College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

The Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl....... I..... I don't think I can get over that.

The name is stupid, but I'd suggest going if you can. It's at Sun Devils stadium right on the ASU campus, and its definitely a fun place to be. Bummed I won't be here for it.

I know but some bowl names are just too stupid. Up until just a few hours ago, I thought that was just a joke.

Tempe Bowl? Devil Bowl? NONE of those were better?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The name is stupid, but I'd suggest going if you can. It's at Sun Devils stadium right on the ASU campus, and its definitely a fun place to be. Bummed I won't be here for it.

I know but some bowl names are just too stupid. Up until just a few hours ago, I thought that was just a joke.

None of those had a corporate sponsor.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I truly hate how some of these bowls are simply just the corporate name. I believe they all should have some kind of nickname along with it. Bowls like the Capital One Bowl, Outback Bowl, Chick Fil A Bowl, and Whatever-pizza-of-the-year-.com Bowl have no special meaning now that they are just corporately named. I don't care if they are still corporately sponsored, but give me the days of old when it was still at least the "Company X" Peach Bowl. With some of these new games cropping up the last decade or so, I think something like the New Era Pinstripe Bowl is great for a new game to be titled. Yes, they get away with corporate sponsorship, and yes the nickname is reflective of the Yankees, but it gives it an identity that goes beyond the New Era brand. It is creates a specialness where we know if the sponsor changes, it'll still be the Pinstripe Bowl. I think it's just bizarre that a player may win a bowl one year and if he's telling his kids about it 15 years later, he may have to explain "well, it was the Peach Bowl, but you'd never know it, because now it's just named after a chicken sandwich."

I truly hate how some of these bowls are simply just the corporate name. I believe they all should have some kind of nickname along with it. Bowls like the Capital One Bowl, Outback Bowl, Chick Fil A Bowl, and Whatever-pizza-of-the-year-.com Bowl have no special meaning now that they are just corporately named. I don't care if they are still corporately sponsored, but give me the days of old when it was still at least the "Company X" Peach Bowl. With some of these new games cropping up the last decade or so, I think something like the New Era Pinstripe Bowl is great for a new game to be titled. Yes, they get away with corporate sponsorship, and yes the nickname is reflective of the Yankees, but it gives it an identity that goes beyond the New Era brand. It is creates a specialness where we know if the sponsor changes, it'll still be the Pinstripe Bowl. I think it's just bizarre that a player may win a bowl one year and if he's telling his kids about it 15 years later, he may have to explain "well, it was the Peach Bowl, but you'd never know it, because now it's just named after a chicken sandwich."

nail on the head. but i dont think it will ever be that way, not very often at least. somehow corporations think they're doing it right. they're not interested in longevity and brand building, they're interested in the quick buck and will beat you over the head with their logo as often as possible

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Don't think they'd be able to pay $3,250,000 per team without a corporate sponsor.

It's not looking like I'm going to be able to make it, unfortunately. I have seen several games in Sun Devil Stadium and really like Scottsdale.

Never thought I would see Kent State in a bowl game...sure it's the GoDaddy.com Bowl, but they were one missed field goal in double OT from the Orange Bowl. Heck, in the 5 years I was at Kent, they were never ranked higher than 100 in the nation. #25 in the nation was something that only happened in EA NCAA 11.

David Carducci, who covers Kent State football said "Kent State will not only have a new Gold bowl helmet, but a new bowl logo on the side of the helmet. One 1 or 2 people in Kent have seen it."

So I guess it will differ from this one:

9579315-large.jpg

70389454.png

Never thought I would see Kent State in a bowl game...sure it's the GoDaddy.com Bowl, but they were one missed field goal in double OT from the Orange Bowl. Heck, in the 5 years I was at Kent, they were never ranked higher than 100 in the nation. #25 in the nation was something that only happened in EA NCAA 11.

David Carducci, who covers Kent State football said "Kent State will not only have a new Gold bowl helmet, but a new bowl logo on the side of the helmet. One 1 or 2 people in Kent have seen it."

9579315-large.jpg

A new bowl logo huh? Similar to how rose bowl teams add a rose, because its the godaddy bowl, will they add some chick teasing her goods and imploring you to go to godaddy.com to check it out?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

9579315-large.jpg

A new bowl logo huh? Similar to how rose bowl teams add a rose, because its the godaddy bowl, will they add some chick teasing her goods and imploring you to go to godaddy.com to check it out?

That may actually get people to watch that bowl.

nail on the head. but i dont think it will ever be that way, not very often at least. somehow corporations think they're doing it right. they're not interested in longevity and brand building, they're interested in the quick buck and will beat you over the head with their logo as often as possible

a marketing exec might argue that a traditional bowl game name combined with the sponsor's name muddles the sponsor's branding message which would not build the brand long term...also keep in mind that it's the bowl organizers that are willing to sell out the bowls' identities not the corporate sponsor.

Don't think they'd be able to pay $3,250,000 per team without a corporate sponsor.

It's not looking like I'm going to be able to make it, unfortunately. I have seen several games in Sun Devil Stadium and really like Scottsdale.

You can have a sponsor WITHOUT the sponsor being the sole name of it, ya know?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

You can have a sponsor WITHOUT the sponsor being the sole name of it, ya know?

Of course you can, if you don't mind getting significantly less $.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to see bowls going back to having actual names. The best we can hope for is for the bowls with real names along with sponsors keep the same format, such as the Discover Orange Bowl, Tostidos Fiesta Bowl, etc. The top bowls care about keeping a real name to build brand equity, but the rest of the bowls are money-making schemes that care little about lineage. Honestly, nobody is ever going to talk 20 years from now of the great tradition in the Flancrest Enterprises Bowl, which used to be the Applebee's Bowl, the Apple Computer Bowl, BBVA Compass Bowl, and before that the Papa John's bowl. Even if a sponsor were to stick on for 50 years, it wouldn't mean anything. The former players would likely forget which sponsor's name the bowl had, and instead refer to it as the bowl in Birmingham.

Of course, the reason for the switch to <Sponsor> Bowl is that sponsors offered more money if they got rid of the real name. Nobody except for sportscasters actually say "Allstate Sugar Bowl", we just call it the Sugar Bowl. However, name it the Allstate Bowl and there is no way to avoid saying the sponsor's name.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Rose Bowl's got it right. They struck the right balance between sponsorship and tradition.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

9579315-large.jpg

Kent got jobbed...normally the MAC Champ plays in the Little Caesar's Bowl in the Detroit. Well with N. Illinois jumping 6 spots in the rankings after barely winning in double OT (field goal goes 6 inches further to the left Kent wins), and going to the Orange Bowl, they decide to give that one to Western Michigan and send Kent to Alabama. Good luck getting students to go to that one.

9579315-large.jpg

Kent got jobbed...normally the MAC Champ plays in the Little Caesar's Bowl in the Detroit. Well with N. Illinois jumping 6 spots in the rankings after barely winning in double OT (field goal goes 6 inches further to the left Kent wins), and going to the Orange Bowl, they decide to give that one to Western Michigan and send Kent to Alabama. Good luck getting students to go to that one. I don't see why the runner up doesn't go to Detroit.

70389454.png

In 2013, look for new uniforms and multiple helmet colors for the University of Colorado Buffaloes. They are a Nike school and about to hire a new head coach. The past few seasons they have worn a retro-ish look representing the late 80's/early 90's style they had when they were a top program. The only change/addition is that over the past 2 seasons, they have added a black helmet to go with their traditional gold one. A player with the team shared the info about the upcoming changes.

Well, that's very disappointing. Colorado, despite the black helmet, has one of the best looks in the game right now.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Apparently Colorado's colors are Gold and Silver. I, for one, wouldn't mind them trying to re-introduce silver into their uniforms. If done right, it could look good.

they added silver back when they went to the italicized inline numbers in the late 90's...it didn't look to bad.

it's a shame they are going to get rid of their classic uniforms as they are by far and away one of the classic looks in cfb

Archived