Your own sports-call catchphrases

johnnysama

Yes, we've all pretended to be calling the play-by-play of a sporting event at some point in our lives. But now, here's a chance to put your catchphrases to good use. So, unleash your inner Vin Scully/Al Michaels here.

"If that's not Buzz Lightyear in ____ field, than this ball's outta here!" - Home Run Call

"TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!" - Another Home Run call

UBwef0L.png

As a true Public Address announcer, one of my favorites I like to use during football season, is when a RB breaks a few tackles for a big run:

"_______________ has proven he's the strongest man alive!"

That always gets a few cheers, laughs, and heads turning to the press box :lol:

This kind of fits so I'll tell it. My buddy was dating this girl back in early 2005. The Steelers were in Cincinnati for the Wild Card playoff game and a Bengal was in the open field (can't recall the exact play: RB? WR? PR?) and she started screaming, "GET THAT BUTT!!!" She proceeded to use it for the entire game. On nearly every play. Their relationship might not have lasted too long, but that phrase lives on during the rare occasion we are all together watching a game.

As a true Public Address announcer, one of my favorites I like to use during football season, is when a RB breaks a few tackles for a big run:

Some I used during my radio days... I was the sports director at a station I worked at during the early 90's (got the title because I was a sports nut at an oldies station and the only guy working there under 40... LOL), so I got to do some PBP as well as some color...

When a QB threw a touchdown pass, and after a delay to make sure it was a score... "He looks... cooks... fires up the grill... TOUCHDOWN!"

When a guy hit what I thought was a home run, but wasn't (I had lousy depth perception from a position right behind home plate and about 60 feet up)... "Oh he got that one... and it's... it's... out of the infield grass and caught by the shortstop."

When a guy actually did hit a home run... "He hit the ball, so he gets to touch 'em all!"

When a (opposing) hockey player had a penalty assessed against him... "Take a seat, meat. See you in (X) minutes."

nav-logo.png

This public address announcer has gotten laughs from giving a long distance situation as "third down and (insert nearby town here)."

LvZYtbZ.png

I'll sometimes bust out the Dude Love "oooooooooooooooohhhhhh, have MERcy!" and if it's a game winning goal or something do 23-skidoo.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This reminds me of an old call by Jack Buck or Mike Shannon on a Cards broadcast (story told 2nd hand by an uncle at almost every holiday). They lost track of what was going on and said a guy walked when he didnt. So they made up an imaginary pick-off play to even it back out.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Not my own, but I love it when they show high school football highlights on sportscenter and announcer says 'get that man a scholarship!' when one player makes a good play.

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

Mine are as lame as anybody's, and more just spontaneous reactions than calls per se. When there's a fumble, I say "Get on that!" For a sack or hard hit (think Harrison on Colt McCoy), "Crushed!"

Someone else's call that is burned into my mind forever: "Two receivers to the left, Garcon to the right. Manning, in the shotgun, puts Collie in motion. Looks in his direction...it's picked off, it's picked off, it's Tracy Porter again! He's running free, he's gonna go all the way, hand outstretched...it is a Saint touchdown! Seventy yards on the return! Seventy yards on the return by Porter! He did it to Favre and now he's done it to Manning."

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived