Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what.......... I like it.

Black and white is an underused color combo in pro American sports.

Agreed. The color selection is about the only thing I like about the rebrand. All black uni's with a subtle gold trim would be perfect. But the logo, well that's a different story. It's letters and a generic basketball image. There is nothing iconic about that. Zero. Zilch. Nada. It is bland. Pure and simple.

A lot of talk here has circled around the new owners wanting to mimic the Yankees' simple, iconic image. That can never happen. The reason for the interlocking NY being iconic has nothing to do with the simplicity of it. It's because of the legacy of Babe and Joe and Lou et. al. It's because the team has been around for over a century and has won countless championships. It's become a global brand because of the accomplishments associated with the logo, not because of the logo itself. You don't just create that out of thin air by slapping a B on top of a basketball and encasing it in a shield.

I'm "okay" with the simplicity of the design, but There are still things I don't like about it. For one, It doesn't even specifically mention the "location" name (I know their old one didn't either, but you'd think they'd want to tout their new home a bit more than with just a "B"). Also, the more I look at it, the less it "flows." The shield and lettering are all flat and centered, but the ball is rendered in a position such that it not only seems 3D, but it also gives a certain amount of "directionality" (ie, I keep looking down and to the right because that's where the ball's seams are pointing).

That logo has all the personality of kris humphries.

Think before you speak. Kris Humphries is a good guy who got his reputation destroyed by them Kardashains.

As a lifelong New Jersey Nets fan, this logo makes me sad. At least they're still called the Nets

This logo makes me sad to because its so bland and empty. Seeing that snapback of the logo is now making me believe that this is the legit logo. I hope they have a good alternate logo because this is bland, boring, and hideous.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Pros: Clean and Simple (which is never a bad thing); Color scheme that isn't used very often; Staying power.

Cons: Boring as crap and the logo design.

Agree with all this, overall its just ok. Here's hoping the jerseys look good.

Kris Humpheries is not a good guy, known fact. Things I do like are the Nets script and the choice of black and white.

If you could back that up for me, fantastic. If you cannot, please think before you speak. I'd rather talk about the NJ Nets later tonight then right now. This is about the Brooklyn Nets leaked logo, not Kris.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

I'm "okay" with the simplicity of the design, but There are still things I don't like about it. For one, It doesn't even specifically mention the "location" name (I know their old one didn't either, but you'd think they'd want to tout their new home a bit more than with just a "B"). Also, the more I look at it, the less it "flows." The shield and lettering are all flat and centered, but the ball is rendered in a position such that it not only seems 3D, but it also gives a certain amount of "directionality" (ie, I keep looking down and to the right because that's where the ball's seams are pointing).

To me that is the biggest problem with the design. Its a generic image of a basketball with zero correlation with the rest of the logo. There's absolutely no synergy between this and the B superimposed on it. And the text all use straight lines with consistent widths whereas this ball uses wavy lines with varying line widths.

I think if they at least try to integrate it with the 'B' then it'd be a totally different story and people would not mind the simplicity.

I like the simplicity, but there's too much of it here. I like the black and white, though I wonder what Black/Athletic Gold would look like.

That said, if the Oklahoma City Thunder have taught me anything, it's that a logo does not an entire identity make--I'll wait until the uniforms are revealed to reserve any final judgement. While I despise OKC's abstract, what-the-hell-is-that-supposed-to-be logo, they have a good color scheme* and good uniforms (especially the homes).* Hopefully, the Nets follow that pattern.

*Both are likely unpopular opinions, though the uniforms nor the color scheme are quite perfect.

I see where it's going. I figured that the rebranding would be strongly influenced by current hip-hop fashion, and I can see the connexion. It fits the aesthetic. Funnily enough, it kind of reminds me of these lines of clothing I've seen that were big like five years ago, jackets and such, where there are a bunch of fake logos from different cities that just happen to be similar to actual NBA logos.

rATMcmK.png

Archived