Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they had incorporated the Brooklyn Bridge somehow. Its so recognizable, I think they could have came up with a nice subtle way to include it in the logo... maybe they thought that would be too much like Golden State's logo though.

It's still possible, all we know is the primary logo.

Tf9TG.jpg

I see where it's going. I figured that the rebranding would be strongly influenced by current hip-hop fashion, and I can see the connexion. It fits the aesthetic. Funnily enough, it kind of reminds me of these lines of clothing I've seen that were big like five years ago, jackets and such, where there are a bunch of fake logos from different cities that just happen to be similar to actual NBA logos.

You're correct. I can't speak Hip Hop in its entirety, and I don't know if Jay-Z has a lot of influence over the actual branding - but Jay-Z himself has been dressing in a pretty much exclusively dark navy, black, white palette for a while now. I suspected that if he had strong influence over the branding; that the branding would be navy, black & white (maybe a pinch of red).

Not a fan of the arial narrow font; I was almost sure they would try something cursive. I knew it would pretty much be a ball and/or hoop. I get that they were trying to make the B in the Ball iconic; but to me it just seems like a placeholder logo - much like the Thunder. I mean; I'm sure it's not a placeholder - they've had a long time to prepare something, and I think the intent is to make something minimal and iconic; but it really does look like a generic backup plan-like logo.

What's wrong with sports branding? The last semi-decent overhaul I remember was the Atlanta Hawks rebrand!

Of *course* it's "all black everything": that's the color of the illuminati. :P

If we're going to give credit/blame the logo's aesthetics on "hip hop fashion sensibilities," well, there's a resemblance to the Raiders' crest - which, next to the Yankees' NY, is arguably the most-worn sports logo in hip hop video history.

Let's not go down that road. The guy is still a professional and none of us were privy to the process he went through on his end, how much he got/gets paid, etc. You don't get to work on projects of this magnitude by accident. You can't knock the effort that people put into their work. Everyone wants their work to succeed, especially as a designer. I assure you it wasn't phoned in, no matter how much you want to believe it.

Judging by the guy's portfolio it would seem he owes his entire career to being friends with Jay-Z. So this is basically Jay-Z giving his buddy a job rather than seeking out the absolute best designer/company for the job.

I hope he's got some thick skin because if that's the logo the design community is going to come down hard on him when it's officially unveiled.

Whatever the case, you've got to give some credit to a kid who starts his own company and makes it visible enough for Rocawear to want to buy the company. You don't even know if he was friends with Jay-Z before that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Brooklyn-Nets-Barclays-Center-1.0.jpg

Sigh....what could have been...

I'm starting to think that the shield, "NETS", and basketball are legit, but I think that "B" is a fake. It looks like it has added and not part of the original art. I'm guessing the Monday logo will have a completely different "B".

I'm starting to think that the shield, "NETS", and basketball are legit, but I think that "B" is a fake. It looks like it has added and not part of the original art. I'm guessing the Monday logo will have a completely different "B".

Why would Jay-Z wear an incorrect version of the logo?

tumblr_m33mx3e5gu1qfgi90o1_500.jpg

Oh well. I was being hopeful. I don't hate it and I really like the simplicity of it, but that "B" could've been a lot better. Again, oh well. <_<

I know we all like simplicity, but for all the time the team had, couldn't they have come up with something a little more just "let's turn the shield to face forward, get rid of the hoop, change the colours to black and white and a different font. Add B. Done."

Considering the move is a pretty big deal, why not add something to say, "hey, we play in Brooklyn now."

That's my only problem with it (aside from wishing that they put the borough name on it, which seems to me to be kind of the point).

I they had created a distinctive B mark, as distinctive in its own way as the Dodgers' one was, this would be a gorgeous logo..

Agree, a unique and stylized B would've gone a long way.

he probably wouldnt. that is a photoshop mock up

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived