NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

Not necessarily bad for football, and definitely not a poorly-constructed font; but it IS a bit of an eyesore on those particular uniforms.

And when compared to some of the other fonts teams are using for their numbers, I think their font (along with the Lions') looks, well, girly.

Hence my apt description as 'effeminate', which -- according to Merriam-Webster -- means 'not manly in appearance or manner'.

Sigs are for sissies.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now that the Nike jerseys have been out for a while, what's the word on those of you who have bought?

I'm wanting to purchase one for myself as well as for a few family members as gifts, and I'm trying to make the right choices.

I'm the type that wants full-on authentic... but I don't want it to fit me goofy. I'm not a big guy and I won't be wearing shoulder pads, obviously. If I opt for the "Elite", is that going to be a mistake?

My family members will be entirely unconcerned with how authentic the jersey is. They'll be satisfied if it looks right and is of a satisfactory quality. Is the "Game" jersey good enough for that?

There's the "Limited" jersey sitting out there as an option, too.

Pretty much everything Nike did to everyone sucked. Yes, the Bengals set looks a tiny bit better, but that's like using the toilet brush on the sides of the bowl but not flushing the loaf in the center. Everything Nike did to the Rams is horrible. And now that their colors are unofficially navy and khaki (hey, like the Padres were), hopefully this will open the team's eyes to how bland the set was to begin with, prompting them to bring back royal blue and yellow.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So now that the Nike jerseys have been out for a while, what's the word on those of you who have bought?

I'm wanting to purchase one for myself as well as for a few family members as gifts, and I'm trying to make the right choices.

I'm the type that wants full-on authentic... but I don't want it to fit me goofy. I'm not a big guy and I won't be wearing shoulder pads, obviously. If I opt for the "Elite", is that going to be a mistake?

My family members will be entirely unconcerned with how authentic the jersey is. They'll be satisfied if it looks right and is of a satisfactory quality. Is the "Game" jersey good enough for that?

I bought a Game jersey a couple months ago, and I really like it. The old Reebok jerseys just fit me way too loose, and hung down too low for my taste. Yea, the numbers and player name are screen printed, but it's definitely a higher quality than the Reebok screen printing, probably just due to the fact that the new jerseys don't have a mesh body.

I'm 5'8", around 165-170. I tried on a Medium, which is what I normally wear and it fit well. It was still a little too baggy around my waste, so I tried on a Small and it fit perfectly. The shoulders are definitely tighter and more restricting than the old jerseys, though. So if you want to be able to have free range of motion without the jersey lifting up 2-3 inches when you put your arms up, you might want to rethink getting one. But, overall I'm very pleased with it.

Oh, and about the Limited jerseys...they fit EXACTLY the same way as the Game jerseys. The only differences being stitched on, twill numbers and player name as well as a reinforced collar. So really, it's just a matter of personal preference. I'll be getting an away Chiefs jersey in the Limited style eventually.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

I actually LIKE what Nike did to the Rams.

• They tapered the shoulder stripe slightly allowing it to be more complete rather than cutting off at the shoulders. (The Rams were already more successful at this than, say, the Colts, but this improved it.

• The thin white stripe doesn't bother me at all. Thin, medium. Either is fine. Reebok could never match the thickness of that stripe on the game uniforms with the thickness of the stripe on fan uniforms. Nike does. That's all I really care about concerning that stripe.

• The gold may be flat, but it doesn't really strike me as khaki. It still reads as gold to me. And in the limited amounts that it's utilized, it's not an issue. What would probably bother me is if they brought back gold pants and those were flat. (And that's probably what would happen, unfortunately.) I desperately want the gold pants back, but at that point, they'll need to bring the metallic back.

• On that note, there has been a trend across college and the pros to make metallic/shiny pants matte. It's annoying in cases in which the color is supposed to be metallic, but especially when the helmet doesn't match (see Ohio State and Notre Dame). HOWEVER, on non-metallic colors, it's typically a positive thing. Never has this been more evident than the Rams navy blue pants. Under Reebok they were arguably the worst set of pants in the entire league. Under Nike they're a decent set of pants that could stand to have the stripes reevaluated.

I guess I'll agree that I'd prefer the gold was metallic, but it hasn't bothered me, and for the most part I think Nike has been a clear improvement.

I bought a Game jersey a couple months ago, and I really like it. The old Reebok jerseys just fit me way too loose, and hung down too low for my taste. Yea, the numbers and player name are screen printed, but it's definitely a higher quality than the Reebok screen printing, probably just due to the fact that the new jerseys don't have a mesh body.

I'm 5'8", around 165-170. I tried on a Medium, which is what I normally wear and it fit well. It was still a little too baggy around my waste, so I tried on a Small and it fit perfectly. The shoulders are definitely tighter and more restricting than the old jerseys, though. So if you want to be able to have free range of motion without the jersey lifting up 2-3 inches when you put your arms up, you might want to rethink getting one. But, overall I'm very pleased with it.

Oh, and about the Limited jerseys...they fit EXACTLY the same way as the Game jerseys. The only differences being stitched on, twill numbers and player name as well as a reinforced collar. So really, it's just a matter of personal preference. I'll be getting an away Chiefs jersey in the Limited style eventually.

Thanks for the response.

Now I just have to get some feedback on the Elite jerseys. Although, in reality, I'll probably want to try one on in person before deciding anyways.

Cowboys will be in their throwbacks today. I wonder if any other teams are planning on it? The Lions usually seem to be 50/50. The Texans don't have anything to throwback to. The Pats have those vintage reds, but I think they are the away team today. Not sure about the Jets.

Cowboys will be in their throwbacks today. I wonder if any other teams are planning on it? The Lions usually seem to be 50/50. The Texans don't have anything to throwback to. The Pats have those vintage reds, but I think they are the away team today. Not sure about the Jets.

The Texans should "throw back" to the time when they wore red socks with blue pants.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived