2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

It's not that barren. We have Etem, Holland, and Palmieri who were all recent 1st round picks with 2nd line upside. We also have Sami Vatanen and Justin Schultz, one who is racking up the points in SM-liiga and won the Best Defenseman trophy, and the other who was nominated for the Hobey Baker as an underclassman. Then we also have John Gibson who was one of the top goalies in last year's draft. We're #9 on Hockey's Future, it's not like we're the San Jose Sharks.

You guys are crazy, we don't need a full rebuild. We have some decent prospects, a young core (RPG, Fowler, Sbisa), and a Goalie who has been pretty good in the past. All we need to do is start spending, and get some good vets to go along with our young core. We can be a good team, all we really need is a top pairing defenseman (or if Fowler can turn into a #1, build the D around him), and we need to figure out how we are going to construct our top 6. If Etem, Holland, or Palmieri can take a spot or two in the top 6, great, but if not, we need to sign a couple guys. If we can do that, we can be a contender.

We don't need to go full rebuild.

We've seen Palmieri. Tears up the AHL, but thus far, he's on track for a "Mediocre NHLers of the 2010s" thread. I'm not counting on him riding shotgun with/filling in for Teemu down the road. Holland was decent while he was up here, he has room to grow. Etem is the guy I'm most interested to see his growth. But He could still be a ways off. Same with Vatanen. Junior/Overseas records are nice, but you never know what you've got. Schultz I like. Gibson is still a long time from the NHL, for now. But really, that's a handful of guys, and not many that people are banging on the doors wanting to get in their system.

And I'm not calling for a full rebuild. We're not going to blow the whole damn thing up. What I'm calling for is to stop looking at this team the way people like you are looking at it. Yes the Ducks are great at the top, but they are EXTREMELY top heavy. You look at the 4-1 start, RPG/Hiller were playing great. The majority of the horrible season, they were slumping and we were losing. This recent hotstreak, RPG/Hiller are playing great again. And they're of course getting another agless season from Teemu and a decent season from Koivu and Cogliano. The depth is horrible. Secondary contributions are few and far between. Defensively, they're a little better, but they're having down seasons after career years for Visnovsky and Lydman (but I saw that coming). Sbisa and Beauchemin have been good. Brookbank and the revolving door of 7th defensemen have been AWFUL. Fowler is hitting a little of a sophomore rough patch with his +/-, but it doesnt help when the team isn't great and the goalies have been bad.

And to say all we need is a No. 1 defenseman and a constructed top 6 to be a contender is easy. You could say that about 2/3 of the league. Give any team good defensemen and a scoring top 6, watch they'll be good. That's a lot to ask and there's more than that. It's like I said earlier, hotstreaks and second half playoff surges like the Ducks had the past few seasons cover up the issues that they have. The Ducks 4th seed last season was a ruse. They were 2 points from 8th, 4 from 9th, and 5 from 10th. Then getting dismantled by the Predators of all teams showed how awful the depth was. When people like Jerred Smithson are taking you out in a playoff series, you have issues.

If the Ducks go on a similar run to the past few years and finish 11th and 10 points out or so, I bet you and Bob Murray will be saying that we were close again, if we dont have another crappy start, we'll be fine. Then nothing will change, we'll be optimistic for 2012-13, then suck again. I'd rather see that past the top six or seven players on our entire roster, there's a whole lot of mush that needs to be taken care of.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schenn and Kadri healthy scratches for tonight's Leafs vs. Sens. This, paired with Jake Gardiner being recalled after one game in the minors is causing a LOT of trade speculation in T.O.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

And now the NHL has its own version of Club Penguin.

EDIT: Turns out this was unveiled last year. I only just got the email.

It took that long to cross the Atlantic?!

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Ducks do not need to rebuild. In a few years they will be a contender again, just watch.

They shouldn't tear the whole thing down, no, but if they can move out their expiring contracts (pending approval from Koivu and Selanne) and fetch picks/prospects, they should. This can be done without moving Getzlaf or Ryan, who would be celebrated Franchise Cornerstones were they in numerous locales in or not in the league. They have an excellent core to build around, they just need things to build with. Save some money this year and get better for later.

EDIT:

http://www.nhl.com/i...ost.htm?id=5756

Because Hall's injury happened after Edmonton had submitted its official lineup, the Oilers will have only 17 skaters against Columbus.

The Oilers, done in by the cruelty of the bureaucracy. "Oh, terribly sorry that one of your players just had his face sliced open, but I am quite afraid that you have already submitted your Official Lineup!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

EDIT:

Because Hall's injury happened after Edmonton had submitted its official lineup, the Oilers will have only 17 skaters against Columbus.

The Oilers, done in by the cruelty of the bureaucracy. "Oh, terribly sorry that one of your players just had his face sliced open, but I am quite afraid that you have already submitted your Official Lineup!"

Scheduling injury lol

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

EDIT:

Wow, that's a whole new kind of dumb on the league's part. Why don't they have some kind of emergency provision for something like this? Surely today isn't the first time such an occurrence has happened.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

If he was his wearing helmet, which has a visor on it, he would have been fine. Scary incident indeed, I think the Rangers are the only team that makes it mandatory to wear a helmet during warmup.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Scary incident indeed, I think the Rangers are the only team that makes it mandatory to wear a helmet during warmup.

And that's yet another dumb thing on the league's part. Why are helmets not mandatory league-wide in practice?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3-2 Ottawa over the Leafs. Their second goal (to make it 2-2) was scored when Spezza was using Reimer as a sofa, no less. If the players have to face the media after games to man up and explain their mistakes, the league should make the officials grow some balls and talk about missed calls.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

And now the NHL has its own version of Club Penguin.

EDIT: Turns out this was unveiled last year. I only just got the email.

It took that long to cross the Atlantic?!

I just got the email, too.

Its called a joke...

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Wild are starting to look downright disgusting. They went from surprise team of the year back down into the basement, at this rate we will be passed by Columbus soon. I also don't see it getting any better soon. Koivu just went down and is out 4-6 weeks. Latendresse is out for who knows how long. Bouchard just went down with another Concussion. Everybody says we need to get more physical and I agree, they need to call up Matt Kassian. God I miss Boogaard :cry:

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Archived