2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

They have been the sun rays ever since they dropped the devil part of their name.

Then why do they still wear the animal-ray patch?

Besides, the sun-ray thing came later. When they first dropped "Devil" there was no sign of it:

*Gorgeous Devil Rays Unis*

It wasn't until the most recent re-brand that they introduced the "both kind of Rays" mess.

Technically they were still the Devil Rays in this uni. Just the word was dropped from the jersey.

This has to be the biggest identity failure in the history of mlb. They have gone through 3 major redesigns and not a single one (with the possible exception being the green/blue) having any sort of distinct identity worth buiilding on.

Do you mean three vastly different designs (rainbow, green/blue, current), or three major redesigns (ie. four vastly different designs)? If it was the latter, I disagree. While they did make some notable changes during the green/blue days (vests, scripts, piping), the uniforms were still mostly the same and had the same general design.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have been the sun rays ever since they dropped the devil part of their name.

Besides, the sun-ray thing came later. When they first dropped "Devil" there was no sign of it:

fer0uv8ssbewvuj5kkp0vekp4.gif

It wasn't until the most recent re-brand that they introduced the "both kind of Rays" mess.

As was pointed out by Astro, they were still the Devil Rays then. Just dropped it from their jerseys like pansies.

And the only reason the animal was left on there was to pay tribute to Namoli and the past, the name had nothing to do with the animal anymore.

"We are now the 'Rays' - a beacon that radiates throughout Tampa Bay and across the entire state of Florida," said Stuart Sternberg, the team's principal owner. "Tampa Bay and the Sunshine State are beautiful places. We want the Rays to reflect the best our region has to offer."

While the name and uniform change send a clear message that the team is entering a new era, the organization will not remove all connection to its first ten years of play as the Devil Rays. An updated Devil Ray patch will continue to be worn on the left sleeve of the jersey

2ly2w09.jpg

fer0uv8ssbewvuj5kkp0vekp4.gif

As was pointed out by Astro, they were still the Devil Rays then. Just dropped it from their jerseys like pansies.

And the only reason the animal was left on there was to pay tribute to Namoli and the past, the name had nothing to do with the animal anymore.

"We are now the 'Rays' - a beacon that radiates throughout Tampa Bay and across the entire state of Florida," said Stuart Sternberg, the team's principal owner. "Tampa Bay and the Sunshine State are beautiful places. We want the Rays to reflect the best our region has to offer."

While the name and uniform change send a clear message that the team is entering a new era, the organization will not remove all connection to its first ten years of play as the Devil Rays. An updated Devil Ray patch will continue to be worn on the left sleeve of the jersey

Just because a business owner wants to reimage their organization does not make it so. Public perception is everything and this club clearly has not made a clean break away from the sea creature regardless of the owner's perception.

To most fans outside the local team area there will always be some connotation with devil/sea/manta/ whatever Rays.

Anyone know when the Rays officially dropped the ray patch from the sleeve of the navy alternate? Google image searches have led me to believe there was a time when it was both on and off, depending on the player.

The navy jersey never had the ray patch.

That's what I thought as well. However the Trop has a gameworn gear store and has 2-3 navy ones with the ray on the sleeve. They were no-name players (or at least no-name to a guy like me who is a casual at best fan) and the employee there couldn't say for sure what season they were from.

Have them check the inside of the collar?

AdBAiTPm.jpg

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

ASG13Derby_zps6716a688.png

Though it's the bottom base of the home run derby trophy, the podium holding the year "2013," for some reason, bothers me. If only the year was stylized in the same font as the rest of the logo. Or at least the apple's complementary top hat made an appearance here.

When did teams start that?

My game worn jersey from 2010 has it.

The Rays have been bad about consistently tagging their jerseys, so it might be authentic but untagged.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

It's ironic they are the rays of sunshine now but have never played a game under the Tampa sun.

Also, not all teams tag the same way. My rox gamers just have the year tag at the bottom of the jersey near the jock tag. I'm fairly sure some teams don't do the year tagging at all.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Archived