2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

This may be nothing but the guys from Brandiose had free seats to last nights padres game. Possible rebrand in the works? They are known supporters of the old colors.

padres_zps413d6ff2.png

It would be nice, but I fear that the mismatch of the old colors with the colors of Petco Park would cause backlash on such an idea. Would still be nice though to see a Blue Jays-like revamp with home whites featuring the brown and yellow (maybe a touch of orange), sand-colored roads similar to 2004-2010, a brown alt, yellow bp jersey, and the classic tapered panel cap for home with maybe a solid brown for the road.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be nothing but the guys from Brandiose had free seats to last nights padres game. Possible rebrand in the works? They are known supporters of the old colors.

padres_zps413d6ff2.png

It would be nice, but I fear that the mismatch of the old colors with the colors of Petco Park would cause backlash on such an idea. Would still be nice though to see a Blue Jays-like revamp with home whites featuring the brown and yellow (maybe a touch of orange), sand-colored roads similar to 2004-2010, a brown alt, yellow bp jersey, and the classic tapered panel cap for home with maybe a solid brown for the road.

A lot of teams play in ballparks who's colors don't match their uniforms. Besides, paint is cheap.

The Yankees just presented Hideki Matsui with a jersey that he never wore. Not only did it feature the WS Champions patch that the Yankees never wore on the field, but it features the 2010 batterman logo (blue-gray), rather than the 2009 version (blue-red).

It's always bugged my how the Yankees do that. Grey/silver is not part of your colour scheme. Plus, it often gets lost on the jerseys, leaving just the navy portion visible.

Here's a picture of what I was talking about. Patch on the right never saw the field, and 2009 (Matsui's last year with the Yanks) was the last year of the Blue-White-Red batterman.

130728151238-hideki-matsui-single-image-cut.jpg

I kinda hate it too, but I guess it makes sense. Red doesn't appear anywhere else in the uniform. Gray at least shows up on the road. I guess the idea is to try and move the Yankees away from Red to distinguish them from the Red Sox. For what it's worth, I do like the new batterman on the caps. Now when I see someone wearing a ballcap from behind, all I have to see is the batterman to know it's a Yankees hat. Before, it could have been any other number of teams.

EDIT: Just noticed this - the jersey also has the Majestic logo, which Yankees gamers don't have:

mo.jpg

Anubis.png

Paint isn't as cheap as one might think, plus you have to take into account signage and such at the ballpark as well, which costs even more.

The Padres situation is one that saddens me because I'm torn. Having been to Petco Park in person, I notice that the navy blue fits not just the ballpark, but also the surrounding Gas Lamp quarter of downtown, very well. This unfortunately seems to make a hypothetical return to brown and gold very contrived and forced.

Just my two cents, I truly wish the two could coexist.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

The Astros just changed their colors, in 2007 the Diamondbacks completely changed their colors. The Padres could switch to brown and yellow if they wanted to. They're not married to navy blue just because of the ballpark. Besides, navy blue can be a neutral color of sorts. Many teams use seat colors that don't match a color in their uniforms.

If the Padres want to switch back to brown and yellow (I think they should) the ballpark won't stop them.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree - there are plenty of teams playing in parks with green seats, and only one of 'em is in Oakland.

Dodger Stadium's seats are yellow, light orange, turquoise and sky blue. Not a single Dodger Blue seat in the place.

The color of the seats isn't in any way an impediment to the Padres reclaiming brown and gold.

and same goes for the walls, there are so many stadiums with green walls, and like gothamite oakland has green in their uni's, and im sure you can fine the same thing for blue walls

Shoot-

Look at all the green at Marlins park. It looks beautiful to me, but green isn't one of their colors

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

The Astros just changed their colors, in 2007 the Diamondbacks completely changed their colors. The Padres could switch to brown and yellow if they wanted to. They're not married to navy blue just because of the ballpark. Besides, navy blue can be a neutral color of sorts. Many teams use seat colors that don't match a color in their uniforms.

If the Padres want to switch back to brown and yellow (I think they should) the ballpark won't stop them.

Hell, PNC Park in Pittsburgh has navy blue seats for a black and gold team. Philly as well, navy blue seats and a primarily red team.

So now that the "Padres can't change colors because of the stadium" theory has been debunked.....

This is probably the 9th or 10th game I've watched the Cardinals wear red hats and helmets on the road. They look like the Angels, especially with that round Stan Musial patch on the sleeves. I don't understand how anyone can say it's upgrade over the navy blue hats and helmets.

Hopefully they pull them out when they get to Cincinnati this weekend like they did last time they were here.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So now that the "Padres can't change colors because of the stadium" theory has been debunked.....

This is probably the 9th or 10th game I've watched the Cardinals wear red hats and helmets on the road. They look like the Angels, especially with that round Stan Musial patch on the sleeves. I don't understand how anyone can say it's upgrade over the navy blue hats and helmets.

Hopefully they pull them out when they get to Cincinnati this weekend like they did last time they were here.

Hopefully after this disaster of a trip they ditch them permanently

I don't understand how anyone can say it's upgrade over the navy blue hats and helmets.

It is an upgrade for two reasons:

1. Wearing red as much as possible suits the team's namesake.

2. Navy is extremely boring and almost the entire league wears it.

Your reasoning makes sense, though I disagree with navy being "extremely" boring and only 14 teams use it any capacity with 11 being primarily navy so "entire league" is a bit hyperbolic, but it still comes down to appearance for me on this and the Cardinals don't look nearly as good on the road when they wear red hats.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't understand how anyone can say it's upgrade over the navy blue hats and helmets.

Your reasoning makes sense, though I disagree with navy being "extremely" boring and only 14 teams use it any capacity with 11 being primarily navy so "entire league" is a bit hyperbolic, but it still comes down to appearance for me on this and the Cardinals don't look nearly as good on the road when they wear red hats.

It may be an exaggeration, but 11 is still over one third of the league. Isn't that a little much? Wouldnt you rather they be like the four teams with red on the road than the eleven with blue? i think they look good because they are set apart from most teams in the division. I agree with lights out that it definitely fits the name better.

I actually don't get why the blue is more popular. Is it because of the blue belts? Or because of the white in the logo and the grey pants and jersey? Honest question.

spacer.png

The navy caps have a long(er than the red) history with the Cardinals. Musial never even wore a red cap as a player. It ties the overall history together. You get the red at home and then the navy on the road. Plus one of those four red teams happen to be one of the arch division rivals. I think the red cap on the road looks great, but I just think the navy looks better. Plus they had navy long before some of these other teams.

and they were the ones that brought back the baseball tradition of wearing different home and road hats when they dumped the pullovers in 1992. Their identity is that their home and road looks are different. That became theirs and the switch to red hats ends that.

They don't look like themselves on the road anymore.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I do understand why people prefer the Cards always wear read caps. Your #1, as McCarthy said, makes sense. But I totally disagree with your #2. The blue Cards cap is probably my favorite MLB cap ever. It looks great on the road and I love that the cards did that. Yeah too many teams wear navy, but so be it. It's a "baseball" color and the Cards are a traditional team. They look good either way, but there is just something about that blue hat...(for me)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My .02 on the Cards (which doesn't matter) I think the red on the road flows better because of a red wordmark/numbers/socks. If they were to flip the red/navy, then I think the navy would look better. I feel they could (I know, tradition doesn't allow) have a red home alternate (just don't go color on color like the Angels and have white numbers/wordmark) and a navy road alternate (color the cream navy and drop the cream).

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived