2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I like the idea of having multiple uniforms and helmets, I do think the NFL should put some sort of regulation in place...make it so it can get unique but not totally out of control like it is in College Football.

The NFL does have regulation in place. There's no need for mix-'n'-match scenarios beyond what we have. If you get into that realm, you're going to get into the absurd. NCAA has shown that.

Are you saying you want every team to wear white helmet white uniform color helmet color uniform then throw in a grey or anthracite helmet with matching uniforms?

What a great identity NFL teams would have then.

Hell ya! Throw a little variety in there once in a while. I would say though that playoff games and the SB should be strictly regulated, but during the season they should be able to go crazy every once in a while.

Are you saying you want every team to wear white helmet white uniform color helmet color uniform then throw in a grey or anthracite helmet with matching uniforms?

Hell ya! Throw a little variety in there once in a while. I would say though that playoff games and the SB should be strictly regulated, but during the season they should be able to go crazy every once in a while.

I mean this in the most polite manner possible, but I fear for aesthetics in the future of sports because of the views of my and coming generations. Branding should not be a free for all.

I mean this in the most polite manner possible, but I fear for aesthetics in the future of sports because of the views of my and coming generations. Branding should not be a free for all.

Seriously? alright, I'm going to preface this by saying I CAN'T STAND SOCCER but one thing those guys got right is a variety of looks that still represent the same brand. It can be done in the NFL, it has been done in other leagues, and in all likely hood, it will be done in the NFL in the next 5-10 years. Why you guys on here are so afraid of change is beyond me. Nike honestly needs to grab a few teams in this league and drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century!

Ok, rant over.

No, Nike needs to fix some of the small problems (Chiefs and bears stripes, jags piping from last set, etc) which I think they have done a great job with.

After that the only thing Nike needs to do is help design good looking uniforms for teams that want them, whether modern or traditional.

The last thing we need is uniforms that are cutting edge or revolutionary that in 10-20 years will look as bad as the Broncos, Chargers, Pats, Falcons and others look now.

I will admit, I am a little in favor of the traditional side but do love modern when done correctly aka the previous Oregon set.

P.S. I see NO problem with two helmets designated as primary (14 games) and secondary (2) or home and road (8 games each). My only requirement would be home and road must have the same logo and secondary could have an Alt logo. Helmet color is in team primary or secondary color or white, and face mask in white, grey or team color. NO GFGS or BFBS helmets!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

the only thing Nike needs to do is help design good looking uniforms for teams that want them, whether modern or traditional.

This guy has the right idea.

Don't think that slapping Chrome on everything with subliminal ______ print on the numbers is gonna work for everybody.

bSLCtu2.png

Interesting little tidbit from a sports anchor that was one of 10 people to see the uniform yesterday at Nike HQ. He said Khan (Jags owner) and a really big hand in the design and his style shows in the uni. I have no idea what that means but his stache is pretty cool. :D

He was also kind of hinting that the helmet isn't just a black shell. He said people would be talking about it. All of this is FWIW but I find little "hints" like this fun.

Did he happen to mention if he liked the overall look or whether he thought they were an improvement?

He said he loved it. Could be rah rah speak but he was meh on the logo change and wasn't shy about it.

Awesome...good to hear someone from outside the organization say they liked it.

He said it wasn't as "Oregon like" as he thought it would be.

I actually think that is disappointing but I prepared myself for this when I heard the numbering had to be in sharp contrast to the uniform color. I wish the NFL would loosen up with the uniform rules.

I hope the NFL does not loosen up the rules because every NFL team will have at least 3 different helmets & every team will have gray alternates just like a lot of Nikes colleges do.

There is a difference between loosening the rules and getting rid of the rules. I understand what you are saying but sometimes the NFL lives up to its reputation as the "No Fun League".

TJo9OPT.jpg

I know this is just speculation, but I'm seeing a sunburst on the sleeves, kind of like a lot of the concepts here...

Looks like a swoosh.

it is, but there is a sunburst under it.

you said earlier you had a pic from the waist up. Can i see?

spacer.png

Interesting little tidbit from a sports anchor that was one of 10 people to see the uniform yesterday at Nike HQ. He said Khan (Jags owner) and a really big hand in the design and his style shows in the uni. I have no idea what that means but his stache is pretty cool. :D

He was also kind of hinting that the helmet isn't just a black shell. He said people would be talking about it. All of this is FWIW but I find little "hints" like this fun.

Did he happen to mention if he liked the overall look or whether he thought they were an improvement?

He said he loved it. Could be rah rah speak but he was meh on the logo change and wasn't shy about it.

I actually think that is disappointing but I prepared myself for this when I heard the numbering had to be in sharp contrast to the uniform color. I wish the NFL would loosen up with the uniform rules.

I hope the NFL does not loosen up the rules because every NFL team will have at least 3 different helmets & every team will have gray alternates just like a lot of Nikes colleges do.

There is a difference between loosening the rules and getting rid of the rules. I understand what you are saying but sometimes the NFL lives up to its reputation as the "No Fun League".

Actually, the NFL needs to tighten up their rules. Not necessarily add rules, but more strictly enforce the ones they have (sleeves should cover the pads completely, socks should be half white, etc...). And all Nike "needs" to do is work with the teams, make suggestions, and, ultimately, do what they're told. One quick glance at the state of uniforms on the college level shows you the pile of reeking garbage you'll end up with when uniform manufacturers are given carte blanche to also be uniform designers, and "brand gurus."

This makes me think that no way it's chrome gold. If I was expecting an Oregon like helmet from the Jags I'd think Chrome.

I think they should more tightly enforce the rules they have now that make the uniforms more "uniform," like socks and making the jersey cover the pads. I would also allow for more variation with the actual uniforms though. For example, teams could have an alternate helmet that is not a throwback that could be worn for 2 games a year, no playoffs. The "home" and "road" jerseys would have to be worn at least 6 times a year for each, an alternate uniform could be worn twice, and a throwback could be worn twice. For example, the Dolphins would have to wear aqua jerseys 6 times and white jerseys six times, then wear an alternate orange jersey twice with an aqua helmet, then wear a throwback uniform twice. This would limit uniforms from becoming NCAA-like while still allowing for differences in the look for the team. Finally, I believe that rules for the number of uniforms in the preseason should be thrown out so teams can wear prototypes then to get fan reception. This would also make it more special for someone to make the team because they would finally earn a full team jersey to wear.

Seriously? alright, I'm going to preface this by saying I CAN'T STAND SOCCER but one thing those guys got right is a variety of looks that still represent the same brand. It can be done in the NFL, it has been done in other leagues, and in all likely hood, it will be done in the NFL in the next 5-10 years. Why you guys on here are so afraid of change is beyond me. Nike honestly needs to grab a few teams in this league and drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century!

Ok, rant over.

Soccer isn't the NFL, and they represent the same brand because they use recognizable design elements (in the successful designs). What I expect we'll see from the Vikings is (probably) going to be a good example of "going into the 21st century."

Throwing sublimation, matted helmets, random designs that are vaguely based on some inspiration, and themes not based on a franchise's history isn't an exercise in good design necessarily. And no, Nike shouldn't drag anyone to do anything. Nike works for the teams - the teams don't work for Nike.

I think they should more tightly enforce the rules they have now that make the uniforms more "uniform," like socks and making the jersey cover the pads. I would also allow for more variation with the actual uniforms though. For example, teams could have an alternate helmet that is not a throwback that could be worn for 2 games a year, no playoffs. The "home" and "road" jerseys would have to be worn at least 6 times a year for each, an alternate uniform could be worn twice, and a throwback could be worn twice. For example, the Dolphins would have to wear aqua jerseys 6 times and white jerseys six times, then wear an alternate orange jersey twice with an aqua helmet, then wear a throwback uniform twice. This would limit uniforms from becoming NCAA-like while still allowing for differences in the look for the team. Finally, I believe that rules for the number of uniforms in the preseason should be thrown out so teams can wear prototypes then to get fan reception. This would also make it more special for someone to make the team because they would finally earn a full team jersey to wear.

I'm OK with a home/road helmet, but I think it absolutely has to come with a designated home and road set. Mixing and matching isn't something the NFL needs. The game shouldn't be about "what are the ______ wearing this week?"

I'm OK with a home/road helmet, but I think it absolutely has to come with a designated home and road set. Mixing and matching isn't something the NFL needs. The game shouldn't be about "what are the ______ wearing this week?"

More equipment to clean, maintain and carry around? Not very smart.

Go A's!

Teams already carry duplicates of helmets for some players in addition to helmets designated for practice (for some clubs if I'm not mistaken).

Adding a second set - and only traveling with one set - isn't that huge of a worry. Personally, I'm fine with the rules as they are, but I'm not opposed to a two-helmet league with the caveat that your home and road set is designated before the season starts and you cannot deviate from those defined sets.

Teams already carry duplicates of helmets for some players in addition to helmets designated for practice (for some clubs if I'm not mistaken).

Adding a second set - and only traveling with one set - isn't that huge of a worry. Personally, I'm fine with the rules as they are, but I'm not opposed to a two-helmet league with the caveat that your home and road set is designated before the season starts and you cannot deviate from those defined sets.

I suppose if the teams want to handle with more equipment, that's on them. For me, there's no need to add on an extra helmet for the sake of just having two. With the uniform itself enough to differentiate the two teams, extra helmets adds more to something that isn't needed

Go A's!

Archived