2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Chip's an east coast guy. Philly would be more likely

I wouldn't mind him in Jax next season. Where ever he goes, I'll be interested.

The only reason the Bucs hired Greg Shiano was because Chip Kelly said no to them.

I think he is still trying to win a National Title at Oregon, but the second he gets that notch on his buckle, I think he's gone. Where he'll end up I don't know, but I think he would be near or at the top of more then one team's list if he were to become available.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think just about any vacant spot would be interested. What spots could be free this offseason?

Jax

KC

Cleveland

Philadelphia

Dallas

New Orleans

Who else? Carolina? I know they just fired their GM.

I'm 85% sure Mularkey will be a one and done. I am hoping for little competition for the Jags. Maybe a top pick can attract a good GM. A good GM might entice a wanted coach.....maybe....I do know Gene Smith (current GM) is toast.

*Waits for the Jon Gruden pining*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Reid's early-2000s success was mostly thanks to Jim Johnson and a defense containing guys that were drafted and signed during the Rhodes era (Douglas, Dawkins, Trotter, Taylor, Vincent), plus Staley (1997) and Tra Thomas (1998) were drafted before Reid arrived. Reid's major additions were McNabb, Akers and Runyan, and eventually Sheldon Brown, Trent Cole and that 1.5 years of TO. His drafts have been brutal, and 3/4 of his FA signings and trades have been busts. 2002 was their best chance at a Lombardi and they choked against Tampa Bay. <_<

I'm glad someone else sees this.

------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news, here's a heartwarming story out of Indianapolis. In a joint effort to show their support for their head coach Chuck Pagano as he goes through his second round of lieukemia treatments, the entire team shaved their heads. The entire...team.. It'll never make headline news in any sports news outlet, but it definitely should be told.

Oh-and this just in: this kid Andrew Luck, you might have heard of him...yeah, he's pretty good.

(And my, what three years will do...four years ago I'd have been supporting my home-state Jaguars in this rivalry match. For the past three years, it's been the other way around. Can't pinpoint exactly when I became a quasi-Colthead, but so far it's been a fun ride regardless.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

http://www.grantland...uch-help-itself

Fairly interesting. I see a parallel to erstwhile Bears GM Jerry Angelo in their common tendency to outsmart themselves with how they scour the 1-AAs and below: yes, it's smart to take a chance on the guys who play where no one is watching; no, it isn't smart to do so in the first two rounds when they'll be there for you in the sixth. It was always Abilene Christian with the Bears. More Northwestern and Vanderbilt guys than average, too, which are BCS schools in name but let's be real.

Incidentally, I don't think Angelo has found work yet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://www.grantland...uch-help-itself

Fairly interesting. I see a parallel to erstwhile Bears GM Jerry Angelo in their common tendency to outsmart themselves with how they scour the 1-AAs and below: yes, it's smart to take a chance on the guys who play where no one is watching; no, it isn't smart to do so in the first two rounds when they'll be there for you in the sixth. It was always Abilene Christian with the Bears. More Northwestern and Vanderbilt guys than average, too, which are BCS schools in name but let's be real.

Incidentally, I don't think Angelo has found work yet.

I can't wait for Khan to truly start leaving his mark. I expect a clean slate this offseason. Gene Smith is an idiot who got far because he is a "nice guy" who worked for a "nice guy". I hope Khan is nothing like Weaver when it comes to hiring decisions.

In other news, here's a heartwarming story out of Indianapolis. In a joint effort to show their support for their head coach Chuck Pagano as he goes through his second round of lieukemia treatments, the entire team shaved their heads. The entire...team.. It'll never make headline news in any sports news outlet, but it definitely should be told.

Yeah, it'll never make headline news in any sports outlet. Except maybe all of them.

ESPN: Colts shave heads for Pagano

USA Today: Colts shave their heads to support Chuck Pagano

Sports Illustrated: Colts Go Bald in Support of Chuck Pagano

CBS Sports: Luck Joins Colts' Hairless Club, Shaves Head to Show Support for Pagano

Yahoo Sports: Over two dozen Colts players shave their heads in support of Chuck Pagano

The heartwarming story is well told. ;)

That's good to know that story got out (hey, I stay cooped up in a Peterbilt all day & all week—I don't get to access the outside world all that much! :P)...typically something like that gets buried a page or two (or a link or two) behind or below the top story. Let ia player get hit for DUI or violating a substance abuse policy...that'd have been right out on front street, and we all know it.

Still...cool show of team unity and selflessness regardless (especially considering how sensitive some men are about their hair).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think/hope Cowher will end up in San Diego. Just a hunch.

Do you think there is a chance for Chip Kelly?

I'd take him as offensive coordinator, but he's nowhere near proven enough to cut it as an NFL head coach.

This from an anonymous NFL exec last week:

Chip Kelly has only been a head coach for four seasons at the collegiate level, but he has already established a sterling résumé. He has captured three Pac-10/Pac-12 titles and his team is currently undefeated and ranked No. 2 in the nation. He turned down the Tampa Bay Buccaneers job last offseason, but will likely have another NFL opportunity in 2013. His up-tempo offense would need some alterations to work at the NFL level, but his organizational skills and creativity will be very attractive to NFL owners. NFC executive: ”He runs the best practices I’ve ever seen. I would hire him in a second if I ever had the opportunity.”

6uXNWAo.png

I guess I'm not all that sold on him bringing his offense to the NFL. Obviously it's well-designed and he gets his players to execute it very well, but it also helps a whole lot when you recruit backs that are flat out faster and linemen that are more athletic than everyone you play against. Oregon is really fun to watch so I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I wouldn't take a shot on him if I were an owner.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived