Super Bowl XLVI Uniforms

Cujo

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe we can get a throwback Super Bowl? Would never happen...but it'd be fun to see:

05096653.jpg

irving-fryar.jpg

That'd be such a good looking game. I wouldn't wish for it in the Super Bowl, but next time the two meet in the regukar season, it'd be great to see this happen. LOVE the Pats' red pants, especially.

Also, sort of unrelated, but after looking at both of the previously posted Bills/Cowboys pictures, I have to say what a great uniform matchup those were. The two schemes and designs compliment each other very well.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

10472553-large.jpg

vs.

72522318_display_image.jpg

...would be a pretty good-looking game.

wpotd.png

Absolutely not!

While I don't mind the Giants early 00s roads, those Patriots jerseys were an absolute wreck back then and look even worse today. Quite possibly the worst uniform to ever be worn in a Super Bowl. Completely "uglified" Super Bowl 31 vs. the Packers.

historyppg-vertical.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

I'm planning to do a couple of blog posts regarding the Super Bowl logos from the past couple of seasons, but I thought I'd show the "National" and "Regional" primary grayscale marks from SB45 and SB46...there were some minor cosmetic changes between the two sets:

Super Bowl 45 - Grayscale / National version 1:

SuperBowl45_GRN1a_2011_SCC_SRGB.png

Super Bowl 45 - Grayscale / Regional version 1:

SuperBowl45_GRR1a_2011_SCC_SRGB.png

Super Bowl 46 - Grayscale / National version 1:

SuperBowl46_GRN1a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

Super Bowl 46 - Grayscale / Regional version 1:

SuperBowl46_GRR1a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

I dont wanna quote that because that will be too big of a post lol. But that should go in the concepts section..

The Giants tweeted a pic of the Super Bowl patches and decals.... no stadium in the background.

http://twitgoo.com/5cj3g4"]]http://twitgoo.com/5cj3g4

33dfm6e.jpg

Looks like the jerseys they are selling online are inaccurate...

Give it a few days, there will be more acurate stuff on Ebay.

Lets hope because these "Pro Line" jerseys look horrible

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Patriots have officially announced via Facebook that they will be wearing their home blue set. (If that hasn't already been confirmed here.)

Basically confirmed when the Giants announced they were wearing their (ugly) road whites.

10472553-large.jpg

vs.

72522318_display_image.jpg

...would be a pretty good-looking game.

wpotd.png

Absolutely not!

While I don't mind the Giants early 00s roads, those Patriots jerseys were an absolute wreck back then and look even worse today. Quite possibly the worst uniform to ever be worn in a Super Bowl. Completely "uglified" Super Bowl 31 vs. the Packers.

historyppg-vertical.jpg

+ some of the 1s. I love the Flying Elvis jersey as a garish mid-90s piece, but it's better in that era. It does look really bad next to the Pack's beauts, though.

I do think that the early 00's Giants roads are infinitely better than the crap they wear now, though.

spacer.png

The Pro Line jerseys are crap (as evidenced in my thread), so we can;t rely on them to be remotely accurate.

And as for SB uniform rematches, everyone is forgetting the SB XXX Cowboys-Steelers three-peat

Emmitt-Smith-Super-Bowl-XXX_photo_medium.jpg

On a different note, does anyone know anything about making vinyl decals/emblems? I'm wondering if it would be feasible to create an XLVI vinyl patch that would be more accurate than any of the eBay knockoffs...

I liked the Patriots uniforms in the 90's, but the number font and the hidden stripes were a couple of steps too far (overdesign was a common theme in 90's uniform design). The dynamic shoulder logos and thick, doubly-striped pants were awesome though.

Their logo was basically used as a UCLA stripe and I loved it. It certainly fits that space on the shoulder better than it does the space on the helmet.

I wish more teams used logos on the shoulders to this day. I can't really think of any that do in football today.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I still don't get how people could prefer the overpiped disaster the Patriots currently wear or the procession of bland, collegiate-looking uniforms (and that hideous helmet) they wore from the '60s to the '90s over the simple shadow-stripe look, but hey... to each his own, I guess.

Oh, I think the 90s Pats uniforms great and the current Patriots uniforms suck, but the 90s Pats uniforms are great for the 1997. Not for 2012. While I hate the current uniforms, they fit in better for 2012 than the Flying Elvis uniforms do.

Yes, they were great. Were. It was time to move on following the 2000 upgrade.

They should just go back to the 80s uniforms and be done with it.

spacer.png

I still don't get how people could prefer the overpiped disaster the Patriots currently wear or the procession of bland, collegiate-looking uniforms (and that hideous helmet) they wore from the '60s to the '90s over the simple shadow-stripe look, but hey... to each his own, I guess.

I think that the current Patriots uniforms look OK, but really not perfect. The shadow-stripe look was horrible IMO. It was too busy, I didn't like the shade of royal, it didn't go with the flying Elvis, and the Flying Elvis logo on the sleeves was WAY too big. While the side-piping that the Patriots wear right now is pretty odd, at least it matches up from pants to jersey.

The best possible changes for the Patriots have been illustrated in some concepts on this board. I can't remember all of them, but BMac's was fantastic, also DeFrank had a nice one.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I liked the Patriots uniforms in the 90's, but the number font and the hidden stripes were a couple of steps too far (overdesign was a common theme in 90's uniform design).

Fair enough, but I'd sooner point to their current uniforms as an example of overdesign. Unnecessary piping, dreary colors, non-matching socks, weirdly-shaped shoulder stripes, a borderline-unreadable custom font... their current set is a bland, ugly mess. It's almost like a caricature of every early-2000's overpiped uniform set.

The '90s shadow-striped uniforms had a lot of unique elements, but they all flowed well for the most part. The italic number font looked good with the sense of motion inherent in the Pat Patriot logo (I guess I could do without the drop shadow, though), the shadow stripes could have been an iconic element of the team's uniforms if they had stayed longer, and like you said, the Pat Patriot-as-stripe idea was genius. I preferred the 1993 pants stripes to the 1994-2000 pants stripes, but it looked good either way.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I saw this at Wal-Mart, I laughed.

Ykrge.jpg

hahahah. i did that to the one in scarbrough, ontario with my friend!

Ykrge.jpg

Ykrge.jpg

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Archived