Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

That middle t-shirt (which is just fantastic) makes me wish they ditched the "NETS" word mark and just went with a large 'B' and the basketball behind it. Now THAT would have been nice.

I wonder if that's even possible for an NBA primary logo. Every single primary logo in the NBA shows the team name and I wonder if that's an NBA rule.

Primaries in the other three major leagues don't necessarily have to show any text whatsoever.

Almost every logo also lists the city name, which we were led to believe was an NBA mandate.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right idea, wrong execution. The font blows and that "S" is so painful to look at. The seams on the basketball look weird too. I definitely like the simplistic route, though.

Yep. The basic elements of the logo aren't terrible, but the execution is absolute beginner-level (or rough first draft just to get the idea across). Kind of amazing that no one involved in this project had the guts to stand up and tell the non-designer decision-makers that this is a terribly executed design.

I weep for my profession.

Indiana and Washington don't use names.

Can't see it being an issue.

But they do! Here are the Primary logos.

b3619brnphtx65s2th4p9eggf.gif3083.gif

The NBA makes it so that the team name must be in every logo. Incredibly stupid if you ask me.

A sports logo should be the identity of the franchise and if they have to put the city names in the logos, then I believe that the logo must be very weak.

spacer.png

There's much more that goes into the brand identity of a sports team than just a logo. That said, I do agree with the semantics of your point; however, if the L does indeed mandate that the team name be included in the designated primary logo, then there's really nothing any designer can do about that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Indiana and Washington don't use names.

Can't see it being an issue.

But they do! Here are the Primary logos.

b3619brnphtx65s2th4p9eggf.gif3083.gif

The NBA makes it so that the team name must be in every logo. Incredibly stupid if you ask me.

The logos look incomplete without a name to me, although sometimes it's forced, like with the Houston Rockets, or when text was slapped under chief wahoo.

Maybe it's because I'm a fan of the NBA first, but to me, a primary logo should have text; and without text it becomes more appropriate for a secondary logo. I grew up in the '80s, and as far as I can remember, nearly every MLB and NBA primary logo contained the team name. And that includes the Yankees. The only exceptions that come to mind was the utterly horrible Mariners "M's" logo. And a couple of cases where text was forced in awkwardly - Cleveland Indians and Dallas Mavericks. The fact that few NFL teams had a real "primary" logo was disappointing and remains so today. We're left with awkwardness using the Browns helmet, or a disembodied Chargers bolt.

i love the old spurs unis. and the heat blackouts too. i wonder if the nets will go this route?

george-gervin.jpg

black on black

I like those spurs unis as well. I think the nets could look good in something like that. Off topic but why is there love for these but so much hate for the heat black on blacks. They are essentially the same idea. Is it the shiny fabric?

It's definitely growing on me. I thought it was a joke at first but I have to be honest, I kind of dig the simplicity of it. I don't know of any team that has tried to do a black/white color scheme.

I don't like it.

It insists upon itself.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Although the logo does not completely scream "Brooklyn", I like the leaked logo for the Brooklyn Nets mainly for its cleanliness and simplification as opposed to the previous logo incarnations which easily conveyed that the Nets were trying to do too much. Remember, this is the team that brought you these "fine quality" logos:

5992.gif

That was a great classic logo

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm sure people have beaten me to this, but was it that hard to get the rights to the "Dodgers B"?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm sure people have beaten me to this, but was it that hard to get the rights to the "Dodgers B"?

I would say it couldnt have been easy because the dodgers have no reason to give some other franchise the right to use an icon they still make a profit from. Im sure they make a killing on brooklyn dodgers throwbacks and hats with that B on it

They sure do - no way they're licensing it to another team.

Off topic but why is there love for these but so much hate for the heat black on blacks. They are essentially the same idea.

Because the Spurs' black-on-black uniform manages to use all the team colors. The Heat's doesn't.

I would say it couldnt have been easy because the dodgers have no reason to give some other franchise the right to use an icon they still make a profit from. Im sure they make a killing on brooklyn dodgers throwbacks and hats with that B on it

the common person would just assume its a boston "B" so i think it was a good decision not to do that. but i am not saying the b they chose is the best, because its not, and reads to much like a block 8

Indiana and Washington don't use names.Can't see it being an issue.
But they do! Here are the Primary logos.b3619brnphtx65s2th4p9eggf.gif3083.gifThe NBA makes it so that the team name must be in every logo. Incredibly stupid if you ask me.

The Bulls don't have it...in fact this logo reminds me of Anthony Davis

chicago-bulls2.gif

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Except that's not their primary. This is:

hj3gmh82w9hffmeh3fjm5h874.gif

Every team has the team name in the primary logo, and the only teams without the city/state/location on their primary the Pacers and Wizards. The New Jersey Nets also didn't say New Jersey, and technically the Brooklyn Nets doesnt say Brooklyn, but it does have the B. Heck, hardly any of the defunct NBA teams on the site dont have city/team written on the logo.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

They took down their site for the changover, but I was able to get around the "hello brooklyn" welcome page.

My link

This is the banner at the top:

mastheadhdr_001.jpg

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

This was a huge problem I ran into designing wordmarks. N, E and T are so straight-edged and angular, then you have the curviest and most difficult to draw letter tacked onto the end, in addition to the undesirable negative space on either side of the T. It's a bear of a word, and rarely does it look good. 'Brooklyn' is so much better-looking in every way, and much easier to create good looking wordmarks for, but even it has it's own strange rhythm; the first four letters all have rounded shoulders, B, R, O and O, then the last four letters are all straight and angular, K, L, Y and N.

It was a massive mistake to keep the Nets name for a Brooklyn team. I'm sure there's a proper linguistic term for it, but with Brooklyn ending in an n and Nets beginning with one you either have to take a full beat between the words ("Brooklyn. Nets.") or it sounds like Brooklynettes, which makes them sound like they're Brooklyn's version of the Rockettes. In fact, the -ette suffix refers to a feminine version of something ("bachelorette") or something that is smaller ("kitchenette"). Probably not what you want your big bad NBA team to sound like.

Perhaps I should've taken that naming mistake as a sign that this wasn't going to end well in any way, just like it has.. But best of luck to the Brooklynettes.

Oh, and yes.. Nets is a pain in the ass word. It's very hard to make it look good (especially in caps), and you can't really do much with it visually either as far as a logo goes. They should've ditched it, damn it.

The word you're looking for to describe, say, the "n" sound in "aloneness" versus the "n" sound in "bonus" is gemination.

Linguistics, yet another handy hobby to have. :)

rATMcmK.png

Archived