Logos/uniforms you would bring back

kajeet

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take pretty much anything Washington wore in the past over what they have today.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That's not true. They were always the North Stars. I was common for fans to call them "Stars" the entire time. Having "Stars" on the jersey was like the Timberwolves using "Wolves".

You're 100% correct .... error on my part in the way I phrased that ...

What I meant was that they took the 'N' for North out of the logo during their last 2 seasons in Minnesota and changed their logo to a different styled star with the STARS word-mark above it.

That's not true. They were always the North Stars. I was common for fans to call them "Stars" the entire time. Having "Stars" on the jersey was like the Timberwolves using "Wolves".

You're 100% correct .... error on my part in the way I phrased that ...

What I meant was that they took the 'N' for North out of the logo during their last 2 seasons in Minnesota and changed their logo to a different styled star with the STARS word-mark above it.

yeah, in hindsight, I should have seen it as a warning sign. I should have also bought up all the "N-Star" stuff I could find. Instead I waited for the "new stuff".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yep, for all intents and purposes, there were no major changes made to the uniforms when the North Stars moved to Dallas.

NorthStars19.png

Stars01.png

It's funny, that look is so linked to Dallas, but it looked real good for Minnesota too. I mean, their classic looks were better, but those uniforms were sharp no matter who wore them.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Agreed on the Stars and Bruins. Disagree on the others.

(2)

I agree on the Stars and Bruins too.

I'd agree on the Sabres if they had used the alternate logo instead of that retched Buffaslug logo

sabres06_alt-concept_away.jpg

sabres06_alt-concept_hm.jpg

Hey, if you can have 2 different 'SOX' teams in MLB, no reason why you couldn't have 2 different STARS teams in the NHL

The North Stars moved to Dallas in 1993, and Minnesota was granted an expansion team in 1999, after marketing and branding had become central to not only teams, but to entire leagues. There was no way two teams in the same league in the late 20th century were going to use names that both used the same word, using similar colour schemes. Teams these days just aren't willing to "dillute" their own brand like that by allowing a team in the same conference much less the same league to have such a similar brand to their own. Hypothetically speaking MLB wouldn't allow two teams to develop "Sox" based names if they both entered the Majors in the last thirty years or so.

Also, "Lone Stars" as the name of sports team is kind of terrible. By definition if something is "lone" there's only one. Hockey, on the other hand, is a team sport.

Just to cut this off before it comes up, there have been multiple north stars, making the name "North Star" a suitable name.

Ice, The Minnesota North Stars used Kelly green, a totally different shade of green that the Dallas Stars have been using for 20 years. The current logo and shade of green (what's left of it) is totally different shade from their origins.

I said similar colours, not the same colours. A team called the "Lone Stars" wearing forest green, old gold, and black with a star-themed logo would be to close for a team named the North Stars in the same league who wear kelly green, athletic gold, and black with a star-themed logo. We're all uniform junkies, we see the clear difference between between kelly green/athletic gold and forest green/old gold. To most people though? It's way to close, and no league would allow two teams to dilute their brands by having brands that similar. The Red Sox and White Sox only got away with it because they both came about in the early 20th century. What worked then wouldn't work now, or even twenty years ago.

Just because I suggested the Dallas Stars who removed the 'North' two seasons before leaving Minnesota, and should of renamed themselves the Dallas 'Lone Stars' doesn't mean since it's a 'lone' star you can't use it on a team. There's plenty of teams without plural nouns as nicknames. Chicago Fire, Miami Heat, Minnesota Wild, Stanford Cardinal, New England Revolution, etc, etc ...

Those names are singular names. That's not the same as implying only one of what the name is. A revolution, for example, always comprises of multiple individuals. Heat and Fire are more nebulous terms, but even then the names themselves aren't a contradiction.

By placing the word "lone" before a noun you are, by definition, stating that the noun is singular. Technically speaking you can't have more then one "lone star," which makes it a terrible name for a sports team.

And yeah, Texas is the Lone Star State, and that's fantastic. Thing is, it's the only state with that nickname. It would be rather ridiculous if, say, Oklahoma decided it was going to be the "Lone Star State" too, and they got together with Texas to market themselves as the "Lone Star States." It's the same thing with a team naming themselves the "Lone Stars."

and pertaining to the part you wrote that I put in bold .... have you not noticed that Tampa Bay Lighting's new color scheme is identical to the Maple Leafs?? I can't believe the Leafs didn't raise a fight over that one. Pittsburgh looked way too much like Boston when they went to Black & yellow, at least they've since switched to Vegas gold to differentiate their identity from the Bruins.

The difference is that the Lightning don't use the words "Leaf," "Leaves," or "Leafs" in their branding. If they switched to blue and white and named themselves the Tampa Bay Oak Leafs then yeah, there would be a problem. While the Lighting's use of the Leafs' shade of blue coupled with white with a similar striping pattern is annoying, it's not the same thing as two teams named "Stars" with similar colour schemes existing in the same league. Same goes with the Penguins adopting black and athletic gold.

Also I'm pretty sure the Penguins losing black and athletic gold had nothing to do with Boston. I'm pretty sure it all boiled down to Mario Lemieux's preference when it came to what shade of gold he liked.

I totally understand the irony in pluralizing Lone Stars. Nevertheless, I don't think it would be that bad. They did what they did, and so be it now, but I would have been OK with "Lone Stars". Maple Leafs, being grammatically incorrect...

How many times does it need to be said? "Maple Leafs" is not grammatically incorrect.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/leaf

Those Stars uniforms were terrible and mismatched.

They were hardly mismatched. Sure one has a yoke while the other has sleeve stripes but it's still a congruent set. Also happens to be the best look in Dallas Stars history (not North Stars though).

(2)

I agree on the Stars and Bruins too.

I'd agree on the Sabres if they had used the alternate logo instead of that retched Buffaslug logo

sabres06_alt-concept_away.jpg

sabres06_alt-concept_hm.jpg

The alternate "B-Sword" logo is not strong enough to be a primary crest. As a shoulder patch, it's fine. Bring back the Red Black jerseys from the 90's

The alternate "B-Sword" logo is not strong enough to be a primary crest. As a shoulder patch, it's fine. Bring back the Red Black jerseys from the 90's

Looked too much like a goat ... 'twas an awful logo (IMO)

28.gif

20110304-112931.jpg

Any of these throwbacks, most specifically the second to the left as that has always been my favorite Angels look. Their current look is awful IMO.

Time to bust out my broken record player....

The current look is the best they've had, logo-wise. If they take their current logos/wordmarks and just work in more navy, the Halos would look so much better.

28.gif

Looks absolutely nothing like a goat (left). In fact it looks more like a Buffalo than any logo they've had. The one in the classic logo looks like a non-descript white blob while the slug looks like... a slug.

zsabresgoat.png

Lots to choose from...here's round one: Football

To anyone that knows me around here, this first one comes as no surprise.

Best Rams uniform ever.

they barely ever wore their blue jerseys which I think look sharp.

Look how angular the ram horns were in the front of the helmet ... too bad they ruined that.

5029232.jpg4349633.jpg

Yeah, I liked their blue jerseys too but I wish they had used the same stripes as the white jerseys. Do that and it's the perfect football uniform. Here's another shot of the rarely seen blue jerseys.

I agree on the helmet stripes as well. That version of the Rams helmet was the best helmet in the league.

phil_olsen_1971_07_31.jpg

Your photo looks great, taken in the sunshine.

They should make the old '65-'71 version their throwback uniforms instead of the royal blue with bright yellow, but they probably won't because they won't wanna look like the Los Angeles Rams as long as they're in St Louis ... If they should move back to LA, this would be the perfect look, they'd look like the LA Rams again.

Stripes on the navy jerseys could easily be removed and tweaked to resemble the white jerseys. Paint the helmets like they used to in the old photos, no more decals .. they just ruin the Ram look. Love that old angular look.

Back in the day, they rarely ever wore the blue, always white at home like Dallas. Probably were just seen on the road if playing at Dallas, Cleveland, Baltimore Colts. New Orleans made them wear the blue jerseys at least once when they played at Tulane Stadium from the photo I posted above.

I liked the Disney angels myself.

20110304-112931.jpg

Why are they leaving out the "Disney Angels" uniforms out of this photo? To many, that was their best set ever.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

28.gif

Looks absolutely nothing like a goat (left). In fact it looks more like a Buffalo than any logo they've had. The one in the classic logo looks like a non-descript white blob while the slug looks like... a slug.

zsabresgoat.png

There's SEVERAL kinds of goat species, too many to count .... all I know is that alot of Sabres fans refer to that late 90s and early 00s look as the goat logo.

I once attended the NY State Fair in Syracuse, they had so many different kinds of chickens, goats, pigs, etc .... There was a chicken there that looked like a french poodle.

I don't mock you for liking that logo, to each his or her own .... I've hated the current logo since Day 1 back in 1970, while it seems the majority of Sabres fans love it and are glad they gave it a slight tweak and brought it back. Myself, as I said earlier, I like the prior alternate 'B' logo with the Sabre sword stuck through it. I think it would have made a great primary logo.

Archived