2012-13 NBA Season Thread

Cujo

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just move em already and bring us the A's!

It's just sad what has happened to the Kings. I was shopping at a couple of places on Tuesday(they played the Warriors that day), I saw 0 people wearing Kings stuff. People were decked out in 49er red and some were wearing Giants clothes. People are just disillusioned with the team thanks to the Maloofs, and aren't proud of the team at all. On the other hand, the 49ers and Giants have given their fans a reason to be happy and excited about them. Hell, I saw some Raider stuff and even a Warrior jersey that day.

A few weeks ago, Lakers jerseys were all over the mall when the Kings hosted them. Apathy has grown big time in the Sacramento fan base. If this is what the Maloofs set out to do, then they must be proud of themselves(This is probably what they wanted). They are the Gary Bettman of owners, just destroying what they have.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I just went to Barclays to watch the Nets play the Sixers and I have to say that the arena itself looks good, and the way the seats are set up it seems that anywhere in the arena was a good but that was the most boring game I have ever seen live (and I saw a Nets game in Jersey during the pre-Kidd days).

The game itself was not very exciting to watch as it appeared to me that the two teams were going through the motions with no real passion until the end. I know people are going to say it is because I am not a fan of either team but I was rooting for the Sixers in that game.

However the worst thing for me had to be the crowd atmosphere. The building was about 80% full with about a 1/3 or 1/4 Philly fans. There was not Net fan in my entire row which was funny for me even though it was one of the smaller rows. The crowd was pretty quiet throughout except for a few moments. In the 1st quarter everyone in my row was talking about how quiet the crowd was as you could hear a pin drop where we were. The other thing I noticed was that the "Broooooklyyn" chants were all prompted by the PA which was not organic or spontaneous. In fact almost everything the crowd did was prompted by through the PA system.

With that being said though I would go again to see them play the Knicks, Heat, Thunder, Clippers, etc as the stadium is very nice, has good view of the court, and is cheaper than MSG.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I never want to see the BIG uniforms again after today.

Bonfire.jpg

Cant agree more

Some didn't look too bad. The Heat, Nets, Celtics, Nuggets and Knicks I'd argue looked good to decent. But the Thunder, Lakers, Clippers, Rockets and Bulls I thought looked just downright hideous and I have to agree that its an idea that needs to go the way of the dodo and never be seen again.

That along having to see Justin Bieber on my TV put a bit of a damper on what was otherwise a good basketball day.

I thought the Rockets, Heat, Celtics, and Nets had the best Christmas uniforms, while the Clippers, Thunder, and Bulls had the absolute worst.

The Clippers' team name, NOB, and numbers were downright unreadable in just about any camera shot. In motion, it looked like they were wearing blank red jerseys. Similar story for the Bulls and Thunder. Bad idea, Stern, please don't repeat it next year.

That being said, I do like the idea of an orange alternate uniform for the Knicks, in full color with the regular trim of course.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Just move em already and bring us the A's!

It's just sad what has happened to the Kings. I was shopping at a couple of places on Tuesday(they played the Warriors that day), I saw 0 people wearing Kings stuff. People were decked out in 49er red and some were wearing Giants clothes. People are just disillusioned with the team thanks to the Maloofs, and aren't proud of the team at all. On the other hand, the 49ers and Giants have given their fans a reason to be happy and excited about them. Hell, I saw some Raider stuff and even a Warrior jersey that day.

A few weeks ago, Lakers jerseys were all over the mall when the Kings hosted them. Apathy has grown big time in the Sacramento fan base. If this is what the Maloofs set out to do, then they must be proud of themselves(This is probably what they wanted). They are the Gary Bettman of owners, just destroying what they have.

Hate to say it, but that apathy has hit me big time this year I'd been a big Kings fan since the day I started following the NBA. But the way the Maloofs have ruined the franchise off and on court has completely turned me off to the Kings. I don't even bother following them regularly anymore. I think it's because I feel like they're gone already anyway so why bother.

It's easier to get a new coach who will implement a system that fits your All-Star point guard than it is to get an All-Star point guard that will fit your coach's system.

Surprising that it happened right now, but it makes some sense.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm hearing the rumors, and I can tell you right now there is NO CHANCE that Phil Jackson takes the Brooklyn job. The Nets are not "elite" enough. There are no first-ballot hall of famers on the squad. They aren't on the cusp of a title. And if he were actually interested, his list of demands to coach team like the Nets would be way too high. For starters, Phil would probably ask to open for Jay-Z, and for one night with Beyonce.

6uXNWAo.png

It's easier to get a new coach who will implement a system that fits your All-Star point guard than it is to get an All-Star point guard that will fit your coach's system.

Surprising that it happened right now, but it makes some sense.

The first part of that shouldn't be true. There always needs to be some compromise between what the coach wants and what the star player wants. That may mean one person has to come over further then the other as is the case in most compromises, but to say that it can't work is just not good enough and it should reflect poorly on at least one party involved.

That being said, I'm not sure if its necessarily all on Deron Williams for Avery Johnson being shown the door. I do think alot of people will assume it is because the guy has earned the reputation of a coach killer because of what happened with him and Jerry Sloan in Utah. There's arguments for both sides. I've never heard Deron Williams speak of anything other then praises for Avery Johnson. I haven't seen anything to suggest there might be serious tension between the two. But at the same time you do have to take into account his history with Jerry Sloan and if you can read between the lines that is the story that alot of the media are going with even without saying it.

My own somewhat biased view is Deron Williams is one of the most overrated players in the NBA. I think he's one of the those players that only cares about his stat line and what his Q rating is. As long as he gets his 20 points and 10 assists without many turnovers he's happy. But he's become a very inefficient shooter in recent years, he's bad defender even by point guard standards and I would say makes little to no effort to get rebounds. That's the impression I get from him. I don't think he's a bad player by any stretch, but I can't put him up there with guys like Paul, Westbrook, Rose, Wall, Nash and Irving because those guys either do the things that Deron Williams doesn't do, are better at the things WIlliams does do and in the case of someone like Chris Paul is just as good or better then Deron Williams at everything.

But he's being paid like he's in that group of point guards and I even said last year if I were the Nets I would have let Deron Williams walk even if it meant taking a step back for a year or two. He's not worth it in the long run and they gave him a 4/5 year max contract deal. The only argument I could make for the deal is that he's a popular enough player around the league to attract other free agents that wouldn't otherwise come. If that's the case then it might be worth it, but that's more of a tangible quality is really difficult to measure and virtually impossible I would say if your not "in the know" with what goes on in the day to day world of the NBA. My impression of it is I think the city of New York is more then enough of a selling point to attract free agents. If guys are going out of their way to play for Donald Sterling just so they can be in LA, they'll put up with most anything, so I think alot of that stuff is overrated even if its holds true in some cases.

Overall I can't say I agree with the decision to fire Avery Johnson. I don't know who the Nets are going to get to replace that can be considered an upgrade outside of Phil Jackson. Are they bring in Jerry Sloan given his past problems with Williams? Stan Van Gundy when they're still trying to attract Dwight Howard? Mike Brown? Convince Mike Fratello to come out of broadcasting? Convince Jeff Van Gundy to do the same? Stick with PJ Carlesimo who's been riding that '89 NCAA title appearance with Seton Hall his whole career? I just don't see a real solution coming out of firing Avery Johnson at least in the short run.

Carlesimo is pretty much agreed to be a terrific assistant coach, he's just a terrible head coach. That's why Crewcut Clay installed him to put the finishing touches on the Sonics.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is so hilarious; Wade gets suspended for 1 game for his nutshot...and the whole Heat franchise is b***tching about it. This after LeBron (the NBA's preferred lapdog) gets 2 weeks before his next personal foul call. If there was any more reason to hate the Heat, this is it:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8788308/miami-heat-fire-back-nba-suspension-dwyane-wade

Archived