliers.

I think the Colts need to stay traditional too.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I could see Jacksonville, Seattle, and Tennessee especially getting overhauled. Tampa Bay maybe (there's alot of potential with Nike and creamsicle).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Don't forget what we thought the Edge was going to do to the NHL (eg, vertical stripes for all teams).

I don't think we'll be seeing overhauls across the board. At the least, team like Green Bay, Oakland, Indy, etc. won't have much change.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

he then said that all NFL teams are going to receive the Pro Combat treatment, and that all the teams would get a uniform overhaul.

Sorry, not a chance. The NFL cares too much for it's dress code (for Christ's sake they weren't gonna let Earl Bennett play for wearing orange shoes) to allow a league-wide Pro Combat series, and the individual teams have the ultimate say in any potential uniform changes. Nike can't force every team to overhaul their uniforms. We've already had several confirmations that team's would be keeping their current uniform designs.

The Pro Combat series in college and Oregon's uniforms have made everyone think that Nike is gonna radically change the NFL, but it's just not gonna happen.

I'd bet only a small handful of people within Nike actually know what's going on next year with the NFL; the sales rep is probably just passing along internal company rumors. The sales rep either thinks it's legit news, or just wants to impress the person who wrote to uniwatch.

If it is true, then I'm impressed that it only took eleven years to go from "no more war metaphors for sports ever" to the biggest sports outfit in the Western Hemisphere having all their teams wear a uniform system called "Pro Combat".

If, by "overhaul", that "rep" meant "all teams' current uniforms would be done on the PC SoD uniform template", then yeah, I can understand that. But even then, I wouldn't doubt some teams would also just as soon petition to keep their current cuts, just with the swoosh adorned on them (see Ravens, Baltimore--i think they're one of the last teams to still be using the old-school jersey cuts). But as far as "overhaul" meaning "redesign"--yeah, not a chance. The NFL ain't finna let The Swoosh run its "creativity" rampid throughout its league.

All that said, it never ceases to amaze me how all the little Nike fanboys up in here, especially those who think all things Nike are TEH B3ST EVAR!!!!123, keep thinking the NFL will actually allow Nike to outfit its teams the way Nike does with its college teams. (And y'all see it all the time around here.)

All that said, it'll be interesting to see what's in store for 2012.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's my guess for teams receiving major overhauls:

? Panthers

? Jaguars

? Seahawks

? Broncos (the original Nike puppets)

? Vikings

? Raiders (black and silver are Nike's go-to colors)

? Bengals

Potential shockers:

? Cowboys

? Falcons

? Eagles

? Patriots

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

FWIW, Darren Rovell (CNBC Sports Business Insider)mentioned on Wednesday that he had heard at least six teams were getting new looks, but that a vast majority would keep the same overall look or only have very minor tweaks.

This is exactly what I'm expecting. There's probably going to be a couple teams that go with a redesign that normally wouldn't because they like something that Nike shows them. Then there's going to be the couple teams that change uniforms just because they were already planning on it like any other year. There's also probably a couple teams that either held off a year for their redesign to wait for Nike. But Nike's smart enough to keep the traditional teams wearing what they always have. For every Oregon and Oklahoma State there's an Alabama and Penn State.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived