College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

I disagree that gray doesn't clash with gold. My dislike for gray facemasks aside, those colors just don't work well together. The only school that I know of whose colors are silver and gold is Colorado. And while those may be their official colors, you never see anything that's just silver and gold. And when silver and gold are on the same uniform (it hasn't been until recently that they've started using a decent of silver again) they're never touching each other. Black is the de facto primary for their athletic teams and is always between any gold and silver. The only reason that their colors are silver and gold is because of the mining history of the state. The fact that they have to use black in all their uniforms is an indicator that silver and gold isn't a good combination.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely disagree that black works with more color schemes than grey, though. Grey doesn't clash with anything. Some people say it clashes with gold, but I love how gold and silver look together, and I've seen the color combo work too many times to see it as a clash. There are schools out there whose colors are silver and gold, which is a dead giveaway that it's a pretty good color scheme, even if we rarely see a uniform of silver and gold. There aren't any schools whose official colors are navy blue and black or brown and black, for example. Both color schemes can work if executed in a smart way, but black definitely has more colors that you have to be careful with.

agree, and we could probably do this all day, showing examples of visual vibration or "clashing". white and grey, or yellow and grey would be 2 more. maybe a light pink and grey? theres just a lot of variables but every color has a value and when you get another close to it in value, saturation, chroma, whatever, there will be that "vibration" that calls for a 3rd to separate it.

ive just always felt black was easier to manage, as anything can be used as a nice accent with it. a navy logo on a black helmet would definitely not be a good choice, but black and navy are fairly popular in fashion. but context (sports uniform vs daily outfit) changes things too

I disagree that gray doesn't clash with gold. My dislike for gray facemasks aside, those colors just don't work well together. The only school that I know of whose colors are silver and gold is Colorado. And while those may be their official colors, you never see anything that's just silver and gold. And when silver and gold are on the same uniform (it hasn't been until recently that they've started using a decent of silver again) they're never touching each other. Black is the de facto primary for their athletic teams and is always between any gold and silver. The only reason that their colors are silver and gold is because of the mining history of the state. The fact that they have to use black in all their uniforms is an indicator that silver and gold isn't a good combination.

yea in Colorado's context (or the NO Saints if they wanted which would be sweet) black is used as that separating color. but i think Andrew may have been getting at that anyway? not saying gold and silver are the only 2 colors that work in a design, but when you pair them both with black, white, maybe red or blue, its really elegant

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

Uniforms we will, unfortunately, wear this weekend against LSU:

669209753_zps07571ced.jpg

Very disappointing. How come a company like Under Armour can't put together a competent design staff and compete with at least the cohesive things Nike brings to the table?

There is no connectivity in this design at all. Standard jersey with grey replaced...same exact classic helmet...and then very busy pants that don't mesh well at all with the jersey. Total trainwreck.

2 weeks ago, I did a mock up of what I thought they MAY look like...not exactly what I wanted, but just a guess. You can see them if you'd like:

ua031512usc_zpsc7353dc4.jpg

I agree, Cola. I really liked your original UA ideas and I like your mock up for these. The Carolina uniforms we are wearing these days leave a lot to be desired. The striping, the small logos, and small font are just bad.

South Carolina is in their biggest stage in what could be argued the past decade, involved in a game against LSU that could solidify their chance at winning the whole conference, let alone standing beside Alabama, and they are trotting out in this setup? <_< Yeesh!

I actually like the jersey. I think gray goes well with the garnet and black of South Carolina but those pants and sleeves are horrible. If the pants were gray with the same striping as the standard pant the set would look great. Carolina's standard helmet bothers me. It is so traditional and the uniform is so modern. Something needs to be done. I say go back to this

southcarolina_ricardo_hurley.jpg

this is 2012's version of Zubaz

I was just talking about the black helmet. The uniforms look cheap but I think the helmet would go better with their current look because it doesn't have the traditional striping with the modern uniform. Even a solid garnet helmet would be good because they use more garnet than black now anyway

I definitely disagree that black works with more color schemes than grey, though. Grey doesn't clash with anything. Some people say it clashes with gold, but I love how gold and silver look together, and I've seen the color combo work too many times to see it as a clash. There are schools out there whose colors are silver and gold, which is a dead giveaway that it's a pretty good color scheme, even if we rarely see a uniform of silver and gold. There aren't any schools whose official colors are navy blue and black or brown and black, for example. Both color schemes can work if executed in a smart way, but black definitely has more colors that you have to be careful with.

agree, and we could probably do this all day, showing examples of visual vibration or "clashing". white and grey, or yellow and grey would be 2 more. maybe a light pink and grey? theres just a lot of variables but every color has a value and when you get another close to it in value, saturation, chroma, whatever, there will be that "vibration" that calls for a 3rd to separate it.

ive just always felt black was easier to manage, as anything can be used as a nice accent with it. a navy logo on a black helmet would definitely not be a good choice, but black and navy are fairly popular in fashion. but context (sports uniform vs daily outfit) changes things too

yea in Colorado's context (or the NO Saints if they wanted which would be sweet) black is used as that separating color. but i think Andrew may have been getting at that anyway? not saying gold and silver are the only 2 colors that work in a design, but when you pair them both with black, white, maybe red or blue, its really elegant

Idaho also lists silver and gold as its official colors, and Montana lists copper, silver and gold as its. I think a uniform consisting f only silver and cold could certainly be great, but no one's done it. It would take a good bit of R&D to choose a specific silver and gold that work together, but that doesn't make it a bad combination. You have to do that with all color schemes. My point is that even if you use black (or whatever) as a neutral buffer color, silver and gold still look excellent together. Army is a good example.

Yellow and grey is actually one of my favorite color schemes, as is white and grey. If you use a dark enough grey, there's no vibration issue. That's why I don't like labeling specific color schemes as bad or problematic. There are some that aren't traditional or expected, but if you dial in the colors to the proper hues and values, you can certainly make any scheme work. You could certainly make a great navy blue and black uniform. It would be much more subtle than most, and you'd definitely need a bright color to use for numerals, but there's really nothing that's off limits.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

x3uIK.jpg

So we're in the era of college football uniforms that visually link to 1980's professional wrestling?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

how about southern cal with a gold facemask?

sure that works. but thats another design thats totally traditional and the grey mask is still appropriate. i couldnt even guess when was the last time they changed something about the uniform

x3uIK.jpg

So we're in the era of college football uniforms that visually link to 1980's professional wrestling?

if USC, Arizona State, or Iowa State come out with a Hulkamania jersey im not going to be mad, LOL

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

how about so CIS football (Canadian College Ball) Montreal just unveiled these 3rd jerseys yesterday

https://www.facebook...08738989&type=1

Does the sideways 3 on their helmet help tell fans that this is a third jersey?

No it's supposed to represent the 3 campuses that make of the University and when flipped sideways its supposed to resemble an "M"

It looks like crap, they could have chose a better font to make the 3 actually look like an M when turned sideways.

USC looked better with red facemasks.

2865697_display_image.jpg?1319132418

While those jerseys look great, those helmets are bad. USC definitely needs to keep the gray facemask.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived