College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Rice throwbacks (1957 Cotton Bowl Champions) for this Saturday's game vs UTSA:

A4s3sT8CYAEsekP.jpg

Is this a navy uniform, because isn't Rice Navy/Silver?

Rice's school colors are Blue and Gray.

The guy on the left looks like he played on that team, is that Walter!?!?!?!?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The navy facemasks will look so much better.

Is there a way to block people on here? You are like a broken record with that. Is there seriously anyone on this board that doesn't know nuordr position on grey facemasks?

Is there a way to block people on here? You are like a broken record with that. Is there seriously anyone on this board that doesn't know nuordr position on grey facemasks?

I think that the grey facemasks actually look way better than the blue.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Uniforms we will, unfortunately, wear this weekend against LSU:

669209753_zps07571ced.jpg

Very disappointing. How come a company like Under Armour can't put together a competent design staff and compete with at least the cohesive things Nike brings to the table?

There is no connectivity in this design at all. Standard jersey with grey replaced...same exact classic helmet...and then very busy pants that don't mesh well at all with the jersey. Total trainwreck.

2 weeks ago, I did a mock up of what I thought they MAY look like...not exactly what I wanted, but just a guess. You can see them if you'd like:

ua031512usc_zpsc7353dc4.jpg

I agree, Cola. I really liked your original UA ideas and I like your mock up for these. The Carolina uniforms we are wearing these days leave a lot to be desired. The striping, the small logos, and small font are just bad.

South Carolina is in their biggest stage in what could be argued the past decade, involved in a game against LSU that could solidify their chance at winning the whole conference, let alone standing beside Alabama, and they are trotting out in this setup? <_< Yeesh!

I actually like the jersey. I think gray goes well with the garnet and black of South Carolina but those pants and sleeves are horrible. If the pants were gray with the same striping as the standard pant the set would look great. Carolina's standard helmet bothers me. It is so traditional and the uniform is so modern. Something needs to be done. I say go back to this

southcarolina_ricardo_hurley.jpg

Did I mention anything about gray face masks in my last post? No, I do not believe I did. Therefore you are speculating.

spacer.png

I definitely think the grey facemasks looks better than the blue. It's just a good, neutral color.

The same can be said for white and black. So maybe Virginia needs to go with black from now on.

spacer.png

Uniforms we will, unfortunately, wear this weekend against LSU:

669209753_zps07571ced.jpg

Very disappointing. How come a company like Under Armour can't put together a competent design staff and compete with at least the cohesive things Nike brings to the table?

There is no connectivity in this design at all. Standard jersey with grey replaced...same exact classic helmet...and then very busy pants that don't mesh well at all with the jersey. Total trainwreck.

2 weeks ago, I did a mock up of what I thought they MAY look like...not exactly what I wanted, but just a guess. You can see them if you'd like:

ua031512usc_zpsc7353dc4.jpg

I agree, Cola. I really liked your original UA ideas and I like your mock up for these. The Carolina uniforms we are wearing these days leave a lot to be desired. The striping, the small logos, and small font are just bad.

South Carolina is in their biggest stage in what could be argued the past decade, involved in a game against LSU that could solidify their chance at winning the whole conference, let alone standing beside Alabama, and they are trotting out in this setup? <_< Yeesh!

I actually like the jersey. I think gray goes well with the garnet and black of South Carolina but those pants and sleeves are horrible. If the pants were gray with the same striping as the standard pant the set would look great. Carolina's standard helmet bothers me. It is so traditional and the uniform is so modern. Something needs to be done. I say go back to this

southcarolina_ricardo_hurley.jpg

this is 2012's version of Zubaz

Did I mention anything about gray face masks in my last post? No, I do not believe I did. Therefore you are speculating.

It's like arguing with a 5 year old.

I definitely think the grey facemasks looks better than the blue. It's just a good, neutral color.

The same can be said for white and black. So maybe Virginia needs to go with black from now on.

But then the argument can be made that grey naturally looks better than black when paired with a majority of colors. I know it's not an argument anyone will ever come out on top of, but I have no problem with the grey. Just one man's opinion in a world of opinions.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Can we stop with this nonsense? This board is about people's opinion on college football uniforms, if you have something to say, then shoot me a message, but I will not lower myself to argue with you anymore. You like what you like and I like what I like, sometimes they are the same, sometimes they are different.

spacer.png

Can we stop with this nonsense? This board is about people's opinion on college football uniforms, if you have something to say, then shoot me a message, but I will not lower myself to argue with you anymore. You like what you like and I like what I like, sometimes they are the same, sometimes they are different.

It isn't about me disagreeing with you, because I don't on this issue. It is about you repeating it 10,000 times when everyone already knows how you feel about the issue. I think you repaeting the same thing ad naseum is probably more annoying to most than mixing it up with someone who disagrees with you about something.

But what I really wanted to say was: "I didn't say you were the 5 year old. Therefore you are speculating. You may have been right, but that doesn't mean you weren't speculating."

No it isn't, it sticks out like a sore thumb. If anything, making it a school color is more neutral, because it blends in to the overall design instead of drawing attention to itself with a color that appears nowhere else in the uniform.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

UVa switching facemasks back to navy:

When you lose to Duke and have your new practice facility catch fire, I guess ANY change is in order.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Black has a set of colors that it doesn't work with. White and grey are your best options, and of the two, grey has a history of being a facemask and equipment color. As a result, if you don't have white in the uniform, a white mask looks odd, where as a grey mask looks perfectly at home in a uniform with no grey, because it's something we've seen in football since the beginning of the facemask era.

No it isn't, it sticks out like a sore thumb. If anything, making it a school color is more neutral, because it blends in to the overall design instead of drawing attention to itself with a color that appears nowhere else in the uniform.

To me, neutral means something that is not part of a color scheme and that recedes in a manner so not to be implied that it is part of the color scheme. Things like gray facemasks and gloves, tan pants, brown leather helmets, black shoes; those types of things are what I would consider 'football neutrals' that work with any color schemes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Black has a set of colors that it doesn't work with. White and grey are your best options, and of the two, grey has a history of being a facemask and equipment color. As a result, if you don't have white in the uniform, a white mask looks odd, where as a grey mask looks perfectly at home in a uniform with no grey, because it's something we've seen in football since the beginning of the facemask era.

To me, neutral means something that is not part of a color scheme and that recedes in a manner so not to be implied that it is part of the color scheme. Things like gray facemasks and gloves, tan pants, brown leather helmets, black shoes; those types of things are what I would consider 'football neutrals' that work with any color schemes.

i agree with that. but i'd say black works with more color palettes than grey as a neutral color. you can insert black into almost any color palette and make it work.

but i suppose if we're selecting a neutral mask for a helmet, (which is maybe what you meant?) what area of the value scale we end up for it to not be an eyesore depends on that helmet's value and color itself. and yea, grey always works given its history in football.

the reason i like Minnesota's helmet with the black face mask is it feels like a modern neutral. i wouldnt want to see a black mask on a silver helmet like Ohio State. but i dont think grey is always the happy medium in all cases aesthetically (which is where most people are coming from i think) but often is the most appropriate choice (where most people misunderstand the selection).

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Gray works for two types of helmets. A team with gray in it's color scheme or a team with traditional uniforms/helmet. The Colts, Browns, 49ers, Notre Dame work because there is history there, but the Arizona Cardinals look odd because of their modern identity.

Gray works for two types of helmets. A team with gray in it's color scheme or a team with traditional uniforms/helmet. The Colts, Browns, 49ers, Notre Dame work because there is history there, but the Arizona Cardinals look odd because of their modern identity.

This is true. If you're using grey as a neutral, you're committing to an identity that is firmly rooted in the traditions of football. Not necessarily straight vintage, but certainly heavily inspired by and not far removed from the vintage realm.

Responding to Brandon: I think black can work, but like white, it looks odd when there's a black mask and no other black on the uniform due to the lack of precedent. Wisconsin's Unrivaled uniform and Minnesota's current are good examples. If the facemask was the only black to be seen, it wouldn't work for me, but the fact that there are black gloves, socks, shoes, sometimes undergarments that coordinate with the mask, it works.

I definitely disagree that black works with more color schemes than grey, though. Grey doesn't clash with anything. Some people say it clashes with gold, but I love how gold and silver look together, and I've seen the color combo work too many times to see it as a clash. There are schools out there whose colors are silver and gold, which is a dead giveaway that it's a pretty good color scheme, even if we rarely see a uniform of silver and gold. There aren't any schools whose official colors are navy blue and black or brown and black, for example. Both color schemes can work if executed in a smart way, but black definitely has more colors that you have to be careful with.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived