Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I...like it. It's a bit minimal but it at least seems like they're trying to build a brand just as much as an identity. But I can't really judge until I see what they do with the uniforms. If they just rip off the Spurs, I'll be VERY displeased but I could see them using pinstripes for some reason...

GR30a5H.png

The Nets will become internationally known as long as Jay Z is at the helm and pimping the brand through his empire.

"The Nets could go 0-for-82 and I'd still look at you like this :censored: gravy", and so on. Soon he'll be wearing the Nets logo and putting it on Rockawear gear, and it'll be a hit. Very lucrative.

Case in point - they've been selling black-and-white "HelloBrooklyn" T-shirts at the Manhattan NBA store, and the entire stock was soldout in a span of one day.

Apparently many people didn't even know that those shirts had to do with the Nets. The Brooklyn brand is just that powerful.

I...like it. It's a bit minimal but it at least seems like they're trying to build a brand just as much as an identity. But I can't really judge until I see what they do with the uniforms. If they just rip off the Spurs, I'll be VERY displeased but I could see them using pinstripes for some reason...

This is the most off-topic thing ever but....how come your banner doesn't mention the 2007 Championship the Spurs won?

Three biggest disgraces in sports this year:

3. Braves collapse

2. Red Sox collapse

1. Most Canucks fans actions this post-season

My $0.02 on a fix to the logo (plus a partial logo). Seems like some consensus among people is that the "B" needs to be memorable, a 3rd color needs to be added, and the city name needs to be present. I also added a slight nod to the crenelation of the Bridge.

BrooklynNetsFix.png

Now that is solid work my friend. I wish that the Nets were using that instead.

baltimoreravens.png

A quick paint job gave me this (which I think is a lot better then what came out):

7119520519_d31480924c_z.jpg

1) I think the dark blue ball on brighter red background looks odd. It has a photo-negative quality; the seams of the basketball should be darker than the panels.

2) You can't have that "B" - it's spoken for. :P But you've got the right idea - something that can stand on its own.

White Sox are white & Black so nothing far out there !! Just very base.

And silver.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

A quick paint job gave me this (which I think is a lot better then what came out):

7119520519_d31480924c_z.jpg

Honestly, I would be ok with this in Black & White.

Just wondering - We've already seen Miami with Black on Black. If NBA Properties could approve that without any worries over visibilty, I think with Jay-Z/Rocawear collaboration for BK Nets, we could see White on White (White Jersey, White Lettering & Numerals, thin Black outline)

NYCdog.png

This is the most off-topic thing ever but....how come your banner doesn't mention the 2007 Championship the Spurs won?

I...must be hoenst, I made the banner from back in 2005 and just haven't gotten around to updating it (not to mention I feel my design skills have improved greatly since the obvious high-school quality of it).

GR30a5H.png

Reminds me of the OKC generic uniform logo they had before the "Thunder" nickname arrived.

My thing is...let's be honest, it doesn't take a lot of work to create the actual design presented here. A lot of brainstorming, options, and other behind the scenes marketing went on...I understand that...but how much does an organization really pay for something that, in the end, could be created in 5 minutes in Illustrator?

Honestly, it was probably free, since it was basically funneled through the Rocawear creative dept., but that opinion is really disappointing to hear from a talented designer. If you can explain to me why something has to look like it took hours, days or weeks to create in order to have real value as a design, I'd love to hear it. Comments like this really devalue our profession, in my opinion. In fact, I'd argue a design that looks like it took less time to create, one that looks like there was less construction involved, is often a great solution, even better than a complex solution that looks like it took a lot of time, effort and focus to create, and I think I'd be backed up by some of the greatest people ever to call themselves designers on that assertion. Design at its purest form is about doing more with less. Something that looks easy to make is direct and comforting. It's familiar. There's a lot of work that goes into properly constructing and refining a simple logomark like a B inside a shield, but just because you can't tell that from looking at it doesn't mean it's an inferior design that's worth less than an illustrative logo like what they have now.

ArgDIucCMAE165S.jpg

Hey! I designed that shirt (the bottom right one with the BKLN subway tile mosaic). Glad to see it in a store. I haven't even seen it in real life.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Hey! I designed that shirt (the bottom right one with the BKLN subway tile mosaic). Glad to see it in a store. I haven't even seen it in real life.

Pretty cool, congrats man. I didn't know it was supposed to be subway tile mosaic, I respect it a lot more now knowing that. Overall, all of the gear has made the whole look seem much better in my eyes.

90758391980.gif

1) I think the dark blue ball on brighter red background looks odd. It has a photo-negative quality; the seams of the basketball should be darker than the panels.

2) You can't have that "B" - it's spoken for. :P But you've got the right idea - something that can stand on its own.

Agreed. When adidas was still working the project, the main focus (at least for me) was creating a unique but conservative B with an accompanying typeface. Black and gold was also coincidentally the color scheme they were pushing hardest. A lot of people are running with that scheme in this thread.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived