Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'll get no argument from me on that. I do give them credit for going b&w though. That takes BALLS. Even the spurs threw in silver.

Well considering the 'fiesta colors' before, just black and white would have been an upgrade:

e04ylwkfdofkr2ctlerjov26s.gif

Better use would be for a Tex Mex restaurant.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

You'll get no argument from me on that. I do give them credit for going b&w though. That takes BALLS. Even the spurs threw in silver.

Well considering the 'fiesta colors' before, just black and white would have been an upgrade:

Honestly, I kinda miss that.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

...and it also doesn't fix that awful "NETS" text. That S burns.

I really like the S. Rightly or wrongly, it feels hand-drawn and therefore much more interesting than a standard computer font.

It doesn't look hand-drawn to me at all; it looks computer-mangled.

Plus, I'm not sure I understand the fascination with hand-drawn errors being good.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I remember that thing. I was always dumbfounded by the fact that the fiesta colors werent on the unis. I was a kid. I was confused. Dont judge me.

I really like the S. Rightly or wrongly, it feels hand-drawn and therefore much more interesting than a standard computer font.

Plus, I'm not sure I understand the fascination with hand-drawn errors being good.

Well I think he's saying it gives it a real classic throwback feel as opposed to using a sharp obviously computer made font like bank gothic. Which is something that is rare now that everything is done using computers.

Maybe like comparing a 3d computer animated film to a film using cartoons or claymation. The cgi obviously is gonna look better, and mor polished but you can still appreciate the other options.

That's a great example - CGI animation versus Claymation.

Does the CGI look more polished? Yes. But does it look better? Rarely.

Hand-rendered letterforms have more personality than computer fonts bent and twisted in Illustrator. That's not always to say that they are to be preferred, but I rather like the S in this one.

PS. I'm wondering, how did they get Prokhorov to buy into all this?

"Famous rappers will wear this and get you all of the monies. HUMANGOUS BIG."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

PS. I'm wondering, how did they get Prokhorov to buy into all this?

"Famous rappers will wear this and get you all of the monies. HUMANGOUS BIG."

Prokhorov stroked his pygmy giraffe, thought about it, and then signed off on the idea.

As do I. I didn't care that the colors weren't on the uniforms - the fact it made for a vibrant, unique logo (and court, for that matter) was enough for me. I loved that about thier identity growing up.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

As do I. I didn't care that the colors weren't on the uniforms - the fact it made for a vibrant, unique logo (and court, for that matter) was enough for me. I loved that about thier identity growing up.

It was a weak logo. It had no real boundaries, was difficult to reproduce by hand, and the wordmark looked completely just slapped on after the fact. I do like the fiesta colors though, but they could really have been used better in the making of the logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

ArgHfuRCEAA3qYL.jpg

Interesting that there is one with a shield containing only a B. I think a simple jersey style would work best, but given the rather shocked comments of some people who've seen them, I wonder if they're going to do something Warriors-esque, with a shield outline containing the jersey number?

There's a certain charm to hand drawn lettering, but this particular lettering does not feel hand drawn to me in the least, because it's not. It's just the Akzidenz Grotesk font they're using that's been warped in Illustrator, which is why the bottom of the S looks so terrible. This would have been better if the lettering was hand drawn, which is how it should always be done, given the strange shapes that often result from using the Illustrator warp functions. It would still be clean, but the curves and shapes need to be massaged a human hand to look right on that arch. I like the characteristics of this font, but I probably would have drawn my own version of it from the beginning, which is something I often do.

Great hand drawn lettering: Jon Contino

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It's growing on me already, but the S still feels somewhat disconnected from the NET.

This was a huge problem I ran into designing wordmarks. N, E and T are so straight-edged and angular, then you have the curviest and most difficult to draw letter tacked onto the end, in addition to the undesirable negative space on either side of the T. It's a bear of a word, and rarely does it look good. 'Brooklyn' is so much better-looking in every way, and much easier to create good looking wordmarks for, but even it has it's own strange rhythm; the first four letters all have rounded shoulders, B, R, O and O, then the last four letters are all straight and angular, K, L, Y and N.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wait. So will their colors be black and gold?

No. That was the color scheme adidas was pushing as an alternative to the classic blue and white with red trim.

My question about all this is, what will the entire team font look like? Because usually most team fonts are not the fonts shown in the logo. I have a feeling the Nets are going to have a script font on their uniforms.

They will not have a script. NBA legal shot down the idea of using a Brooklyn script early in the process so that they didn't run into any potential legal battles with MLB and their notoriously strong defense of Brooklyn Dodgers trademarks (you can see the one I did if you click my Dribbble link below).

Archived