2013 Houston Astros Uniforms

Bouj

Houston Chronicle

It was obviously coming, and now it's official, from owner Jim Crane himself.

?We?ll blend some of the new with the history of the team and some of the colors in the past,? Crane said.

?We?ve selected it all and we?re about to submit it. We?re due in on the 30th, so everything?s set to go to baseball for approval.?

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My expectations here are high, maybe too high. Anything is better than what they have now, which looks alright on its own but just doesn't work for a team called the Astros.

My main worry is that they brought back the orange and blue but lightened the blue in order to allow for the addition of black into the set. I hope they prove me wrong, but it's a sneaking suspicion that I have and I don't like it. Time will tell.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

So orange navy & red trim or red navy & orange trim ?

I'm guessing it's gonna look a lot like the shooting star jerseys (from Dierker's description), but navy/orange/red in some combo. Probably safe to say the black is being eliminated. They may use sand as some sort of accent possibly.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

maybe Navy/orange/brick/sand??

I just really really really hope pinstripes are nowhere to be found and that they aren't what hes referring o when he says "new history".

and i really wish i was part of those focus groups, where could i have signed up??

>>>>>

"We'll blend some of the new with the history of the team and some of the colors in the past," Crane said.

Those were pretty much the exact words used by Tom Donahoe before the Buffalo Bills unveiled their then-new uniforms back in 2002, and we all know how that turned out. Yikes!!

For the Astros sake, I hope they use the ones 'based' on the ones below, maybe just slightly tweak them a bit. Those looked great when they were worn on a Flashback Friday.

That multiple colored stripe design they wore in the 70s and 80s were dreadful IMO.

7143823017_d6a8951bf1_o.jpg

575075_10151624310245431_91703305430_23674270_948832701_n.jpg

I think it'll be a HUGE mistake if they don't go with that cap. It looks great and'll sell 10000x better than the current one because you can actually wear it casually.

I'm sure they will though and wouldn't be surprised if they went with that one and the orange version.

I think it'll be a HUGE mistake if they don't go with that cap. It looks great and'll sell 10000x better than the current one because you can actually wear it casually.

I'm sure they will though and wouldn't be surprised if they went with that one and the orange version.

Yeah, I'm hoping they bring back the H-star logo on the caps. Although I actually like their current star logo, the old one just "feels" better seeing on a cap for some reason.

Those were pretty much the exact words used by Tom Donahoe before the Buffalo Bills unveiled their then-new uniforms back in 2002, and we all know how that turned out. Yikes!!

And that's the first thing I thought of when I read that ominous quote (not Donahoe saying that, but those Bills jerseys). All in all, combining colors of different eras is pretty horrible. Teams should almost never have more than four primary colors (including white). It's okay to feature other colors in logos, but teams need to pick color schemes which work and don't muddle things. Don't just mash two shades of blue, red and silver together because the team worse shades similar to those 40 years apart. Don't roll out navy, orange, brick and sand uniforms to "honor" different eras. Decide on the best look and go with it. Brick could be incorporated with the navy and orange if they went with the tequila sunrise unis (which they shouldn't), but there absolutely shouldn't be a superflous brick outline around an orange oultine like the Bills stupidly throwing navy into their mostly-good current set. Also, sand would muddle things further. It wouldn't serve a purpose. Whatever they would possibly make sand should just be white, because stark white uniforms really go with the whole clean, futuristic idea, like a space suit.

Reading Crane's quote sure dampened my enthusiasm. I don't know what they could possibly take from the past 12 years. The wordmarks are poor and don't work for the Astros, and the team should be wearing navy and orange. Sure, they made their only World Series appearance during that era, but that doesn't mean Houston needs to constantly be reminded of those bad uniforms. Maybe they could keep the current star and incorporate it into the H and/or star stream? Maybe they will go with the '90s script and toss a star over it? I hope not. This should be less "combining eras" and more "making classic but modern uniforms inspired by a past era."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If they keep anything from the current uniforms next year, I hope it's the star. I think that's the only positive thing they could take away from the current set. I'm not quite sure if it's better or not than the old H-star hat logo, but it's the only thing I don't think would look horrible. And I'm not concerned too much with what the owner said. To me, it's just him trying to get fans excited about the new uniforms.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm glad the Astros are choosing to honor their history as they leave the National League after 50 years and commence a new era of clumsy year-long interleague play. Maybe their Joe Morgan-era-inspired uniforms will propel them to the AL #2 Wild Card.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You don't want to know the things I would do to see them embrace the colt .45's era.

But I sure do like the shooting star uniform that Art n' Social posted about above. I would be quite pleased if this one ends up anything like the Jays.

- Jake

Edit: I wonder how the shorts will look in the with uniform. hmmmmmm

astros_shorts.jpg

After seeing the shooting star jerseys in action, I've changed my mind on them and I think they should go back to that as much as possible. Perhaps they could add the Texas flag like they had during the Colt .45 days and perhaps have NOBs, but I really liked what I saw.

After seeing the shooting star jerseys in action, I've changed my mind on them and I think they should go back to that as much as possible. Perhaps they could add the Texas flag like they had during the Colt .45 days and perhaps have NOBs, but I really liked what I saw.

Just noticed everyone on your FW Cats sig. That would be sweet.... :lol:

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Here's rooting for a navy + orange + gold scheme, navy and/or orange hats, use either the current open star (re-colored) or a modernized H-star...

No more black, brick, sand or pinstripes, please...

And no "Astros" script!!!

Archived